Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    So do you think there's 0 correlation between attendance and payroll, since TV deals pay for salaries for many clubs?
    Yes there is a correlation between attendance and payroll. However, when the owner of a team is a multi-billionaire and has a team which needs basically three good baseball players to contend for a World Series. Its not too much for a baseball fan to ask for is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
    Why should a fan go out to watch a game if their team is lousy? And baseball games are not cheap for the average fan let alone when you bring a few kids with you also. This Reinny "loyalty" factor really roils me.

I just do not understand why Reinny at his age doesn't "go for it". Its not like it he's going to lose any of his money on giving Hahn the go-ahead to bring more talent in. They need more talent to win a championship. Period. This team has holes in its line-up and pitching staff. Its not good enough to make the play-offs. Not when they are this close.
    fans shouldn't go, that's the answer. Especially when JR refuses to make the extra, above and beyond moves.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

We're 5th currently in payroll....
    That's good. that got them to where they are as a play-off team in a very weak division. Now they need at least two good players and maybe a 3rd at least average player to be a championship caliber team. If they stand pat or make a sort of Adam Eaton couple of moves, they are not going to go to a World Series. They have the talent to trade and Reinny has more than enough money to pay the salaries required.

Still 5th in the payroll, and it's Dec. 3. Who have the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, or Rays signed? Haven't even seen the Dodgers do much except bring back Taylor, haven't seen much from the Padres either. Spring Training starts in just under 3 months and we're going into a work stoppage, and half of the top FAs are still out there.

I've said previously in this thread I don't have much hope myself for big name FAs unless we move Kimbrel/Keuchel, but man can we have some patience? Bryant, Castellanos, Conforto, Story, Schwarber, Rodon, DeSclafani, Kershaw, Rosario, Villar, Cruz, Joc are just a few of the names still out there.
    I have patience. I just don't have confidence in Reinny spending money. I hope like hell that I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    You can tell the guys who never owned their own business don’t understand this concept. My family owns a construction company and we’d get a 5 million or so contract, and one of my friends that worked for us would act like we were mega millionaires. Didn’t take in account liability insurance, workers comp insurance, bonding %, massive payroll, equipment rentals, job related supplies, housing our employees for over a year, meals, equipment repairs, licensing and permits, use tax, just to name a few. Then they act like you can just pull any profit you make out of your company without paying taxes on that money, taxes on the profits in general, payroll tax, and so on. Meanwhile they can get up and leave whenever they want, whereas the business owner has 10s to 100s of ppl relying on them to survive.
    I owned my business (small business) for 10 years....It has nothing to do with the discussion we are having here!

No one should be defending Reinsdorf here....Over 40 years of owning our favorite team, he's proven over and over how he operates!! Do just enough not to be accused of "tanking", for the most part. He's always put the bottom line ahead of winning....No one can argue with that, some of you can try but the record speaks for itself!!!

I'm not saying he has to out spend everyone, that won't guarantee a WS...........It's just so many other things that he does like going out and hiring his friends and thinking he knows more about baseball then any other owner or person. Yet his overall record states the opposite!! My God how many other front offices can survive making the playoffs once every decade, and I'm not even mentioning wining it all!!!
    The self professed (I love baseball more then anything) man really loves the bottom line the most!!! That what the record says and it says he's failed at winning!!!

We literally signed the best catcher available 2 years ago and the best closer available last year. Also Free Agency has plenty of players left. We spent the 10th most of any team in 2020. Of those 10, 5 who spent more then us missed the playoffs.
    We also traded a player on a rookie deal for 19.5 million in Lance Lynn

We traded a player on a rookie deal for 15 million in Craig Kimbrel. Just because they weren't free agency signings, I think people overlook the $$$ we've added since fall of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    No one should be defending Reinsdorf here....Over 40 years of owning our favorite team, he's proven over and over how he operates!! Do just enough not to be accused of "tanking", for the most part. He's always put the bottom line ahead of winning....No one can argue with that, some of you can try but the record speaks for itself!!!
    I'm not defending Reinsdorf here. Just pointing out that it's clear as day some folks here have 0 clue as to what our current payroll status is and where it's heading. Sign sign sign is all they want, as if spending money in FA directly translates to winning a WS.

Attendance is a portion of revenues, as is television/radio contracts, merchandising, revenue sharing… etc.

Gate receipts accounts for around 35-40 % of MLB revenues, however I do not know if that includes concessions, parking…etc.

The Sox are generally around 12-16th in revenue over the years. Much of the television revenue is skewed by the large market teams procuring mega TV deals that dwarf many other teams.

The Sox’ franchise value is around 14th in MLB. If market size alone was the determinant of what a team brought in, the Sox would be much higher.

I'm not saying he has to out spend everyone, that won't guarantee a WS...........It's just so many other things that he does like going out and hiring his friends and thinking he knows more about baseball then any other owner or person. Yet his overall record states the opposite!! My God how many other front offices can survive making the playoffs once every decade, and I'm not even mentioning wining it all!!!
    The self professed (I love baseball more then anything) man really loves the bottom line the most!!! That what the record says and it says he's failed at winning!!!
    I get this and agree, but it's a bit different from the conversation via spending in FA.

We also traded a player on a rookie deal for 19.5 million in Lance Lynn

We traded a player on a rookie deal for 15 million in Craig Kimbrel. Just because they weren't free agency signings, I think people overlook the $$$ we've added since fall of 2019.
    I agree............But non of those players are...Harper, Machado, Cole ,Seager (the guy I was willing to overpay for) and on and on....Would one of these type of signings produced a ring...No guarantee....But it would have sent a message to players, fans and everyone else "Going for it big time"...We are someone to be reckoned with....

I moved to San Diego in 2015....No one talked Padres, now all you hear is Padres, Padres and Padres....And yes they haven't won it all, but they are relevant and are going for it .....

Thanks for that..........I thought he had it in his wallet....
    You act like it
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

You can tell the guys who never owned their own business don’t understand this concept. My family owns a construction company and we’d get a 5 million or so contract, and one of my friends that worked for us would act like we were mega millionaires. Didn’t take in account liability insurance, workers comp insurance, bonding %, massive payroll, equipment rentals, job related supplies, housing our employees for over a year, meals, equipment repairs, licensing and permits, use tax, just to name a few. Then they act like you can just pull any profit you make out of your company without paying taxes on that money, taxes on the profits in general, payroll tax, and so on. Meanwhile they can get up and leave whenever they want, whereas the business owner has 10s to 100s of ppl relying on them to survive.
    I am guessing profit wise (before taxes) is at best 30%
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast