Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 222 of 277 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 4143
  1. #3316
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Clown, you may be right re: Wells. IDK for certain. As of this moment they still have him listed as a C. I do recall Day mentioning he may eventually be a 1B.
    I remember watching Wells in the AFL all star game he is one big man, there is no way I could see his future behind the plate. Also I'm sure Day has said they see his future at 1B

  2. #3317
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,509
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    I remember watching Wells in the AFL all star game he is one big man, there is no way I could see his future behind the plate. Also I'm sure Day has said they see his future at 1B
    In a couple of the latest farm rankings they have Wells listed as a RFer. The only people who think Wells has a future behind the plate are a few Yanks development guys. I don't know what position he'll play in the future but it won't be as a C. If you get frustrated with Gary behind the plate Wells could drive you to drink or far, far worse, LOL

  3. #3318
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Agree. "IF" . You then have a hole at 3B. Imo, question remains, is 1B an immediate area of need? I think the answer is no, with potentially Rizzo and Voit good options. Is SS an immediate area of need, I think the answer is yes. Isn't Peraza the closest to ML ready?

    Montas may be a bigger area of need than Olson, imo.

    ps. Isn't Wells the highest ranked C prospect? With all the rumors swirling around Sanchez is that someone they should be moving?
    I actually think first base has been an area of need since 2016.

    DJ (3rd)
    Judge (rf)
    Olson (1b)
    Stanton (dh)
    Gallo (lf)
    Gley (2nd)
    Hicks (cf)
    Gio (SS)
    Sanchez (c)

    Is a better lineup than

    DJ
    Story
    Judge
    Gallo
    Stanton
    Rizzo
    Gley
    Hicks
    Sanchez

  4. #3319
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,509
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I might do it, if our player development people are really sky high on Volpe and if the organization truly feels that Gio can be a stop gap at SS.
    Most people i talk to think Volpe is probably going to end up at 2nd or 3rd. I think he can play SS but he won't be elite defensively like Peraza is. They expect him to fill out a little and lose some mobility. Their are also questions if his arm is strong enough to make throws deep in the hole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I would say no. That is only because I want to see Peraza play for the Yankees. If you sub Sweeney and Vargas, I would say yes.
    Thats the rub for me also. If they trade Peraza, i'm not sure what their long term plans at SS are. If they would sub either of the guys you mentioned or Cabrera I make that deal. Olsen is an upgrade but Montas is really the prize IMO. I think he's the best pitcher available for the cost, Castillo would be the dream but that asking price is higher than i would do. How much do you wish they could rewind the clock and make that Torres for Castillo deal that was on the table last yr

  5. #3320
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,509
    Quote Originally Posted by RJYANKS12 View Post
    I actually think first base has been an area of need since 2016.

    DJ (3rd)
    Judge (rf)
    Olson (1b)
    Stanton (dh)
    Gallo (lf)
    Gley (2nd)
    Hicks (cf)
    Gio (SS)
    Sanchez (c)

    Is a better lineup than

    DJ
    Story
    Judge
    Gallo
    Stanton
    Rizzo
    Gley
    Hicks
    Sanchez
    I think they HAVE to get 1 of Freeman, Olsen or Rizzo

  6. #3321
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    45,956
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I really don't know, Buster Olney is saying he thinks both sides are willing to miss games and we might not see the season start till June. He thinks we could see a season of 100 games or less.

    I'm hopeful but not optomistic that the season starts on time. Both sides are backing themselves into a corner. There are about 300 unsigned FA, the longer the union takes to counter the harder it's going to be for those players to get paid. Teams are going to want a very fast negotiation and if the player doesn;t accept, teams will quickly move on. The non star FA's are going to get squeezed even harder than normal yrs if the union doesn't get back to the table.

    If they start missing games and revenue I think you'll see owner go with specs vs mid level FA.

    Unfortunately owners can afford, at least more than the players to loose some revenue. IMO they owners are probably going to get closer to what they want. As usual in pro sports, when players start missing checks is when they are going to start caving IMO. I don't know for sure but i think players start getting payed in ST, when the big names start losing millions after a week or 2 they pressure the players union to make a deal so they start getting paid again.

    They are taking a horrible chance of pushing even more fans away. Both sides need to figure something out that allows them to start on time but i don't know how likely that is
    I think we're going to see a prolonged lockout. Among all these other issues, I don't see NL owners jumping at the idea of the DH either. Not to mention, the fluidity of rosters with COVID still being a thing. Are they going to expand rosters? Have a taxi squad? Are players who are called up because of rosters being short (due to COVID) going to lose options? There are so many details to work out and that doesn't include the more major issues like service time, mid level FA salaries, increased pay for pre-arbitration players, changes to revenue sharing, expanded playoffs, etc.

    The owners have the leverage but I think the players are willing to let this eat into the season even when it will cost them money as well. If a deal is done before the season was to officially start, great, but I'm not betting on it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-22-2022 at 11:38 AM.

  7. #3322
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,437
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I think they HAVE to get 1 of Freeman, Olsen or Rizzo
    It will come down to $$$. Rizzo is getting older and cost could be an issue, I doubt he's looking for a raise from his $16M. Olson is due $12M and would cost Yankees Peraza, Gil, Vasquez according to pundits. Last report Freeman was looking for 6/$200M having turned down Atlanta's 5/ $135M, also not getting any younger.

  8. #3323
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,437
    Olson :.252 .348 .511 .859 27 yrs old

    Rizzo: 268 .369 .481 .850 31 yrs old

    Freeman: 295 .384 .509 .893 31 yrs old

  9. #3324
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    42,798
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Olson :.252 .348 .511 .859 27 yrs old

    Rizzo: 268 .369 .481 .850 31 yrs old

    Freeman: 295 .384 .509 .893 31 yrs old
    Rizzo



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #3325
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,437
    ^^^ I tend to agree. Even more so if he comes with a team discount. (might be wishful thinking, but....you never know. He may love it in NY)

  11. #3326
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,509
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    ^^^ I tend to agree. Even more so if he comes with a team discount. (might be wishful thinking, but....you never know. He may love it in NY)
    I think Rizzo is the most likely solution but if they could get Olsen without giving up Volpe, Peraza or Dom, that would be hard to turn down. Then again i would hate to have given up Alcantara for only 2 months of Rizzo

  12. #3327
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,437
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I think Rizzo is the most likely solution but if they could get Olsen without giving up Volpe, Peraza or Dom, that would be hard to turn down. Then again i would hate to have given up Alcantara for only 2 months of Rizzo


    That stings! However at the time it seemed like the right move. I wish Alcantara all the best. In fact part of me hopes he makes the Yankees regret the decision. The larger part of me is hoping they sign Rizzo for a reasonable number and he has a career year. Time will tell.

  13. #3328
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    42,798
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    ^^^ I tend to agree. Even more so if he comes with a team discount. (might be wishful thinking, but....you never know. He may love it in NY)
    Reports were he loved it here. I believe his former teammates commented that he's meant for NY



    Ignorance is bliss

  14. #3329
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Reports were he loved it here. I believe his former teammates commented that he's meant for NY
    I've been saying since the season ended that i thought he was the most likely choice to end up at 1st next yr. I'd much rather sign Rizzo than giving up Peraza and Gil for Olsen.

    I really, really like the idea of getting Montas though. Would you be willing to trade Gil and a throw in or 2 for him? i think i would make that deal. We have so many other extremely talented pitching specs coming and Montas solves a big issue for 2yrs until a guys like Medina, Wesneski and Waldichuk could be able to take over that 2-3 role that Montas would fill
    Cole
    Sevy
    Montas
    Monty
    Taillon
    Nestor
    German
    Those guy would make a hell of a rotation and give us enough depth to cover injuries

  15. #3330
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,509
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I think we're going to see a prolonged lockout. Among all these other issues, I don't see NL owners jumping at the idea of the DH either. Not to mention, the fluidity of rosters with COVID still being a thing. Are they going to expand rosters? Have a taxi squad? Are players who are called up because of rosters being short (due to COVID) going to lose options? There are so many details to work out and that doesn't include the more major issues like service time, mid level FA salaries, increased pay for pre-arbitration players, changes to revenue sharing, expanded playoffs, etc.

    The owners have the leverage but I think the players are willing to let this eat into the season even when it will cost them money as well. If a deal is done before the season was to officially start, great, but I'm not betting on it.
    Players are always " willing" to miss games until they start missing checks. I'm not sure how long veterans are going to be willing to miss that many checks to get younger players paid when most of the guys have already been through that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •