Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 159 of 220 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 3292
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    you dont want correa you dont want ray you did not want the yanks to go 2 years 50 million for verlander .. and if the yanks cant get olsen you be happy resigning a washed up rizzo something smells fishy do you want the yanks to make the playoffs next year?
    Neither Correa or Seager are worth the money they are likely to get, especially for 10yrs plus. Ray had a career yr, won a CY and is gonna get paid like that even though he's only had 2 good yrs and an extremely inconsistent performance history. At best the with the money and yrs Correa, Ray and Seager are asking, those deals will be questionable in 5yrs. At worst they are going to be they could easily become anchors. If they signed both Ray and Correa, they would be in a complete spending freeze for the next 5yrs. I want smart investment, especially for players they would potentially sign till their late 30's. I'm going to be a Yankee fan next yr, in 5yrs and longer, IMO these top of the market deals will hamstring us for the near future and prevent us from making any other big moves for quite a while. There is a bigger picture than just next yr.

U can't have Stanton, Judge, Cole, Correa and Ray making the money they are going to get till their mid to late 30's and expect to stay competitive in the latter parts of those deals. What they spend this yr will directly effect what they do for many yrs to come. What if Soto becomes available next yr, which is a very real possibility, we wouldn't have the money to extend him long term because of what we already have on the books. Glasnow is going to be available next yr, Cleveland will look to trade Bieber before he gets expensive, Castillio, JRam and other are going to be FA in the next couple yrs. If you add contract for Judge, Correa and Ray that will add up very close to 100m AAV, we would have nothing to spend on better players in that will become available in the future. If u are going to invest that kinda money, they better be exactly the player you want and need.

Cole was arguably the best pitcher but at least top 3 when we signed him. His age, performance, injury history and our need to have an true ace all aligned perfectly and the Yanks paid him that way. There isn't a truly elite, top 10 in baseball type FA available this yr why pay the guys available like they are?

Rizzo might not be what he was offensively, but he's far from washed up. U love defense, Rizzo is still elite on that end, he works counts, makes alot of contact and has a great approach. Most importantly he's not going to take a long or huge financial requirement, so yeah i'd be more than fine with Rizzo back if we can't get Olsen or Freeman.

IMO, We need to prioritize a much better defensive C, an elite defensive C actually upgrades your pitching staff quite a bit. I'd be very happy if they got Stallings, Kelley or Murphy all of which a very realistic possibilities, especially with Gomez signing in Pitt. Looks like Sanchez could be going to MiA and the Pitt now has 2 starting C so Stallings is very realistic.

I'd like to see a big upgrade in CF like Reynolds or K Marte, even if they cost us Dominguez plus. Those are the kinda players u target and should be willing to give up elite specs for. Especially Reynolds, would be an excellent long term addition.

I think Peraza is going to be special, he already is defensively and the bat isn't far behind. If you can get an upgrade in CF, C and 1st you could easily live with Peraza at SS like they did with Jeter in 96. He has shown zero red flags in his career so far and would add alot of dimensions to this team that we don't have. He gives you GG caliber defense from day 1, has the speed and athleticism that we desperately need and projects to hit about 20-25 hrs a yr. At very the very worst case, you have to look at the SS market next yr when Turner is available. Out of Seager, Correa and Turner i'd rather have Turner.

If Peraza can give you elite defense at SS, which he will for day 1, give you 30-40 SB and a league avg bat next yr, all very realistic, is it worth spending 30-35M AAV for injury prone guys like Correa and Seager? i don't see either being worth that much more, especially in 23 and beyond.

I wouldn't have any problem if they got 1 of the A's pitchers, I'd much rather have Manaea for about 10M a yr vs Ray for 6yrs 150M, which even that might be light on what he gets . If thing really click for Manaea he could have a season like Ray did last yr.

We have some very, very promising pitching specs that will be ready next yr and we already have alot starting pitching options already. King really turned a corner once he picked up the Kluber breaking ball, Gil looked promising, Schmidt is still a very good spec, Vasquez has some of the best stuff in the MILB according to a recent BA report.

The 3 most promising pitching specs we have IMO, are Waldichuk who was 3rd in all the MILB in K's, throw mid to high 90's from the LH side and has 3 above avg or better breaking balls. Medina has as good of stuff as anyone on the Yanks, he's right up there with Cole and Lo. He throws a 100 plus easily, had a Doc Gooden CB and a plus or better CU. The command isn't quite there yet but it has improved every yr and he;s still only 22. Wesneski is another one with a huge ceiling, 2 mid high 90's FB's, elite SL and an above avg CU.

With an elite game caller/ defensive C it would drastically improve our pitching staff all around. If your pitchers have confidence in that their C will keep everything in front of him, it helps the pitcher expand the zone. If our C gets better so will our pitching, especially the kids coming

I see much more productive and realistic option on the trade market than i do in FA. I want no part of any of the starting pitchers for 25-30m plus for 5yrs plus. Both Correa and Seager are injury prone and while they are very good, neither are worth 300m plus for 10yrs.

In 13-16 we saw what happens when you have a team loaded with expensive older players in decline and i want no part of that again. I'll root like hell for anyone they sign but paying top dollar for the guys that are available isn;t the way i would construct this team going forward. We have the system to make big splashes on the trade market and with the prices were hearing so far, trades make more sense than FA
    Last edited by dayners81; 11-29-2021 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJYANKS12 View Post
    He gave up 7 more home runs than Correa hit. Good enough for 5th in all of baseball. He would get shelled in NY

I'm still trying to understand why we would want Correa when the Astros aren't even trying to keep him. At least with Seager the Dodger have prioritized him over Scherzer and Kershaw.

Why is it the team that knows Correa the best and are loaded financially not making an effort to keep him. If they team that knows him the best only think he's worth about half of what he is asking, what does that say about that player? Outside of the yr we know he was cheating, he hasn't had an elite offensive yr and has actually posted numbers league avg or lower in 2 of his 7yrs

I think Ray will command at least 25 million AAV for possibly 7 years if Gausman got 5 years and 22 million AAV. Even Jon Gray of all pitchers got 4 years. I think we are seeing the deep deep consequences of not signing either Morton or Lynn, or both the previous season. Based on what we're seeing on the market right now, would you take either one on a one or two year deal right now? You'd be kidding yourself if you said no. With 7 starters I honestly believe they are going to pass on every TORP this offseason and rely on Nestor Cortes to be our number 2 in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Mush, your forgetting what players cost now, compared to the yrs George was in charge. Jeter made about 19M a yr in his prime yrs, Arod got 25M in his first monster deal. 19m is the qualifying offer and only gets u a 32yr old Marte till his late 30, 25m gets you Siemen till his late 30's. Clemens cost us 25m for 1yr, now a guy like Verlander who hasn't pitched in 2yrs and coming off TJS is going to be 39 and gets 2yrs 50m. Scherzer is looking for 3yr120m and is likely going to get it.

If our payroll had gone up as much as salaries in the last 20yrs then we could take on theses kind of deals, but it hasn't. Our payroll has stayed in the same 200m range for since the time George was in charge. A 200M payroll in the early 2000's would be about 350m now with inflation and the cost of players. Could the Yanks spend that much, maybe? but with the current CBA their are way to many penalties if you spend that kind of money multiple yrs in a row. Unless they due away with the luxury tax we can't buy rings like we did before.

It doesn't matter if the fans like it or not but to stay competitive you have to build from within. Prospects have failed here, the majority of them fail everywhere but that doesn't mean u stop trying. You don't get the next Tatis, Vlad Jr, Acuna or any of the other great young players if you don't keep them around.

Volpe was the best all around hitter in the MILB last yr according to MLB.com. Peraza is an elite defensively and MLB ready according to many advanced scouts. If either come close to there potential that the scouts see, Correa and Seager aren't going to worth the 30M plus more they are going to making compared to the kids.

If we could spend 350m, which would be about the equivalent of what we used to spend, then the specs wouldn't matter as much, but it's just not that way anymore. The business of baseball has changed and every team has to adapt. Giving guys like Correa and Seager 10yrs plus 300m plus isn't the smartest move when your 2 best specs could give you very similar production in the next couple yrs.

There are some very good players available this yr, but none i would call top 10 overall. No one is putting up Arod type numbers or have his talent but your going to see a couple guys get that kinda money or more. It's great that George was able to due things his way in his time, but those times are gone.

Until we can spend 350M without massive penalties your going to see teams focus on developing from within and adding to that with trades and FA. As great as it would be, teams can no longer build long term with FA
    Day, I understand….. it my point is the Yankees are a money machine. They do not have to worry about penalties like say a mid level organization as it would really hurt them. Hal just uses that excuse and it is a joke. I don’t hear the LA Dodgers complaining about the penalties and the Yankees make more than them worldwide. Hal needs to understand that the Yankees are a brand and quit using it like a business that has strict guidelines and Hal will get yelled at by someone higher than him. He is the highest, he is the boss and he is a terrible MLB owner with a team that prints money.

Now open up the damn dusty wallet and quit feeding us excuses…..

And Day, specs are good to have, never mad about that but sometimes you have to make very painful trades and Cashman just won’t do it.
    My favorite Top 10 Rolling Stones songs
    1. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker)
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    5. Sympathy for the Devil
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place
    9. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction
    10. Undercover of the Night

Mark Feinsand
    @Feinsand
    ·
    1h
    Why the crazy rush of deals this weekend? Multiple executives believe that if deals aren’t agreed to by tomorrow night, it’s unlikely they can get completed with physicals, language, etc, by Wednesday night when the CBA is set to expire. Could be a crazy 24 hours
    Well, we shall see. My bets are on Hal closing the door until a new CBA deal is set in stone. He is too worried about the net profit.
    My favorite Top 10 Rolling Stones songs
    1. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker)
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    5. Sympathy for the Devil
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place
    9. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction
    10. Undercover of the Night

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Day, I understand….. it my point is the Yankees are a money machine. They do not have to worry about penalties like say a mid level organization as it would really hurt them. Hal just uses that excuse and it is a joke. I don’t hear the LA Dodgers complaining about the penalties and the Yankees make more than them worldwide. Hal needs to understand that the Yankees are a brand and quit using it like a business that has strict guidelines and Hal will get yelled at by someone higher than him. He is the highest, he is the boss and he is a terrible MLB owner with a team that prints money.

Now open up the damn dusty wallet and quit feeding us excuses…..

And Day, specs are good to have, never mad about that but sometimes you have to make very painful trades and Cashman just won’t do it.
    Mush, it doesn't matter what the Yanks make when their are those restraints in place. The Dodgers clearly aren't spending what they did last yr or Max wouldn't be headed to the Mets and Seager wouldn't likely be signing else where.

When your payroll has been the same for 20 yrs but prices for players have almost doubled, you can't sign everyone. You absolutely can't loose draft pics and IFA money every yr, pay a monster LT and hope to stay competitive. Your 100% correct that sometimes you need to trade specs and it hurts, but first you have to be able to acquire those players in the draft and IFA.

The Yanks can afford to keep a payroll right around the LT level and in many yrs exceed it but they can't go massively over ever yr and stay competitive long term, the business of baseball, even for the Yanks and Dodgers doesn't work that way anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    That 3 months just flew by!
    Time flies [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post

I'm still trying to understand why we would want Correa when the Astros aren't even trying to keep him. At least with Seager the Dodger have prioritized him over Scherzer and Kershaw.

Why is it the team that knows Correa the best and are loaded financially not making an effort to keep him. If they team that knows him the best only think he's worth about half of what he is asking, what does that say about that player? Outside of the yr we know he was cheating, he hasn't had an elite offensive yr and has actually posted numbers league avg or lower in 2 of his 7yrs
    Correa has Arod talent. He just hasn't figured out how to put it together. I fully expect him to hit over 300 with 30 Hr and 100 SB, while playing elite defense over the next 5 years. Thee will be some trail off years 6-8 and then he will probably be down at 275 with 20 hr and 10 SB a year for his last two year.
    He is Arod level!!! There is no denying that. I mean he just didn't do anything Arod did at the age Arod did. But he is Arod level. I mean, when you compare their numbers from their first 7 seasons, he didn't come close to Arod numbers but he's definitely Arod level.
    He's the next ARod!! Arod dammit!

Dear lord please let them sign Seager.

Ignorance is bliss

this is a serious matter the future of the yankees is at stake!!
    My God!!! No! The future of the Yankees is at stake? Why didn't you say this earlier? Good lord ole chap, what can we do to save the future of the Yankees? Stop the presses! We need this to go out in the evening edition.

Ignorance is bliss

Quite few reports suggesting Seager will sign today and the Yankees are the most likely landing spot

https://www.mlb.com/news/corey-seage...power-rankings

Take it for what it's worth but a ton of reports suggesting today is going to be insane. Which could easily mean, nothing happens

I have to confess, it would be funny if they did nothing. I think you could hear the collective "pop" of Yankees fans' heads explode around the world

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Correa has Arod talent. He just hasn't figured out how to put it together. I fully expect him to hit over 300 with 30 Hr and 100 SB, while playing elite defense over the next 5 years. Thee will be some trail off years 6-8 and then he will probably be down at 275 with 20 hr and 10 SB a year for his last two year.
    He is Arod level!!! There is no denying that. I mean he just didn't do anything Arod did at the age Arod did. But he is Arod level. I mean, when you compare their numbers from their first 7 seasons, he didn't come close to Arod numbers but he's definitely Arod level.
    He's the next ARod!! Arod dammit!

Dear lord please let them sign Seager.
    Good post. Obviously, some of the participants on this message board do understand thet Correa is one of the top 10 hitters of all time, batting over .300 for his career with 50 HR power and is worthy of the highest contract ever for a SS. The rest of us just don't get it.

Newsflash Folks: When there is high demand and low supply you pay more than you want.

Stop buying into the owner PR machine...the Yankees could drop d!ck and go for a $400MM payroll next season if they really want to.

ALL payroll limits are self imposed.

Cash and Hal playing coy is annoying but watching fans support fielding an inferior team so that Hal can save money is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Quite few reports suggesting Seager will sign today and the Yankees are the most likely landing spot

https://www.mlb.com/news/corey-seage...power-rankings

Take it for what it's worth but a ton of reports suggesting today is going to be insane. Which could easily mean, nothing happens

I have to confess, it would be funny if they did nothing. I think you could hear the collective "pop" of Yankees fans' heads explode around the world
    it;s really quiet on the Yankee front on everything but Sanchez. With Gomez sign with Pitt, I really think we end up with Stallings. If he;s really available thats a deal that needs to get done.

we'll see about Seager, it will be very interesting to see how much money he gets. I heard he had an offer for 9yrs297m from someone
    Last edited by dayners81; 11-29-2021 at 09:44 AM.

oel Sherman
    @Joelsherman1
    ·
    16m
    There is expected to be a frenzy of moves today. In words of 1 executive today will be “bananas.” Becuase physicals and contract language needs to be finalized b4 potential lockout midnight Wed into Thurs, today is seen as close to a deadline to finalize deals.

Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    Newsflash Folks: When there is high demand and low supply you pay more than you want.

Stop buying into the owner PR machine...the Yankees could drop d!ck and go for a $400MM payroll next season if they really want to.

ALL payroll limits are self imposed.

Cash and Hal playing coy is annoying but watching fans support fielding an inferior team so that Hal can save money is worse.
    Who's dick?

I agree. They have the means to do what they want but they instead play the need to be frugal

Ignorance is bliss