Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 79 of 277 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 4143
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Point taken. You dont't want to hamstring a club with too many anchors. Ask the Red Sox. I have a feeling the luxury tax threshold will be raised considerably, it could be eliminated but imo highly doubtful.

This is the opportunity Hal pinched pennies in anticipation. He maneuvered to get under the cap to coincide with this FA class. It would be a terrible opportunity lost should they pass.
    That is my feeling. And while I am optimistic about DJ, he could **** the bed. While I hope Cole figures it out, he may end up being a very expensive #3. Stanton will be a bad contract in a couple years. Then there's judge. It gets tricky.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I didn't mean just SS. So if I wasn't clear, my bad. It's been a while for a group of SS, Jeter and Nomar?
    Harper and Machado a few years ago. "Oh my god!! The Yankees missed out!!!" Then they get Stanton.
    Wasn't Cole a FA in a year with a bunch of other pitchers?

I would also argue that there are really two standouts but that is solely my opinion. Story is not impressive to me. He's not close to the offense Seager and Correa are and he strikes out way too much. It is a deep class for sure. My point was, in a couple years, there will be another SS. There will be another CF. Another C...
    Free agents don't just go away. There are always great players to be had for the right price.

Everyone wants the hot names. I get it. You get Seager or Correa, you can move other guys for another position or arm. Absolutely.
    Or you can wait and maybe get all of it for much cheaper
    Agreed. They are not equal. Imo you make a concession for Correa. I don't put Seager in the same class maybe a notch below. Story imo isn't in the picture except as a stop gap? Maybe. I also liked Baez.

I'm no star chaser. I recognize a unique talent and opportunity. I guess we'll know soon enough.

That is my feeling. And while I am optimistic about DJ, he could **** the bed. While I hope Cole figures it out, he may end up being a very expensive #3. Stanton will be a bad contract in a couple years. Then there's judge. It gets tricky.
    Agreed. I am more concerned about Cole that DJ, Judge or Stanton believe it or not. Will he adapt to a sticky less world or will they ease the pressure and scrutiny. He looked like a very different pitcher without it.

Agreed. They are not equal. Imo you make a concession for Correa. I don't put Seager in the same class maybe a notch below. Story imo isn't in the picture except as a stop gap? Maybe. I also liked Baez.

I'm no star chaser. I recognize a unique talent and opportunity. I guess we'll know soon enough.
    Siemien is two years older than story and you still think story will sign a short term deal ? That doesnít make much sense

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Siemien is two years older than story and you still think story will sign a short term deal ? That doesnít make much sense
    Siemien was 1 yr older last yr and signed a 1yr deal to rebuild value. Worked well for him.

Story is coming off probably his worst yr as an MLB player, he was one of the SS that was looking for a 300m deal, after last season he;d have trouble getting half of that. If he signs a 1yr deal and is able to have a normal seasons for him, he;s still young enough that he could get that big, long term deal he is looking for. He lost well over 100m because of getting jerked around in Col last yr, him signing a short term deal makes a ton of sense

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Siemien was 1 yr older last yr and signed a 1yr deal to rebuild value. Worked well for him.

Story is coming off probably his worst yr as an MLB player, he was one of the SS that was looking for a 300m deal, after last season he;d have trouble getting half of that. If he signs a 1yr deal and is able to have a normal seasons for him, he;s still young enough that he could get that big, long term deal he is looking for. He lost well over 100m because of getting jerked around in Col last yr, him signing a short term deal makes a ton of sense
    You ever think the reason why Siemen took the one year deal was because he knew what the free agent market would be like this season? Story wonít get as much as he would now in a year or so .

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post

You see Jorge Day is more patient than I am. He explains things in detail. So there is no chance for misunderstanding or missing the point.

I simply assumed you understood what re establishing value entailed. Sorry my bad.

Thank you Day for the rescue.

Agreed. I am more concerned about Cole that DJ, Judge or Stanton believe it or not. Will he adapt to a sticky less world or will they ease the pressure and scrutiny. He looked like a very different pitcher without it.
    The MLB and the MLBPA are working to find a sticky substance that will provide the pitchers more grip. The other thing they have talked about is using a pre tacky ball like they use in Japan, to allow the pitchers a better grip, either way its expected to be part of the new CBA

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    The guy who thinks story won't do a short deal is the same guy who thinks right handed hitters pull the ball to right field.

To ssay he won't is just asinine. Why must we live in absolutes.

He also assumes Story would get less next off season, when the short stop market nearly isn't as deep and he has the chance to rebuild his value.

Pure comedy.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

You see Jorge Day is more patient than I am. He explains things in detail. So there is no chance for misunderstanding or missing the point.

I simply assumed you understood what re establishing value entailed. Sorry my bad.

Thank you Day for the rescue.
    I understand re establishing value . What I donít get why anyone would take a 1 year deal with the kind of ss market there is in this yearís free agent market . If anything a player would want to take advantage of it . Especially after siemen who is older , just hired boras .

Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    Quick question for everyone passing on the Free Agents in the hopes that Perraza or Volpe are the next Yankee SS.

What happens when they turn out like Montero, Refsnyder, Bird, or Wade?

Because that is significantly more likely than even a Sanchez level success.

What do you do then? How long do you push the teams window for competition down the road?

Are people actually good with betting the next decade on untested prospects?
    Have you ever thought of why the Sux have been more successful than the Yankees recently? Because they don't hand out long term contracts that last till the player is close to 40. A lot of their long term contracts they were able to find some sucker (damn you Dodgers) to take off their hands. I remember the day the Sux signed David Price to that enormous contract, I had a smile on face knowing they just hamstrung themselves for years!

And they aren't afraid to suck and sink to the bottom for a year to redevelop their team. You can only do that with player (not stuck with you for 10 years and practically immovable due to contract or no trade clause) and payroll flexibility.

Hal has shown there is a LIMIT to what the Yankees will spend. I fully expect him to raise the payroll this year and the coming years but expecting to fill every position with 20-30 mil players is unsustainable even for the Yankees. That's why you need at least a few young good players on cheap salaries to balance the budget.

Can you remember anything memorable from the 2011-2016 Yankees? I sure can't and those were the latter years after splurging big on CC and Tex and having ARod's enormous contract.

Point is handing out big contracts will give you chance to win a WS for 2-3 years but will hamstring you for majority of the contracts lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    The guy who thinks story won't do a short deal is the same guy who thinks right handed hitters pull the ball to right field.

To ssay he won't is just asinine. Why must we live in absolutes.

He also assumes Story would get less next off season, when the short stop market nearly isn't as deep and he has the chance to rebuild his value.

Pure comedy.

And you donít get that storyís best chance to capitalize on his value is now while he is still under 30 in his prime .

I agree.

I just want them to comm it one way or another. If you are going to big names, go for them. Sell everything and commit to the next 4-6 years and win multiple WS.

If they are not goin to do that, stick with the farm and make some moves that will facilitate that and the current team.
    If they truly believe in Peraza and Volpe, I would be totally fine if they went with a short term, placeholder IF of DJ 3rd, GIo SS, Torres 2nd. If they did that, then sign Rizzo or make a really good package for Olson. I would be fine if they put Torres in a package for him, over DJ to 2nd, GIo to 3rd and rolled with Wad/Velasquez at SS.
    I do think Hicks is going to be an injury bust, so they need to address CF.
    But even if we roll out a lineup of

DJ
    Judge
    Olson
    Stanton
    Hicks
    Gio
    Gallo
    Sanchez
    Wade

I would be fine, provided that at the point when Peraza was ready, they moved Gio.

There are a ton of ways to get where they want to go. I just don't want a middle ground bunch of BS they've been doing. Commit one way or the other. Commit to being the Evil Empire and spend 350 mil or commit to the youth movement and fill in the spaces.
    Pretty much this

If we go throw 30M at a SS for the next 7 years, how much is left for other stuff?

Going to have that guy. Stanton and Cole making a ton. Judge getting paid. I just donít see any of these guys being that big an impact, that I want to blow the payroll on them.

Unless they saying **** it, we going all in. Then just go buy everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    And you donít get that storyís best chance to capitalize on his value is now while he is still under 30 in his prime .
    Except thereís several big ticket SS available now, and only so much money to go around. If he took a big dollar 2 year deal, and kills it, heís still getting paid very nicely again

You think thereís a ton of teams out there willing to throw those mega deals on the table? When many times, they donít go well
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 10-28-2021 at 06:20 PM.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Except thereís several big ticket SS available now, and only so much money to go around. If he took a big dollar 2 year deal, and kills it, heís still getting paid very nicely again

You think thereís a ton of teams out there willing to throw those mega deals on the table? When many times, they donít go well
    Logic prevails!

He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.