Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Yep we’re pretty ****ed with this schedule. Hope it will at least make Fields better playing against the best competition as a rookie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK it is Sportsmockery but he has a point on WR seperation:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicag...-are-alarming/

That second part is perhaps the most alarming in all of this. The Bears were convinced they’d “upgraded” at wide receiver this offseason. After all, they certainly did their best to find more speed. Guys like Marquise Goodwin and Damiere Byrd were prime targets. Along with Allen Robinson and an ascending Darnell Mooney? This had the makings of a strong*group. Or so everybody thought.

The numbers illustrate players who’ve had a difficult time getting open consistently.

I did some research and found an interesting stat. Something called “contested targets.” In other words, these were passes where a defender was right on top of a receiver. After compiling the numbers so far this season, I came away with this data.

91 targets were to Bears WRs

25 were contested (27.47%)

10 were caught

Now 27% doesn’t sound too bad right? Well, let’s compare. Here are the numbers for the Arizona Cardinals. The last undefeated team in the NFL and boasting one of the hottest passing offenses in the league.

105 targets to WRs

20 were contested (19.04%)

12 were caught

Or what about the Baltimore Ravens? A team that everybody accused of having no credible receivers when the season began.

106 targets to WRs

14 were contested (13.20%)

8 were caught

Or hell, what about the New England Patriots? They have a rookie QB too and on paper, their receivers shouldn’t be anywhere close to the same level as Chicago’s.

94 targets to WRs

24 were contested (25.53%)

18 were caught

So not only are Bears receivers struggling to get open. They aren’t making the tough catches when they’re covered too. It’s little wonder the team can’t consistently put drives together.

Looking back at the highlights, I feel a lot better about Fields moving forward than I did after the game - was probably more down on the game overall than anything. Still some obvious things to work on and the chemistry just doesn't seem to be there with ARob (who also seems to struggle with separation now - IMO he's a guy you don't pay top WR $$$ unless he really turns it around), but Fields made enough plays to be really encouraged by.

The talent just isn't there yet around him and it's pretty clear this isn't the right coaching staff for him either.

I don't want to actively root for losses, but I'll feel a lot better about his career trajectory if they fire Nagy and go get the right coach. It's a much more attractive job, even without a 1st round pick, because of Fields. It may be the best job available unless Denver fires Fangio.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 10-18-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Week 6: Packers (4-1) @ Bears (3-2)

Bears pff grades

Jaylon Johnson worse game of his career?

LT Jason Peters – 88.5

TE Cole Kmet – 74.1

RB Khalil Herbert – 70.7

WR Damiere Byrd – 39.4

TE Jesse James – 42.3

C Sam Mustipher – 46.6

ILB Danny Trevathan – 91.6

ILB Roquan Smith – 82.7

DT Bilal Nichols – 82.0

CB Jaylon Johnson – 28.2

ILB Alec Ogletree – 28.8

S Tashaun Gipson – 37.8

RT Elijah Wilkinson – 51.8

QB Justin Fields – 60.7

OLB Khalil Mack – 72.1

DT Akiem Hicks – 66.1

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Don't even wanna think about what TB is gonna do to us next week. I guess they're not as strong defensively as they were last year, but still. Could see that easily being a slaughter with our secondary being what it is. Their O-line being what it is and Brady being Brady, I think we'll be in for a long day.
    I think Fields is gonna be crazy good fairly soon. When he starts putting his spin on the ****** gameplans from Nagy/Lazor, things will start shifting.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bears88 View Post
    Bears pff grades

LT Jason Peters – 88.5

TE Cole Kmet – 74.1

RB Khalil Herbert – 70.7

WR Damiere Byrd – 39.4

TE Jesse James – 42.3

C Sam Mustipher – 46.6

ILB Roquan Smith – 82.7

DT Bilal Nichols – 82.0

CB Jaylon Johnson – 28.2

ILB Alec Ogletree – 28.8

S Tashaun Gipson – 37.8

QB Justin Fields – 60.7

OLB Khalil Mack – 72.1

DT Akiem Hicks – 66.1

Hard to believe, but we might actually want Peters back next year lol

Let's also hope Kmet can build on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bears88 View Post
    Bears pff grades

LT Jason Peters – 88.5

TE Cole Kmet – 74.1

RB Khalil Herbert – 70.7

WR Damiere Byrd – 39.4

TE Jesse James – 42.3

C Sam Mustipher – 46.6

ILB Roquan Smith – 82.7

DT Bilal Nichols – 82.0

CB Jaylon Johnson – 28.2

ILB Alec Ogletree – 28.8

S Tashaun Gipson – 37.8

QB Justin Fields – 60.7

OLB Khalil Mack – 72.1

DT Akiem Hicks – 66.1

I wonder what Eddie Jackson's grade was?

It couldn't have been very good.

I admittedly don’t know much about college football this year, but we really should look at targeting some weapons for Fields. I’m talking receivers that have speed AND create separation. Outside of Mooney, we really don’t have that. Even Robinson really isn’t there this year. I think this should be a huge priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I admittedly don’t know much about college football this year, but we really should look at targeting some weapons for Fields. I’m talking receivers that have speed AND create separation. Outside of Mooney, we really don’t have that. Even Robinson really isn’t there this year. I think this should be a huge priority.

Definitely. This is a strong WR draft too, so there's likely a good one available in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Definitely. This is a strong WR draft too, so there's likely a good one available in the 2nd round.
    I’m gonna have to do some research on it. I was firmly in the camp of resigning Robinson, but I think you need to look towards adding a different type of receiver. The position needs a drastic overhaul (it’s also not the only one sadly).

we continue to say how bad this team is, and i'll admit we are a middle of the road football team, but we were down only 3 points with 8 minutes left in 1 of the WORST officiated games ive ever seen, Fields is learning on the job, i really wish they woulda just gave him the job from day 1 some these thing shouldve/couldve been worked out in OTA's and training camp.....well hopefully we can win 2 of the next 3 and regroup at the bye with a 5-4 record

I've seen people on Twitter discuss the idea of trading Allen Robinson at the deadline. I can see the pros and cons to the move. On the one hand, we won't be in contention this year and need all the draft capital we can get, and A-Rob really hasn't done much this year. On the other hand, Fields also needs all the help he can get, so hard for me to have a strong opinion one way or the other.

I think if you can get a day 2 pick tho you have to do it. Not sure if that's gonna get us laughed at by every GM in the league, but I think that'd be my approach.

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast