Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yankees’ Matt Blake hire could be blueprint for next hitting coach

By Dan Martin
    October 15, 2021 8:53pm Updated

https://nypost.com/2021/10/15/yankee...ign=SocialFlow

Not sure how much of a good thing that is .

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    By Dan Martin
    October 15, 2021 8:53pm Updated

https://nypost.com/2021/10/15/yankee...ign=SocialFlow
    Sounds Good to Me, since Blake did an excellent job with the pitching staff, just as long as he serves only to enhance their existing talents, like Blake does and not change them all to HR/BB/K hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Sounds Good to Me, since Blake did an excellent job with the pitching staff, just as long as he serves only to enhance their existing talents, like Blake does and not change them all to HR/BB/K hitters.
    How excellent of a job did Blake do? I mean one season is a small example to use to determine how well of a job Blake did , especially when most of the pitching staff was very good to great before this season . And of course the new ball that was used this season I am sure helped too . Now I am not saying Blake isn’t good or great . Just questioning the amount of credit he is getting that’s all

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Without question!
    I am not certain if they are suggesting Lawson as the new hitting coach but with the way some of the minor leaguers jumped off the charts this past year, I think he'd be a good choice.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Without question!
    I am not certain if they are suggesting Lawson as the new hitting coach but with the way some of the minor leaguers jumped off the charts this past year, I think he'd be a good choice.
    Correct me if I am wrong but weren’t the minor leagues still using the juiced ball this season ?

7. 10-17-2021, 01:16 PM
    Reason
    on second thought.....forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but weren’t the minor leagues still using the juiced ball this season ?
    Do your research and get back to me.

Ignorance is bliss

Do your research and get back to me.
    Just did and according to this article they in fact did use juiced balls from last year in the minors . AAA did use some of the newer balls . Either way the offense in the minors exploded this past season so it’s not just the Yankees minor leaguers hitting so much better because of their hitting coach
    https://www.royalsreview.com/2021/7/...rs-is-up-a-lot

Just did and according to this article they in fact did use juiced balls from last year in the minors . AAA did use some of the newer balls . Either way the offense in the minors exploded this past season so it’s not just the Yankees minor leaguers hitting so much better because of their hitting coach
    https://www.royalsreview.com/2021/7/...rs-is-up-a-lot
    Not quite but close

Who's a good boy? You want a treat?

Ignorance is bliss

I love what Blake did this yr with our pitching staff, but Cressey and Briend all play a big role in the Yanks pitching, both at the MLB and in the system. They, all 3, helped make us one of the better pitching staff in baseball last yr and we had an unbelievable yr on the farm.

IMO, having a group, in the pitching coaches case, 3 guys that are in charge of both the MLB and MILB so they are all on the same page was a wonderful idea. If they can do the same with the hitting coaches that would be a great move, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I love what Blake did this yr with our pitching staff, but Cressey and Briend all play a big role in the Yanks pitching, both at the MLB and in the system. They, all 3, helped make us one of the better pitching staff in baseball last yr and we had an unbelievable yr on the farm.

IMO, having a group, in the pitching coaches case, 3 guys that are in charge of both the MLB and MILB so they are all on the same page was a wonderful idea. If they can do the same with the hitting coaches that would be a great move, IMO.
    in regards to Lawson, who was mentioned in the article, am I mistaken or were there some significant improvements within the season, successful adjustments, for quite a few hitters? Volpe is a stand out. Did he start the season on fire? Or did the proverbial switch go off, mid season? From my understanding, something clicked. In your opinion, is that a result of good hitting coaches and philosophy in the minors?

Ignorance is bliss

in regards to Lawson, who was mentioned in the article, am I mistaken or were there some significant improvements within the season, successful adjustments, for quite a few hitters? Volpe is a stand out. Did he start the season on fire? Or did the proverbial switch go off, mid season? From my understanding, something clicked. In your opinion, is that a result of good hitting coaches and philosophy in the minors?
    Yes i 100% agree that the huge yr we had on the farm was the result of great coaching and philosophy. You don't have the number of breakout season we had this yr without good coaching.

As far as the ball, everyone was using the same ball in the MILB, but we had so many huge season compared to other organizations. That doesn't happen on both sides of the ball without great coaching and player development philosophies. They overhauled the entire MILB coaching and development after the 19 season, what we are seeing now is a result of that, IMO

IMO, it started very early in the yr, Duran, Hauver, Smith, all 3 specs used in the Gallo trade, started on fire. Volpe, Peraza clicked pretty early also. Guys like Wells, Pereira, Breaux, Sands, O Cabrera and many, many others clicked later in the season.

You don't have the best yr in 20yrs plus on the farm without having some excellent coaching. You also don't see a large numbers of kids have career yrs and in some cases completely change their spec profile, if the hitting coaches aren't doing something incredibly well. In a normal yr, most teams hope that 4-5 guys have breakout seasons, we had 20 plus do that this yr.

We also had the 2nd best winning %, behind the Rays, of all our minor league teams. That doesn't happen without incredibly strong player development.

Another thing is if you look at the way the vast majority of hitter are developing, they aren't developing 3 true outcome players. They are building these guys to be all around good hitters, making more contact, walking more, striking out less. If you look at our best specs, they don't have crazy k%, the majority of them aren't striking out like the mlb team. Thats another result of good coaching, IMO
    Last edited by dayners81; 10-17-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Yes i 100% agree that the huge yr we had on the farm was the result of great coaching and philosophy. You don't have the number of breakout season we had this yr without good coaching.

As far as the ball, everyone was using the same ball in the MILB, but we had so many huge season compared to other organizations. That doesn't happen on both sides of the ball without great coaching and player development philosophies. They overhauled the entire MILB coaching and development after the 19 season, what we are seeing now is a result of that, IMO

IMO, it started very early in the yr, Duran, Hauver, Smith, all 3 specs used in the Gallo trade, started on fire. Volpe, Peraza clicked pretty early also. Guys like Wells, Pereira, Breaux, Sands, O Cabrera and many, many others clicked later in the season.

You don't have the best yr in 20yrs plus on the farm without having some excellent coaching. You also don't see a large numbers of kids have career yrs and in some cases completely change their spec profile, if the hitting coaches aren't doing something incredibly well. In a normal yr, most teams hope that 4-5 guys have breakout seasons, we had 20 plus do that this yr.

We also had the 2nd best winning %, behind the Rays, of all our minor league teams. That doesn't happen without incredibly strong player development.

Another thing is if you look at the way the vast majority of hitter are developing, they aren't developing 3 true outcome players. They are building these guys to be all around good hitters, making more contact, walking more, striking out less. If you look at our best specs, they don't have crazy k%, the majority of them aren't striking out like the mlb team. Thats another result of good coaching, IMO

That’s great to hear . I just hope it translates to the major league level. Cause we all know the minors isn’t the same as the majors

That’s great to hear . I just hope it translates to the major league level. Cause we all know the minors isn’t the same as the majors
    No it isn't, but if you develop kids with a strong fundamental base, it will help when they get to the MLB level for them to continue playing that way. Thats why strong coaching and development is so important.

It's incredibly interesting that one of the complaints were hearing is that their is a huge disconnect between the MILB and MLB coaching philosophies. Is that why players that we developed like Torres, Sanchez, Frazier, Andujar and even Judge to a point, haven't been as good since their early part of their careers. It makes sense that they are looking to promote from with in to minimize the disconnect between the developmental and MLB teams

No it isn't, but if you develop kids with a strong fundamental base, it will help when they get to the MLB level for them to continue playing that way. Thats why strong coaching and development is so important.

It's incredibly interesting that one of the complaints were hearing is that their is a huge disconnect between the MILB and MLB coaching philosophies. Is that why players that we developed like Torres, Sanchez, Frazier, Andujar and even Judge to a point, haven't been as good since their early part of their careers. It makes sense that they are looking to promote from with in to minimize the disconnect between the developmental and MLB teams
    How do we know that just wasn’t cashman and the FO just making more scapegoats of the mlb coaching ? We all know cashman blames others before admitting he was wrong . And it shouldn’t have taken 5 years for cashman to see that “ disconnect “ .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast