Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 207 of 277 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,105 of 4143
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Just to play devils advocate, does speed really equate to W's? Or are other factors more important? For instance power and pitching?

Using Statcast's Sprint Speed metric, we graded every team from fastest to slowest based on its projected full-strength starting lineup for the 2020 season. Before we get to the results, here's what you need to know.

First, there are two key benchmarks to remember for Sprint Speed:
    • MLB average = 27 feet per second
    • Elite speed = 30+ feet per second

Now, the scoring system:

Each player gets a + or - for how far above/below average his Sprint Speed is. Below the fastest teams 2021 respective records and finish position.

1) Blue Jays -- Speed score: +19.6 91-71 4th in AL East

2) Padres -- Speed score: +19.3 61- 101 last in NL Central

3) Phillies -- Speed score: +18.5 82-80 2nd NL East

4) Cubs -- Speed score: +15.2 71-91 4th NL Central

5) Braves -- Speed score: +14.1 88-73 1st NL East

6) Dodgers -- Speed score: +14 106-56 2nd NL East

7) Nationals -- Speed score: +13.8 65-07 Last NL East

8) Cardinals -- Speed score: +13.1 90-72 2nd NL Central

9) Rays -- Speed score: +9.9 100-62 1st AL East

10) Indians -- Speed score: +9.8 80-82 2nd AL Central

What exactly has all that speed amounted to? Save for the Rays not much imo. LA had a good season but came up short. Worth noting the WS champion Braves also were #3 in total team Hr's and #4 in SLG%. Also note worthy, the first place finishers, in the ultra competitive, AL East the Tampa Bay Rays, were 1st in total HR's with 262. Speed without power doesn't get you to the finish line.

https://www.mlb.com/news/fastest-mlb-teams-2020
    2 division first places and 4 division second places; not too shabby for just 10 of 30 teams, 6 of the 12 division first and second place spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    2 division first places and 4 division second places; not too shabby for just 10 of 30 teams, 6 of the 12 division first and second place spots.
    As noted those two division winners were also #1 and #3 in HR's!

My point, speed without power isn't enough. Speed is an asset no question, however slow, station to station teams have won and been successful.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    As noted those two division winners were also #1 and #3 in HR's!

My point, speed without power isn't enough. Speed is an asset no question, however slow, station to station teams have won and been successful.

For me it's play style. I love seeing a fast team who can string together doubles, steal bases, bunt for hits, create runs. You absolutely need guys who can crush the ball and the Yankees have 3 of them. Of course a Freeman would fit very nicely but he's not just a power bat. If you stuck him between Judge and Stanton and then had Gallo hit 7 and filled in with athletic, contact hitter who can run? Holy crap that would be a fun team.

Station to station is so boring to watch. It becomes a math equation.

Ignorance is bliss

Taking the power teams out of the speed equation is short sighted, because it's a fact that the power hitters on the speed teams get more fastballs to hit whenever fast runners are on base, so they have a greater opportunity to hit HRs, especially on a poorly placed hurried pitch. To accurately reflect the comparison, you would have to do a full pitch by pitch analytical review of the batters performance with speedy runners on base, whether or not they attempted to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Taking the power teams out of the speed equation is short sighted, because it's a fact that the power hitters on the speed teams get more fastballs to hit whenever fast runners are on base, so they have a greater opportunity to hit HRs, especially on a poorly placed hurried pitch. To accurately reflect the comparison, you would have to do a full pitch by pitch analytical review of the batters performance with speedy runners on base, whether or not they attempted to steal.
    Good point. I Agree. It's a much more complex equation with many inter-dependent variables.

ps. I don't believe any teams were "taken out" of the equation. The ones listed above were the top ten in speed according to statcast metrics. You raise an interesting point, however the authors were interested in documenting speed alone and establishing the "fastest" team speed. I drew the inference to winning, team records and final standing. I agree a bit clumsy and rather simple in design.
    Last edited by drt1010; 12-29-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Volpe is the one Cashman wants as the “NEW” Jeter at SS. Volpe could be the SS until year 2040 if things break right for him snd he is a lifer for the Yankees. Jeter started out as a 21yr old SS, Volpe could do the same.

Anybody expecting Correa or Story are having pipe dreams.

Simmons will be signed IMHO to compete with Volpe for the SS job for 2022. The kid is ready for major league action IMO. If he loses he just goes back to the minors for more seasoning and Simmons would be the perfect stop gap with salary…

I just don’t see Hal signing any big name SS because of the salary. He needs to invest any money into pitching. The basic lineup is all set anyway.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/29/anthon...s-correa-buzz/
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 12-29-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    My favorite Top 10 Rolling Stones songs
    1. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker)
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    5. Sympathy for the Devil
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place
    9. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction
    10. Undercover of the Night

Good point. I Agree. It's a much more complex equation with many inter-dependent variables.

ps. I don't believe any teams were "taken out" of the equation. The ones listed above were the top ten in speed according to statcast metrics. You raise an interesting point, however the authors were interested in documenting speed alone and establishing the "fastest" team speed. I drew the inference to winning, team records and final standing. I agree a bit clumsy and rather simple in design.
    There is a stat for everything. I have a stat to prove that and also stats to disprove all of them

Ignorance is bliss

The #Yankees have internally talked about can Matt Chapman play shortstop per Buster Olney.

WTF? now they are talking about bringing in a guy to play out of position again? parade

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    The #Yankees have internally talked about can Matt Chapman play shortstop per Buster Olney.

WTF? now they are talking about bringing in a guy to play out of position again? parade
    I read that. Yeah. This makes zero sense. They don't need a stop gap like him. He is a righty bat, ks a bunch and not what I would call athletic. He would also cost good specs that could be used elsewhere.

If they want a cheap solution, play Gio as SS. Gio was solid. He doesn't have the power but he Ks less and makes good contact.

Torres at second
    DJ plays third.
    Cabrera plays all 3 spots.

My hope is that all of this is simply media creation because if it isn't, it shows this FO really has no idea regarding direction.

The FO needs to consider the word, "and". It shouldn't be simply, we love his bat or we love his glove or we love his athleticism.
    How about, we love his bat, glove and athleticism?

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I read that. Yeah. This makes zero sense. They don't need a stop gap like him. He is a righty bat, ks a bunch and not what I would call athletic. He would also cost good specs that could be used elsewhere.

If they want a cheap solution, play Gio as SS. Gio was solid. He doesn't have the power but he Ks less and makes good contact.

Torres at second
    DJ plays third.
    Cabrera plays all 3 spots.

My hope is that all of this is simply media creation because if it isn't, it shows this FO really has no idea regarding direction.

The FO needs to consider the word, "and". It shouldn't be simply, we love his bat or we love his glove or we love his athleticism.
    How about, we love his bat, glove and athleticism?
    LOL, that would imply that they were good at their jobs in the FO and i haven't thought Cash and Co have done a good job in a while IMO.

Cashman said they were going to get better defensively, more balanced and athletic. Chapman actually does the exact opposite if he's brought in to play out of position.

I get the impression that this is more of just a "news" because it involves the Yankees and SS. Just because Olney and all his infinite knowledge say they have discussed it doesn't mean it was favorably. It would make zero sense to bring Chapman in to play SS. Why? Unless the A's are saying that Chapman and Olsen have to go together, it makes no sense for the Yanks to bring him in to play out of position.

If they aren't going to give Peraza a shot, who from Cashman's own mouth has said he is MLB ready defensively they need to get a legit guy to play SS. While I would absolutely hate the idea, if they are going to go out and get someone to play SS, get a legit one like Correa or Story.

Why in the world did the front office non tender Wade, who could have been a legit stop gap, if they didn't have a better idea who or what kind of player they want at SS.

I think with the right moves the front office can extend our window, with the wrong ones they can slam it shut. They need to pick a direction and stick with it. I want to see some youth, speed, athleticism and defense brought to the MLB club. Chapman doesn't accomplish any of that IMO. If they don't have a better direction in mind then they just need to sell and start over
    Last edited by dayners81; 12-31-2021 at 03:15 PM.

I agree that trading for Chapman and putting him at SS is the same as placing a square peg in a round hole. A conversation is just a conversation and a sigh is but a sigh. Chapman's salary will be $9.5 million this year. Does it make the Yankees more or less likely to trade a top prospect, if he's in the deal. Did it come up in conversations, because the A's are insisting on Peraza in a trade for Olsen and the Yankees are wondering what to then do about SS?...or perhaps Peraza (I hate to think) has already been traded on paper in a deal with the Twins for a catcher and OF and we are not willing to trade any remaining top prospects for Olsen, so we are doing due diligence by discussing other available players like Chapman.

Joe Migliaccio is the new hitting coordinator for the Yankees.

I dont get the Chapman for SS at all unless the As are saying we would have to take Chapman to get Olsen? Even that really doesn't make sense either because they also have Andrus,who makes more money than Chapman, that they are trying to move also. It makes me nervous because ,imo, both Peraza and Cabrera makes more sense at SS than Chapman.

If they are that far down the list that they are talking about Chapman as a possibility at SS , they must not be interested in any of the FAs left on the market. Unless.Oak is insisting on us talking Chapman back if we want to acquire Olsen, or 1 of the pitchers or maybe both

Day, take it for what it's worth, the rumor circulating on twitter has the Yankees with a blockbuster deal once they resume play. Oakland is at the center of much of the chatter. They need a 1B, starter or two behind Cole, catcher and SS. Oakland seems a very likely partner.

Day, take it for what it's worth, the rumor circulating on twitter has the Yankees with a blockbuster deal once they resume play. Oakland is at the center of much of the chatter. They need a 1B, starter or two behind Cole, catcher and SS. Oakland seems a very likely partner.
    I'm not doubting they have a blockbuster coming but do we really want what Oak is selling bad enough to take Chapman back as a SS? Olsen, the price might be high, but makes a ton of sense. So does Murphy and there 3 pitchers. Even taking back Andrus, if it reduces the asking price, makes some sense as a stop gap. Chapman is the only guy that doesn't IMO.

With our needs and spec depth and Oak wanting young, cheap talent it lines up very well if thats the deal Cashman decides to make