Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 98
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,376

    Our drafting results and major shortcomings...

    With the news that Tanner Muse has been cut/released, it's just astounding how terrible our FO has been on various picks in the first three rounds of drafts... let's take a look back at the last few drafts and analyze. Hindsight being 20/20, we can still refer back to what most of us on the forum wanted vs. who the team actually picked.

    2020 Draft.
    1. Pick 12 - Henry Ruggs. I think most of us wanted CeeDee Lamb here, which would have been the correct pick. Ceedee went 17th to Dallas.
    1. Pick 19 - Damon Arnette. Travon Diggs or Jaylon Johnson would have been much better picks at this point than Arnette, who we all knew was a reach.
    3. Pick 80 - Lynn Bowden - This was a colossal mistake.
    3. Pick 81 - Bryan Edwards - This was the only decent/value pick so far, everything else has been a dumpster fire.
    3. Pick 100 - Tanner Muse - He's the reason for the creation of this thread. Major mistake.

    2019 Draft.
    1. Pick 4 - Clelin Ferrell - no need to get into this one, I think most of us preferred Devin White (who is being touted as a DPOY this year) or even Josh Allen or Ed Oliver, both of whom have been more productive so far... heck even Montez Sweat or Brian Burns would have been a better pick here.
    1. Pick 24 - Josh Jacobs - No complaints here, this one turned out okay.
    1. Pick 27 - Johnathan Abram - We could have used a WR here, DK Metcalf or AJ Brown would have been good picks at this point.
    2. Pick 40 - Trayvon Mullen - no complaint here either, although better players were available.
    Good thing we didn't have a 3rd round pick this year, we probably would've f'd that up as well. We did get Maxx in the 4th round, which was a major win.

    2018 Draft.
    1. Pick 15 - Kolton Miller - Although we all wanted Derwin James here, Kolton has been solid here.
    2. Pick 57 - PJ Hall - yup...
    3. Pick 65 - Brandon Parker - no comment here.
    3. Pick 87 - Arden Key - yup...
    Except for Kolton Miller and Brandon Parker, nobody else is around from this draft. When you miss on everybody in a draft, it sets your organization back a couple of years.

    2017 Draft.
    1. Pick 24 - Gareon Conley - TJ Watt got picked 6 picks later. Tre'Davious White picked 27th.
    2. Pick 56 - Obi Melifonwu -
    3. Pick 88 - Eddie Vanderdoes

    At this point it's comical. I should better stop.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    19,561
    You can do this with every team. Some of our misses have been so bad though, that they stick out like a sore thumb compared to othersÖLook at the Titans, they took that LT in the first round two years ago and never played a down for them and heís out of football now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14,388
    If you're aiming to be depressed, yep, look at our drafts for the past few years. But our free agent acquisitions haven't exactly been a sure thing, either. It's probably best not to look back. Our win-loss record over the years speaks for itself.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,376
    It's not necessarily the missed picks though, nor is it just the sheer volume of failed picks... I'm just seeing this correlation between what the fan base collectively wants during the draft (i.e. CeeDee Lamb, Devin White, etc..) as opposed to what the team actually decided to do, which was remarkedly much worse than what common sense would dictate. It's like the FO intentionally goes against common sense as though they know something the rest of us don't, and it continually keeps coming up on the wrong side of the coin. It's like, if they just pick the best player that we, as casual fans (nothing more) are able to see, this team would be in a much better place; since this is the case, what do you make of this FO?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7,813
    Some of the drafting issues may actually go back to coaching. While many of these players were reached- like Ferrell. He was still considered to be a first round prospect. He hasnít even met those expectations yet. And most of our underperforming draft picks were on defense. So it makes sense that we also havenít gotten them to perform to the best of their abilities.

    On offense, Jacobs, renfrow, Miller seem to be good picks. Ruggs and Edwards will be decided this year. So Iíll wait to decide. I actually loved the Edwards pick. Though I wanted justin Jefferson instead of ruggs, I can see how ruggs can play a big role.

    Funny though, how now that we have Gus here, Moehrig, koonce, Hobbs, Gillespie look like they might actually be good players. Did we suddenly draft better this year? Or is coaching helping?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14,388
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusLoci View Post
    It's not necessarily the missed picks though, nor is it just the sheer volume of failed picks... I'm just seeing this correlation between what the fan base collectively wants during the draft (i.e. CeeDee Lamb, Devin White, etc..) as opposed to what the team actually decided to do, which was remarkedly much worse than what common sense would dictate. It's like the FO intentionally goes against common sense as though they know something the rest of us don't, and it continually keeps coming up on the wrong side of the coin. It's like, if they just pick the best player that we, as casual fans (nothing more) are able to see, this team would be in a much better place; since this is the case, what do you make of this FO?
    It seems to me every year the Raiders have to make a couple of picks as if they're trying to prove that they're the smartest ones in the room. And every year it seems those picks fall flat.

    To be fair, that crap goes all the way back to the great Al Davis. But Al had the benefit of a mostly winning record to cover him.

    Mayock and Gruden don't have that. I can see gambling here and there, but not in the first three rounds. If they had made more reasonable picks in the early rounds, and then wind up finding a gem like Max in the later rounds, they'd look like geniuses right now. Instead, they're out here blowing up Twitter for all the wrong reasons.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    608
    It's not the misses really. And it's not even that we haven't gotten decent NFL-level players with a fair number of picks, because we have.

    What it really comes down to is the complete lack of game-changers. You're not going to get a star player every year, but you have to get once every few years, because you just can't afford to spend that kind of money on free agents all the time.

    Better to have a bunch of whiffs mixed in with some home run picks. You get a superstar in whatever round, and all your other picks are mediocre, you'll still come out okay, because you can always find middling rotational guys to make up for the missed picks.

    We really haven't drafted a star level player since 2014. That's not a recipe for success. IMO, you need to find a high-level guy every other year on average. You do that and about 6 years in you've got a half dozen or so studs, hopefully mixed in with some above average guys. That usually adds up to a pretty good team.

    You look at our glory days, we got guys like Shell, Upshaw, Stabler, Tatum, etc. in fairly short order. Who cares if there were a bunch of nobodies mixed into those drafts?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,419
    For a guy who was considered a draft expert, Mayock has been abysmal at drafting. Gruden would have been better off keeping RM. Its too bad his ego is bigger than his head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Carr may very well be the worst starting QB in Raiders history. Carr is like a root canal that takes 8 hrs. The Raiders have stuck with this bum going on 7 seasons! All they have to show for it is excuses. I hope Mariorta runs him out of training camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Sounds as though Mayock is waxing the Pinto and installing fake leather seat covers and chrome hubcaps before posting it on Craigslist.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,419
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    You can do this with every team. Some of our misses have been so bad though, that they stick out like a sore thumb compared to othersÖLook at the Titans, they took that LT in the first round two years ago and never played a down for them and heís out of football now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mayock is what 4 years in now? Not a single pro bowl player drafted. I don't think other teams are just as bad. I get everyone misses. Draft is a crap shoot most years. But even RM was able to draft pro bowl type players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Carr may very well be the worst starting QB in Raiders history. Carr is like a root canal that takes 8 hrs. The Raiders have stuck with this bum going on 7 seasons! All they have to show for it is excuses. I hope Mariorta runs him out of training camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Sounds as though Mayock is waxing the Pinto and installing fake leather seat covers and chrome hubcaps before posting it on Craigslist.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Mayock is what 4 years in now? Not a single pro bowl player drafted. I don't think other teams are just as bad. I get everyone misses. Draft is a crap shoot most years. But even RM was able to draft pro bowl type players.
    This is Mayock's 3rd year with the Raiders and Jacobs made the pro bowl last year. He didn't deserve it last year but he did deserve it his rookie season. I will take Mayock's drafting over RM while I would take RM's cap management over Mayock's. RM was horrible at drafting but good with cap management. RM had one really good draft in 2014 and every other draft sucked. I haven't loved Mayock's 1st round picks but most of his other picks have been pretty good. Mullen, Crosby, Renfrow, Edwards, Moehrig and Hobbs all look like solid picks.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,419
    Quote Originally Posted by MackAttack88 View Post
    This is Mayock's 3rd year with the Raiders and Jacobs made the pro bowl last year. He didn't deserve it last year but he did deserve it his rookie season. I will take Mayock's drafting over RM while I would take RM's cap management over Mayock's. RM was horrible at drafting but good with cap management. RM had one really good draft in 2014 and every other draft sucked. I haven't loved Mayock's 1st round picks but most of his other picks have been pretty good. Mullen, Crosby, Renfrow, Edwards, Moehrig and Hobbs all look like solid picks.
    Forgot about Jacobs making the pro bowl. Didn't think he deserved it either

    RM got us Carr, Mack, Cooper, and Gabe Jackson. All pro bowlers I believe. And a bunch of other solid starters. Didn't have to cut 3rd round picks with out playing a single game either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Carr may very well be the worst starting QB in Raiders history. Carr is like a root canal that takes 8 hrs. The Raiders have stuck with this bum going on 7 seasons! All they have to show for it is excuses. I hope Mariorta runs him out of training camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Sounds as though Mayock is waxing the Pinto and installing fake leather seat covers and chrome hubcaps before posting it on Craigslist.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,548

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    For a guy who was considered a draft expert, Mayock has been abysmal at drafting. Gruden would have been better off keeping RM. Its too bad his ego is bigger than his head.
    If you look at Chuckles drafts in TB, its the same garbage. This is on him not Mayock. Iím not saying heís the answer, but Iíd love to see Mark take drafting away from Chuckles and give it to Mayock. If itís the same 💩 then we will know itís a collaborative effort.



    This guy has to be the pick if heís available.

    Iím the president of the Christian Barmore fanclub.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    583
    The question I gave always asked you guys isÖ who did Gruden develop in Tampa? The most memorable were Cadillac Williams and Michael Clayton. Cadillac lasted 7 seasons in the league, with 1200 yards his rookie year and 2 800 yard seasons. Gruden ran that dude into the ground. Clayton lasted 8 years in the league but besides his rookie season (almost 1200 rec yards), he had 1 season with 484 yards and 6 seasons with less than 400 rec yards.

    Who did Gruden developed Iím his 1st stint with the Raiders? Jerry Porter? What about this time? Renfrow and Josh Jackson? I guess Iíll give you Waller

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Forgot about Jacobs making the pro bowl. Didn't think he deserved it either

    RM got us Carr, Mack, Cooper, and Gabe Jackson. All pro bowlers I believe. And a bunch of other solid starters. Didn't have to cut 3rd round picks with out playing a single game either.
    RM had 2014 and nothing else. Cooper was not that great of a pick. He never gave us his best game. He was lazy and a lot of the time disappeared in games. Same thing happens in Dallas.

    What solid starters? Jihad Ward? DJ Hayden? Gareon Conely? Shilique Calhoon? Obi? Mario Edwards? the list is long and pathetic. We ALWAYS had several UFDA's make the team due to his poor drafting.

    A lot of RM's FA signings were head scratchers too.

    I appreciate what RM did to get us out of the AL cap dungeon, but other than 2014 he was horrible.

    You're welcome to your opinion, but your wrong on this one.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7,813
    If you go back and look at RMs drafts, itís pretty amazing how we nailed the one draft class. The rest of the drafts were pretty bad. And that trade down for Hayden. Ugh. Seems like our trade values are always suspect. They need to hire someone just to get better trade values.

    What I donít get is why itís so hard to draft well. I mean, itís obviously not as easy as it seems when you look back. Hindsight being 20/20 and all. ButÖ there are so many times I look back and recall who most fans wanted, like Devin white/Josh allen. And for the most partÖ the obvious choice was the better choice.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •