Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Gruden Under Investigation for Racist Trope in Email

Mark Davis and the Raiders are investigating Gruden for an email with a comment that could be viewed as racially charged. This occurred 10 years ago while Gruden was working for ESPN.

Gruden claims that he doesn't remember writing the email. He nevertheless tried his best to explain/sanitize the context and apologized.

We'll have to wait and see if anything comes of this. My gut is that Mark will probably suspend Jon for a game or two, if there is enough of a public outcry, if there is enough of an internal outcry within the organization and locker room, or if more emails turn up with a similar tone. Not that Mark seems like the type to wait and see how the wind blows before he acts.

Link to the article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...is-disturbing/

I dunno, This might be a unpopular view, But when people talk among friends, They say things they don't really mean. I can't see Gruden being racist and making it as far as he has in coaching. But in todays world you have a bunch of people who are earning attention and this is just another story to grab views.

This might seem unpopular, but I'm glad he came out and apologized. The coded statement he made was racist. Against a powerful and respected Black man. De hasn't spoken to him in 10 years off of that type of garbage.

Maybe Gruden has grown as a person, he should use this as a moment to grow further.

My man Ike got a bad rap

Quote Originally Posted by sicknick12 View Post
    I dunno, This might be a unpopular view, But when people talk among friends, They say things they don't really mean. I can't see Gruden being racist and making it as far as he has in coaching. But in todays world you have a bunch of people who are earning attention and this is just another story to grab views.
    Depends on context. Yes people say things they don't mean among friends ... But that's when your friends know you don't mean anything bad.

OTOH it's often a defense of people who DO mean it that they were "just joking" when really they weren't. And when something racist comes out when a guy is upset, then sorry to say but that's generally not an innocent mistake. I don't know which category this is.

If this is serious enough to lose Gruden the locker room, then he needs to be gone. It's like when JDR lost command, you could see the difference in the team.

We'll see as more comes out, but this is just the sort of crap we don't need as we hope to bounce back on a short week.

Time to get out of that 10 year contract yíall [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gruden isn't a racist. Mediocre football coach but not a racist.

On a comment he made 10 years ago? He apologized. Let's move on.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Iím sure thatís what mark would like to do, but Iím guessing in this day and age it will come down to what the PR hit is going to be.

ďItís a businessĒ extends to coaches and league/franchise images too.

I would think it would be extremely harsh to be severely punished for a privately leaked personal email from over a decade ago.

I consider myself a really good person, but Iím sure you could take quotes from around the dinner table, joking around with family members over the years, and publish them and make me seem otherwise.

Remember the good old days, when the biggest concern was the offensive line? Ah good times those were 24 hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay View Post
    Iím sure thatís what mark would like to do, but Iím guessing in this day and age it will come down to what the PR hit is going to be.

ďItís a businessĒ extends to coaches and league/franchise images too.

I would think it would be extremely harsh to be severely punished for a privately leaked personal email from over a decade ago.

I consider myself a really good person, but Iím sure you could take quotes from around the dinner table, joking around with family members over the years, and publish them and make me seem otherwise.
    Agreed. We've all made comments from one time or another. My issue is why wasn't it an issue 10 years ago? They're playing politics for their own benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay View Post
    Remember the good old days, when the biggest concern was the offensive line? Ah good times those were 24 hours ago.
    Well, the biggest concern is and always will be leadership. You don't have a team if you don't have 53 players, plus another 16 on the practice squad willing to run through a brick wall for their head coach.

I personally think Gruden has more than enough equity to keep the locker room intact. But how he handles this situation matters. How Mark handles this situation matters. (I'm guessing Gruden is counting his blessings that he isn't dealing with Al Davis at this moment. We all know what Al would do. The Raiders players would show up to the team facility to find Jon's head on a pike. )

Right now the Raiders are in the headlines for all of the wrong reasons. They need to effectively resolve that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Well, the biggest concern is and always will be leadership. You don't have a team if you don't have 53 players, plus another 16 on the practice squad willing to run through a brick wall for their head coach.

I personally think Gruden has more than enough equity to keep the locker room intact. But how he handles this situation matters. How Mark handles this situation matters. (I'm guessing Gruden is counting his blessings that he isn't dealing with Al Davis at this moment. We all know what Al would do. The Raiders players would show up to the team facility to find Jon's head on a pike. )

Right now the Raiders are in the headlines for all of the wrong reasons. They need to effectively resolve that quickly.
    True. He said he addressed it with the team. How they show up tomorrow should give some indication how that went over. This weekend just got a whole lot more important.

Agreed. We've all made comments from one time or another. My issue is why wasn't it an issue 10 years ago? They're playing politics for their own benefit.
    The comment was only leaked this week. It was an email between Gruden and Bruce Allen, who was with Washington at the time. When the Washington Football Team's facilities were raided earlier in pursuit of evidence of another crime they came across Gruden's email.

The timing suggests nothing other than the fact that the Washington Football Team clearly does not have a functioning Document Retention Policy of any kind. Blame the idiots at the top for having this email archived some 10 years later to be discovered.

Edit: And yes, blame Gruden and Bruce for having a brutally unfiltered exchange on a corporate email platform. They would have been better off calling each other and venting over the phone.
    Last edited by RaiderLakersA's; 10-09-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    The comment was only leaked this week. It was an email between Gruden and Bruce Allen, who was with Washington at the time. When the Washington Football Team's facilities were raided earlier in pursuit of evidence of another crime they came across Gruden's email.

The timing suggests nothing other than the fact that the Washington Football Team clearly does not have a functioning Document Retention Policy of any kind. Blame the idiots at the top for having this email archived some 10 years later to be discovered.

Edit: And yes, blame Gruden and Bruce for having a brutally unfiltered exchange on a corporate email platform. They would have been better off calling each other and venting over the phone.
    Well. let's just say it's more sensitive today than 10 years ago. You can't mix personal comments on a business stage. The powers that be or may be were on a head hunting mission.

I really don't care that much personally ... people say stupid stuff all the time. I have no personal relationship with anyone on the team, they could all be a bunch of a-holes for all I care as long as they win. And a bunch of nice guys who lose doesn't do me any good as a fan.

However, if it loses Gruden a significant portion of the locker room, you can't just brush it off and move on because it was 10 years ago. If the team comes out this week and play like they did when JDR first lost the locker room, any arguments that it should really be no big deal become meaningless in the context of our season. I care about what's good for the Raiders, not what's good for Jon Gruden.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast