Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 203 of 277 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 4143
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    The boss

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Agreed. He certainly is a guy worth monitoring.

"In 2017, Rodon made just 12 starts (69.1 IP), missing significant time with a bruised left bicep early on, before ending his season with left shoulder inflammation. In 2018, he began the season on the 60-day IL with the same shoulder injury, eventually making 20 starts (120.2 IP). In 2019, Rodon underwent Tommy John surgery after just seven starts (34.2 IP). And in 2020, he managed just 7.2 innings before being non-tendered by the White Sox at the end of the year."

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/...hat-word-risk/

That is quite an injury history. Aside from the bruised bicep, those are all structural issues and cause for concern.
    His FB dropped a ton in the second half of the season. Could it have simply been fatigue? Sure. Maybe it was his first full season in a 3-4 years. Maybe it was settling in a year after TJ surgery.
    Maybe he's broken.

The QO was 18.5 mil. I am guessing they were worried he'd accept. I would guess that means the market will be skeptical and it hopefully drives the price down. Could it be a totally baller move by the WS in the sense that they set him up as damaged goods with the hope that no one offers more than 10-12 and then they can swoop in for 13? Sure but that would be risky.

I agree with Doc and Day, I would rather spend money for him and not trade high level guys for Manea.
    Honestly If they sign Rondon, I would put him on a pitch limit in an attempt to make sure he was healthy for the playoffs.

the Yanks have announced their coaching staff. Manager Boone, Bench Coach Mendoza, Pitching Coach Blake, Hitting Coach Lawson, assistant hitting coaches Eric Chavez which is a great signing, & Casey Dykes. 3RD base Rojas, 1st base coach and infield Coach Travis Chapman, BP Coach Harkey , quality control and catching Tanner Swanson .... I would say thats better than last yr

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    the Yanks have announced their coaching staff. Manager Boone, Bench Coach Mendoza, Pitching Coach Blake, Hitting Coach Lawson, assistant hitting coaches Eric Chavez which is a great signing, & Casey Dykes. 3RD base Rojas, 1st base coach and infield Coach Travis Chapman, BP Coach Harkey , quality control and catching Tanner Swanson .... I would say thats better than last yr
    I love the Chavez signing. I think it is a better crew for sure.

I would do the same with Rondon. I may actually just skip starts to do that. Skip every 5th start or something like that.

Ignorance is bliss

New York Yankees
    Yankeesource
    @YankeeSource

Stanton's contract isn't holding back the Yankees from spending. The Yankees are holding themselves back from spending.

I would do the same with Rondon. I may actually just skip starts to do that. Skip every 5th start or something like that.
    Rondon= Rodon?

Interview with Eric Chavez and why he is excited to join the Yanks https://www.nj.com/yankees/2021/12/y...-to-coach.html

that would make alot of sense. With as much depth as we have in the rotation, I think skipping Sevy and Rodon if were able to get him, would make alot of sense. Have guys like King, Cortes, Gil, Schmidt take a turn and skipping the other 2 in an effort to keep them healthy for the playoffs .

If we got Rodon and Sevy stayed healthy, that would be one of the better rotations in the AL

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Rondon= Rodon?
    Once was funny but i'm pretty sure everyone knew who we meant

Chavez is an excellent choice for our staff. I remember him being known as a top notch 3B coach. Though they brought him in as an assistant batting coach, I could see him providing flexibility in multiple roles. With Mendoza as a bench coach and Rojas as the 3B coach I cold see him also as security if one of them leaves or moves out of their current position (for example, Rojas getting another Manager job)

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Honestly If they sign Rondon, I would put him on a pitch limit in an attempt to make sure he was healthy for the playoffs.
    The White Sox did that, and he was done by August....They gave him days between starts ,he had the most skipped days in the rotation and basically did not have it in the playoffs. Its a shame ,great kid, with great stuff, but the injuries are just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    New York Yankees
    Yankeesource
    @YankeeSource

Stanton's contract isn't holding back the Yankees from spending. The Yankees are holding themselves back from spending.

Stanton is relatively cheap with Jeter taking some of that money. Hal just has a certain budget from year to year and it is what it is as they say. In some offseasons he will spend like a drunken sailor and in others he is penny pinching. The problem is people speculate on when they think he should spend. And then are surprised when he doesnít at that time of certain speculations. But he does have a pattern. He will splurge and then cool off for a few seasons. Right now we are in the middle or end of the cool off period.
    My favorite Top 10 Rolling Stones songs
    1. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker)
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    5. Sympathy for the Devil
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place
    9. (I canít get no) Satisfaction
    10. Undercover of the Night

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    The White Sox did that, and he was done by August....They gave him days between starts ,he had the most skipped days in the rotation and basically did not have it in the playoffs. Its a shame ,great kid, with great stuff, but the injuries are just too much.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea they were doing that with him. I thought he was just shut down from, fatigue.
    It's always a bummer when a guy has that skill but can't stay healthy. All of his injuries aside from the bruised bicep, seem closely related.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Stanton is relatively cheap with Jeter taking some of that money. Hal just has a certain budget from year to year and it is what it is as they say. In some offseasons he will spend like a drunken sailor and in others he is penny pinching. The problem is people speculate on when they think he should spend. And then are surprised when he doesnít at that time of certain speculations. But he does have a pattern. He will splurge and then cool off for a few seasons. Right now we are in the middle or end of the cool off period.
    Good point. However I thought all the machinations of the last several years were designed to reset the luxury tax? In so doing allowing them to spend, particularly on this FA SS class. Imo no better time to open the wallet than now!

Things happen and a team must reevaluate and adjust on the fly. The Yankees learned a bit late that they were too right handed and that individual analytics do not add up to team analytics if the players you have do not perform in synergy. Then, as a result of recent performance, they realized that Gleyber wasn't the answer at SS and they needed another SS, that Hicks couldn't stay on the field and they needed a CF, that Voit is not a long-term answer at 1B and that they needed a defensive upgrade at catcher. Add that to the usual turnover / needs at pitcher and you need an all encompassing approach to improving the team.

At the same time, the good news is the incredible development of multiple prospects, primarily at the SS position that makes the Yankees pause to reevaluate and seek a short term option at SS and/or one that can move to a different position within the next couple of years. It also allows the freedom to spend money elsewhere to correct the LH balance flaw in the line-up.

The Yankees were said to not be willing to sign a 10 year contrac. nor spend $300 million on any one position player. I believe Heyman reported that Seager was discussing a 9 year $297 million contract, prior to the Rangers closing the deal at 10 years and $325 million. Was that discussion with the Yankees? Who knows. However, Seager was the type of player the team could use that was LH and a SS that would likely be moved off the position in less than 2 years. Since that did not go their way, they now must pivot and seek LH hitters at another position, primarily 1B and possibly CF.

As for the luxury tax threshold, the Yankees spent $206 million, which is still a lot, but is under the $210 million threshold, in order to reset the tax from 50% to 17.5%. For comparison, the Dodgers spent around $280 million and were taxed $33 million+ to bring their total payroll outlay to $313 million+. For their $107 million extra, they had a great regular season, but made the playoffs as a wild card team the same as the Yankees and did not make the World Series, the same as the Yankees. Since the payroll > $250 million was taxed at 50%, then that last $45 million paid for Trevor Bauer cost about $65 million of wasted money and they might lose draft picks and international signing money, depending on the current negotiations.

I guess the point is to spend money, but to spend it wisely on good players that are a good fit to address the needs of the team and are also good character guys that are healthy in body and mind and someone like Correa does not fit the bill. He's not LH, he's injury prone, his ego is off the charts and he might be reluctantant to move off the SS position and he wants a $350 million contract. The gap between what it costs the organization in resources both physical and mental is way too much vs an in-house solution.