Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 218 of 277 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 4143
  1. #3256
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    42,862
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    More contact, cut down on the K's, trying to get away from the big HR swing is what i've read.
    Awesome



    Ignorance is bliss

  2. #3257
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,553
    Little more news on the Dom swing changes. Lawson and Balkovec have convinced him he doesn't have to swing all out to make hard contact and produce high exit velo's. He's put on 30 plus lbs of muscle since signing but is still trying to hit everything the same way he was when he first signed. They are trying to get him to realize that with his natural strength, if he makes good, square contact he'll still hit hrs and have big exit velo's.

    They are trying to get him to do a smaller, quicker load, get the front foot down earlier and take a more direct path to the ball, especially from the LH side. They aren't trying to rebuild the whole swing, just argument it to adjust to his added strength. They want the hands in a consistent position to start the swing on both sides and let his natural strength and abilities take over instead of continuing to use such a big, early load.

    I was told this is the same thing they did with Volpe and other before last yr. They actually wanted him to struggle a bit before they introduced changes, so that he would buy in all the way. They are also asking him to focus on flexibility and speed training with his body instead of continuing to get thicker. I guess his dad was a former football player and he was the one that has taught Dom how to lift. Now that he's stateside and he has 1yr under his belt, they feel that they can now make some changes that he will fully buy into. He saw that talent alone isn't enough to be better than everyone at higher levels.

    Certainly sounds like they are doing the right things to give him a chance to be as successful as he can be. He also has a very, very close relationship with Balkovec. She has actually been helping him with his English this off season because he wants to be more of a leader on his team and be able to communicate with everyone. His work ethic is off the charts so we should see some results this season.

  3. #3258
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,553
    From the sounds of it with Aeias on board the Yanks are willing to move any of their SS specs but Volpe. They think Arais is goong to develop very quickly. Like he could be in the MLB by his 20th B Day
    I wasnt told is that means guys like Vargas and Sweeney or Vabrera or Peraza.

    One group inside the Yanks thinks Peraza is advanced enough that with a good ST he could win the job. The other group thinks he needs a couple more months that they cant wait for and need to get an answer a SS

    Sounds like they are interested in Chapman but for 3rd base with Gio being the stop gap till Peraza is ready if hes not traded.

    There is another group that does want Correa or Story, preferably Correa. The idea is to get as much elite talent into the org and if everyone develops as expected or they hope then figure it out.

    What makes absolutely no sense to me is why they would spend 10m plus the last 2yrs signing/ drafting SS. The Monteros from last yr, Sweeney and Arias if they are seriously considering giving Correa 10yrs. I really,really dislike the idea of giving Correa 330m, which is supposedly his floor

  4. #3259
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    42,862
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    From the sounds of it with Aeias on board the Yanks are willing to move any of their SS specs but Volpe. They think Arais is goong to develop very quickly. Like he could be in the MLB by his 20th B Day
    I wasnt told is that means guys like Vargas and Sweeney or Vabrera or Peraza.

    One group inside the Yanks thinks Peraza is advanced enough that with a good ST he could win the job. The other group thinks he needs a couple more months that they cant wait for and need to get an answer a SS

    Sounds like they are interested in Chapman but for 3rd base with Gio being the stop gap till Peraza is ready if hes not traded.

    There is another group that does want Correa or Story, preferably Correa. The idea is to get as much elite talent into the org and if everyone develops as expected or they hope then figure it out.

    What makes absolutely no sense to me is why they would spend 10m plus the last 2yrs signing/ drafting SS. The Monteros from last yr, Sweeney and Arias if they are seriously considering giving Correa 10yrs. I really,really dislike the idea of giving Correa 330m, which is supposedly his floor
    I think the ones in the FO who want Correa are idiots. Typical BS pricks who think that simply putting stars together means wins. It doesn't. They are the ones who flat out want to buy their way to a title. That is also BS. They are the ones who are impatient.

    I totally agree Day. Why do you go all in for a spec like him and protect other guys if you are going to buy your way?
    If they want Story for a 1 year deal? Ok but I think if Peraza is that close, you will wreck the chance for him and potentially lose a ton of value.
    If story is here a year and Volpe shreds AA and hits AAA by the midway point and does well there, you then have him as your projected SS and Peraza not only loses his shot but also loses value.

    DJ, Judge, Stanton, Gallo, Hicks are all thought to be great hitters according to the anals. Torres and Gio are good hitters. Catcher is a wild card but if Sanchez get right, he's back to at leas a solid hitter.
    But let's say he is still below average, I think the team can survive quite well with Peraza in that lineup.

    I love the Dominguez stuff. Thanks for filling us in on that. I love they are working for quicker, quieter hands and moments to get to the ball and trust his natural strength will be more than enough. I hope they instill in him they would like him to be a 30-30 guy with a decent avg and OBP and not a 40+ all or nothing guy.



    Ignorance is bliss

  5. #3260
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Earth is my turf
    Posts
    5,437
    Day thanks for posting and Kink I agree with you on this one.

    I see it as some of the FO is not interested in playing the unknown commodity and to pay the known established player. MiLB guys are a crap shoot we all get it, but that is when you need to trust the employees in place that's position is there to provide data and statistics to make a calculated decision. Basically they are there to advise you (Cashman) on what capability you have and then to move forward with a decision. There are hundreds of intangibles to also consider but lets not go down that rabbit hole. Point is at some point you have to play the young guys.
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

  6. #3261
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I think the ones in the FO who want Correa are idiots. Typical BS pricks who think that simply putting stars together means wins. It doesn't. They are the ones who flat out want to buy their way to a title. That is also BS. They are the ones who are impatient.

    I totally agree Day. Why do you go all in for a spec like him and protect other guys if you are going to buy your way?
    If they want Story for a 1 year deal? Ok but I think if Peraza is that close, you will wreck the chance for him and potentially lose a ton of value.
    If story is here a year and Volpe shreds AA and hits AAA by the midway point and does well there, you then have him as your projected SS and Peraza not only loses his shot but also loses value.

    DJ, Judge, Stanton, Gallo, Hicks are all thought to be great hitters according to the anals. Torres and Gio are good hitters. Catcher is a wild card but if Sanchez get right, he's back to at leas a solid hitter.
    But let's say he is still below average, I think the team can survive quite well with Peraza in that lineup.

    I love the Dominguez stuff. Thanks for filling us in on that. I love they are working for quicker, quieter hands and moments to get to the ball and trust his natural strength will be more than enough. I hope they instill in him they would like him to be a 30-30 guy with a decent avg and OBP and not a 40+ all or nothing guy.
    Its funny about the Dom stuff, i was reminded how little i really know about spec development. When i asked my guy why now, why didn't they start him on this path earlier? He said the kid has been told he's supposed to be the next Trout or who ever, the only way to make changes with a player like that is to let them fail/struggle early so they buy in completely to what needs to change as they move up. Made complete sense why they didn't do much with him last yr. I think we see a big improvement for him next yr if he can make the changes stick.

  7. #3262
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,457
    Professional BB is all about winning, is it not? No one remembers the also rans. I respect all opinions, but also feel a need to interject perspective. With all due respect Clown it ain't BS, it's a reality the org must contend with on a regular basis. Stars are stars for a very good reason, they produce under the bright lights and critical pressure situations, particularly in the post season. They tend to shine in the big moments. They have a resume' as testament. They demand big money because they earned it. It ain't the anals that say so it's the eye test. We don't need stats to tell us Mo, Jete, Reggie, Kurt Gibson or Edgar M were clutch.

    Correa or Story guarantee nothing, Perraza, Volpe or whomever guarantee even less. They are green and unproven at the ML level. Patience you say? 2009 was a very long time ago. The natives are restless. The decisions facing the FO are unenviable. NY demands a winner. Idiots? Hardly.

    Just my 2 cents.

  8. #3263
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,457
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Its funny about the Dom stuff, i was reminded how little i really know about spec development. When i asked my guy why now, why didn't they start him on this path earlier? He said the kid has been told he's supposed to be the next Trout or who ever, the only way to make changes with a player like that is to let them fail/struggle early so they buy in completely to what needs to change as they move up. Made complete sense why they didn't do much with him last yr. I think we see a big improvement for him next yr if he can make the changes stick.
    The only risk is completely demoralizing him. He's hit this way his entire career up to this juncture. If he buys in to the changes great, if he resists and it gets in his head it could be trouble ahead and rough waters. He's had success. He got here doing what he learned as a kid. The undoing can be tricky.

    ps. Square solid contact is always advisable.
    Last edited by drt1010; 01-18-2022 at 05:43 PM.

  9. #3264
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,553
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Professional BB is all about winning, is it not? No one remembers the also rans. I respect all opinions, but also feel a need to interject perspective. With all due respect Clown it ain't BS, it's a reality the org must contend with on a regular basis. Stars are stars for a very good reason, they produce under the bright lights and critical pressure situations, particularly in the post season. They tend to shine in the big moments. They have a resume' as testament. They demand big money because they earned it. It ain't the anals that say so it's the eye test. We don't need stats to tell us Mo, Jete, Reggie, Kurt Gibson or Edgar M were clutch.

    Correa or Story guarantee nothing, Perraza, Volpe or whomever guarantee even less. They are green and unproven at the ML level. Patience you say? 2009 was a very long time ago. The natives are restless. The decisions facing the FO are unenviable. NY demands a winner. Idiots? Hardly.

    Just my 2 cents.
    I would have no problem with them signing or acquiring true superstars but I'm sorry i don't see Correa being worth the yrs or money he's asking for. His best skill is his defense, he's actually pretty avg offensively. How is investing 10yr330m plus on him a wise investment ? If this conversation was about Seager i think there would be an argument there but not Correa. If the asking price was 130m less, sure i could see that argument.

    I just don't see giving Correa 1 of the 10 biggest contract in the sport being a great idea, especially when extending Judge needs to be a top priority

  10. #3265
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,457
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I would have no problem with them signing or acquiring true superstars but I'm sorry i don't see Correa being worth the yrs or money he's asking for. His best skill is his defense, he's actually pretty avg offensively. How is investing 10yr330m plus on him a wise investment ? If this conversation was about Seager i think there would be an argument there but not Correa. If the asking price was 130m less, sure i could see that argument.

    I just don't see giving Correa 1 of the 10 biggest contract in the sport being a great idea, especially when extending Judge needs to be a top priority
    This isn't about Correa. It's about any "name" brand SS. I prefer Story on a short term deal. It ain't happening. My point was simply, the FO aren't idiots nor is anyone who may prefer a name brand at SS including Correa. The bottom line is winning. If a FA SS gives them the best chance at accomplishing that I wouldn't label it idiotic. The rooks guarantee nothing except a lower payroll.

  11. #3266
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    42,862
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Professional BB is all about winning, is it not? No one remembers the also rans. I respect all opinions, but also feel a need to interject perspective. With all due respect Clown it ain't BS, it's a reality the org must contend with on a regular basis. Stars are stars for a very good reason, they produce under the bright lights and critical pressure situations, particularly in the post season. They tend to shine in the big moments. They have a resume' as testament. They demand big money because they earned it. It ain't the anals that say so it's the eye test. We don't need stats to tell us Mo, Jete, Reggie, Kurt Gibson or Edgar M were clutch.

    Correa or Story guarantee nothing, Perraza, Volpe or whomever guarantee even less. They are green and unproven at the ML level. Patience you say? 2009 was a very long time ago. The natives are restless. The decisions facing the FO are unenviable. NY demands a winner. Idiots? Hardly.

    Just my 2 cents.
    If they didn't have Judge, Stanton, Gallo, DJ, Hicks, I would understand. They are not short of star power.
    I personally and wholeheartedly believe that Correa would be a knee jerk, short sighted response.

    Why I say idiots is that they don't trust the other people's voices and are attempting to dismiss them, out of fear.
    I fully agree that Correa and story guarantee nothing and neither does the youth.
    If those two don't guarantee anything, I think it is far wiser both cost and chemistry to build from within.
    If they didn't have a guy who people say is already GG caliber D? Different story (NPI)
    But not only do they have 3 SS in their top 5 spec positions, they just signed the highest ranking spec at SS.
    If you have all of these players ranked and regarded, so highly , why on earth would you spend 350 mil+ for a guy for the next 10 years? Doc,l no offense to you whatsoever, this is purely about the FO, but I think that is the definition of idiotic. It would show, not only a lack of faith in the developmental process and coaches but also lack of judgment and communication.
    This isn't just about a dislike for Correa. It's about health and fit. I get pushing for a star. Cole is a great example



    Ignorance is bliss

  12. #3267
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    If they didn't have Judge, Stanton, Gallo, DJ, Hicks, I would understand. They are not short of star power.
    I personally and wholeheartedly believe that Correa would be a knee jerk, short sighted response.

    Why I say idiots is that they don't trust the other people's voices and are attempting to dismiss them, out of fear.
    I fully agree that Correa and story guarantee nothing and neither does the youth.
    If those two don't guarantee anything, I think it is far wiser both cost and chemistry to build from within.
    If they didn't have a guy who people say is already GG caliber D? Different story (NPI)
    But not only do they have 3 SS in their top 5 spec positions, they just signed the highest ranking spec at SS.
    If you have all of these players ranked and regarded, so highly , why on earth would you spend 350 mil+ for a guy for the next 10 years? Doc,l no offense to you whatsoever, this is purely about the FO, but I think that is the definition of idiotic. It would show, not only a lack of faith in the developmental process and coaches but also lack of judgment and communication.
    This isn't just about a dislike for Correa. It's about health and fit. I get pushing for a star. Cole is a great example
    To the bolded, I agree. However is it also possible we may be over valuing the spects? Maybe getting too far ahead of ourselves? Maybe wishing, hoping and fantasying about the next core 4? How many players do the Yankees have in the top 100 prospects? 3 ? I realize they just landed the top dog in the international draft which is certainly worthy of celebration and excitement.

    The reality:

    According to MLB.com our farm ranked 19th last season, up from 22 in 2020. It's relative.

    I don't intend to rain on anyone's parade, piss in their cornflakes or disparage the Yankees in any way. I simply take a more sobering view of the farm based on history. I want nothing more than success for any and all players in pinstripes. That said, I also like winning. I endorse moves that enhance Yankees chances.

  13. #3268
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    14,553
    Doc i get that but were also talking about being competitive every yr. Torres is our youngest position player by 2-3 yrs. If they sign Correa for 10 yrs and extend Judge this team will get old quickly in a couple yrs.

    Were older, slow, not very athletic and getting more expensive every yr. At some point something has to give. Our best position on the farm is clearly SS, if u can get a veteran 1st baseman and a better option in CF why not go with Peraza at SS if he can win that job IN ST. At worst you'll get a player that offers similar value defensively at SS to Correa, and will be dynamic speed wise for about 1/ 30th the cost.

    We dont have a 1st baseman or C ready or close in the system so they should go out an acquire guys for those spots but SS is a different story IMO.

    I see them running the same kind 9f lineup out there for the last few yrs and it hasn't gotten them close to winning a big chip. If there was a SS that was a better fit than whats currently out there but i just dont see that guy out there.

    Adding Correa or Story doesn't guarantee anything but far less flexibility financially going forward. Id much rather see them keep that flexibility for when there is a true star available rather than making a huge commitment for a player thats the best player left. If this were Harper or Machado i would be all in but I just dont see anyone available thats worth 10yrs or 300m plus.

    Speaking of Machado i heard that SD maybe willing to move him for salary relief. Tatis may need to move to 3rd or the OF and with Abrams looking like a star SS, they maybe looking to move Manny. Would anyone be willing to take on Manny as a stop gap.SS, then move to 3rd when they feel they are ready?

  14. #3269
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,457
    Day the Harper / Machado ship sailed long ago. I hear what you are saying and agree in part. I am not advocating a move for Correa. I am simply not convinced our farm hands are the panacea they are purported to be. I am more than willing to take a wait and see. In the mean time, there are holes and or questions at SS, 1B, rotation behind Cole and the BP needs attention at the back end. 3B may become an area of need as well. Is Sanchez on the block? How about a lefty bat or two? These holes need to be addressed sooner rather than later. Imo the Yankees can't afford to nurture a rook on the field. No on the job training in the Bronx.

  15. #3270
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    46,084
    Don't know if this was posted but Correa just hired Scott Boras as his new agent so expect him to advocate for a Corey Seager type deal to get Carlos signed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •