Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 169 of 277 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 4143
    I didn't realize the Yankees were that profitable in 2019. I knew they made money but holy ****. Obviously 2020 was a wash but i'm sure they made significant money last year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    BREAKING: The @Braves
    have signed Freddie Freeman to a 6-year contract worth $190M plus incentives pending a physical, per @JeffPassan
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I think you're quoting one of the many fake Jeff Passan accounts. The one that's verified his is reporting no such news on Freeman.
    This is why you should link the tweet, not copy and paste the words from the tweet.

My best case scenario right now is trade for Olson (I don't think it takes a huge package to get him) and trade for a K.Marte/B.Reynolds. Preferably Reynolds. Both moves would add really good players for multiple years and not just be aimed for 2022. They wouldn't even add a ton of salary at that point. Maybe a 5 year deal for Story then. If they are worried about giving up too much in prospects then scrap the Olson trade and resign Rizzo short-term. Lastly, get rid of Sanchez and get a defensive catcher.

I realize that I'm in the minority on this board, but I don't think the Yankees are cheap. I think the Yankees don't think the value of the players match the value of the contracts or the players don't match the team's analytics or needs. Specifically:

1) The Yankees wanted Seager, but he wasn't signed because he wasn't worth $325 million.

2) Scherzer's salary is also ridiculous at $43.3 million per year for 3 years for a 38 year old, when the previous AAV record for a pitcher was $36 million

3) Ray's salary was reasonable, but he would get bombed in Yankees Stadium, so he's not a good fit, even though he's LH. He might be a better fit on the West Coast with their more spacious stadiums, but at Yankees Stadium, he'd probably be Sonny Gray 2.0. In fact, a return for Sonny Gray for $10 million, while our pitchers develop, would be a better acquisition, then committing to 5 years and $105 million more for Ray.

4) Gausman is a low velocity pitcher who had a weak second half of the season, which makes his signing risky and cost $110 million. I would be, at best, indifferent to his signing and hope for the best, but 5 years, ouch.

5) Starling Marte is a RH OF and we have enough of them.

The point is that if you can't get the players you want or that can fit your needs, you're better off not overpaying. It's a different sport, but other than this past offseason, you never see the Patriots signing players the first two weeks of free agency and then after other teams have overspent, they've signed great players at reasonable prices and they've been overwhelmingly successful later on. In fact, Belicheck has been known to go on vacation during the first week of free agency.

Yes, I'm impatient, but I'm not jumping off any bridges, yet.

Concerning Hal, I think the lowering of the luxury tax threshold is more about raising the floor and eliminating the draft pick compensation. I don't think that it's a conspiracy theory that gets Hal to spend less and pocket more money.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I realize that I'm in the minority on this board, but I don't think the Yankees are cheap. I think the Yankees don't think the value of the players match the value of the contracts or the players don't match the team's analytics or needs. Specifically:

1) The Yankees wanted Seager, but he wasn't signed because he wasn't worth $325 million.

2) Scherzer's salary is also ridiculous at $43.3 million per year for 3 years for a 38 year old, when the previous AAV record for a pitcher was $36 million

3) Ray's salary was reasonable, but he would get bombed in Yankees Stadium, so he's not a good fit, even though he's LH. He might be a better fit on the West Coast with their more spacious stadiums, but at Yankees Stadium, he'd probably be Sonny Gray 2.0. In fact, a return for Sonny Gray for $10 million, while our pitchers develop, would be a better acquisition, then committing to 5 years and $105 million more for Ray.

4) Gausman is a low velocity pitcher who had a weak second half of the season, which makes his signing risky and cost $110 million. I would be, at best, indifferent to his signing and hope for the best, but 5 years, ouch.

The point is that if you can't get the players you want or that can fit your needs, you're better off not overpaying. It's a different sport, but other than this past offseason, you never see the Patriots signing players the first two weeks of free agency and then after other teams have overspent, they've signed great players at reasonable prices and they've been overwhelmingly successful later on. In fact, Belicheck has been known to go on vacation during the first week of free agency.

comparing football to baseball is apples to oranges football has a cap baseball does not..

Johnnyi i agree 100 percent. Not getting Stallings was the biggest mistake they have made. The one hope i have is with the As shopping everyone id be very, very interested in their C

I would say that we could make one massive trade with the As and massively improve this team. .

Would anyone really be dissatisfied if we got Olsen, Murphy, 1 of their starters and took back Andrus contract as a stop gap? Olsen is as good of fit as u could hope for, Murphy elite defensive C and any of their 3 pitchers would be an upgrade. Andris isn't very good but he wouldn't be the worst stop gap for Peraza or Volpe
    Last edited by dayners81; 11-30-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    My best case scenario right now is trade for Olson (I don't think it takes a huge package to get him) and trade for a K.Marte/B.Reynolds. Preferably Reynolds. Both moves would add really good players for multiple years and not just be aimed for 2022. They wouldn't even add a ton of salary at that point. Maybe a 5 year deal for Story then. If they are worried about giving up too much in prospects then scrap the Olson trade and resign Rizzo short-term. Lastly, get rid of Sanchez and get a defensive catcher.
    why would the a's trade olsen unless they got a kings ransom they know they have the yankees in a desperate situation now..and why would pittsburg trade a very good player who is only making 4 million next year.. and if they cant get olsen you would spend 16 million for 3 years for a washed up rizzo eww...if the yankees cant get olsen they will move dj to third urshella to ss and have voit at 1b that way no extra money to spend and pocket more profits for hal pocket..

as a fan i wanted a ss it would have been correa or semien if not then go with the young future ss not to sign story for 5 years.. that would be the last person i would want...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    why would the a's trade olsen unless they got a kings ransom they know they have the yankees in a desperate situation now..and why would pittsburg trade a very good player who is only making 4 million next year.. and if they cant get olsen you would spend 16 million for 3 years for a washed up rizzo eww...if the yankees cant get olsen they will move dj to third urshella to ss and have voit at 1b that way no extra money to spend and pocket more profits for hal pocket..
    the A's are trying to cut payroll to 40m total, they are trying to save money to get a new stadium in Vegas. To achieve that anyone making more than 4-5m will have to go. They are desperate to unload that payroll, just like they do every few yrs

Day, I’m sorry, I know you try to stay positive despite hitting every roadblock so far this offseason but hanging hope on trades and saying Correa and Story are still out there doesn’t make most Yankees fans happy.

The very first negative thing about any of the free agents that were signed so far all has to do with money. The Yankees don’t need to be concerned with money. They can afford to make many mistakes and still be ok and still cover it up…But they have an owner who is always concerned with money…And he will always say the teams payroll is near the top of the league….yea, yea, yea….sometimes you have to take risks and getting fooled by Hal with keeping the team below the luxury tax line last season and not doing anything makes it look more bad for Hal as a Yankee owner.

People will say George did that George did this or George owned in a different time. Save that garbage too. They are making more profit than ever before. George put the profits back into the team. Hal will do that once in a blue moon.

Hal is just too conservative. Nothing since 2009 and yet he sits back and is probably still worried about the money he spent in 2009 with CC, Teix and and Burnett.
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 11-30-2021 at 06:12 AM.
    My favorite Top 10 Rolling Stones songs
    1. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker)
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    5. Sympathy for the Devil
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place
    9. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction
    10. Undercover of the Night

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post

You are not in as much of a minority as you may think.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    For me, I would overpay for Reynolds but not for K Marte or Olson. The As supposedly want an absurd package for him. The only top 5 spec I part with for Olson is Schmidt. I send Medina, Breaux, Sweeney, Andujar but I am not parting with Volpe, Dominguez, Gil or Peraza for him.

For Reynolds? I send Dominguez, Volpe and another top 10 spec.

As much as I love Reynolds, I am thinking K Marte is a better option. He can be a stop gap SS and when Peraza is ready, simply move to CF.

I wouldn't give Story 5 years.

Protect Peraza. Get Reynolds. Sign story short term or Get K Marte. Both options create a more balanced lineup and get this team. more athletic and better defensively.

Ignorance is bliss

Yankees released Gittens which I thought was very strange timing. Why do it now when you could have done it to protect Breux?

Maybe because they are signing someone and needed the space? We can hope

Ignorance is bliss