Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 225 of 277 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235275 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 4143
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Your right about Voits power but he's not a 1st baseman, he;s a DH IMO. He's awful defensively and is an injury risk any time he moves faster than a jog around the bases. He'll make some national league team very happy assuming the get the DH.

I want nothing to due with Correa at his asking price, he's a defensive first SS. Thats great but you don't give that guy a Lindor type contract. I'm not saying he's not a good player but he isn't a top 10 player and shouldn't get payed like one

Also when your 1,2 & 5 specs are SS's that you've invested heavily in the last couple yrs, blocking that position for the next 10yrs makes no sense to me..
    I would trust Correa's bat a lot more than Lindor's and few people were bigger fans of Lindors than I was going into last season. The thing with Correa is that he's worth Seager type money. 20 DRS at SS last year, 134 wRC+. That's an incredible combo and he's always been really good both offensively and defensively. He's not 20 DRS good but he'll easily give you 130 wRC+ and 10 DRS in an average season. Makes him a great candidate to eventually move him to 3rd with the hopes that Peraza, Volpe or Sweeney land the SS spot. The great thing about natural SSs is many of them have the athleticism to play the OF if they can get enough reps out there. I could easily see the Yankees making one of those guys an OFer if they arent used as trade bait (assuming they get Correa).

I get wanting Olson. I just don't like giving up top prospects for 1st baseman. Story and Olson would be solid additions to the lineup if that's the way they go though.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2022 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    I don't think Olson takes nearly as much as people think. The A's are cheap and ultimately will settle for a subpar package for him just to avoid paying him unless there is a bidding war. 1B typically don't go for as much as you'd think.
    Cheap? Or smart? Beane built the organization on a shoe string budget. Oakland has historically been in the bottom 1/4 in payroll. Imo A's will extract max value. Time will tell. I hope you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I would trust Correa's bat a lot more than Lindor's and few people were bigger fans of Lindors than I was going into last season. The thing with Correa is that he's worth Seager type money. 20 DRS at SS last year, 134 wRC+. That's an incredible combo and he's always been really good both offensively and defensively. He's not 20 DRS good but he'll easily give you 130 wRC+ and 10 DRS in an average season. Makes him a great candidate for moving him to eventually move him to 3rd with the hopes that Peraza, Volpe or Sweeney land the SS spot. The great thing about natural SSs is many of them have the athleticism to play the OF if they can get enough reps out there. I could easily see the Yankees making one of those guys an OFer if they arent used as trade bait (assuming they get Correa).

I get wanting Olson. I just don't like giving up top prospects for 1st baseman. Story and Olson would be solid additions to the lineup if that's the way they go though.
    If Correa's typical yr last yr was what he usually does, i would agree but it's not. He's only played 110 plus games twice in his career. He's never driven in 100 runs, he's hit 25 hrs 1 time, he's only scored more than 100 runs once, hit .300 once and that was the yr they knew what pitch was coming. He's been injured alot and lower back injuries, especially with his body type, don't get better as u age.

I won't argue that he's elite defensively, but so is Peraza. I have zero interesting in giving Correa 340m for 10yr when Peraza can play GG caliber defense and put up 80% of Correa's offensive numbers. I think Peraza is going to be special and i love the speed and elite athleticism that he adds. We need more guys who can take the extra base or score from 1st when a ball is in the gap, Correa isn't that guy. Correa has stolen 33 bases in his career and only 6 in the last 5 seasons. I would take Lindor 10 times out of 10 over Correa.

The fit isn't good and he could be a potential clubhouse disaster with how Judge and Stanton feel about him. Also if you give Correa the deal he's looking for your going to have to pay Judge more AAV wise and unless the luxury tax goes way up, Hal isn't spending 250-260 every yr on payroll. Were already at 220m without doing a thing, if you sign Correa, Extend Judge which is gonna cost 35M AAV at least, and get a 1st baseman which is the bare minimum we could do, we'd be pushing a 270M in payroll with an incomplete team IMO

If Correa's typical yr last yr was what he usually does, i would agree but it's not. He's only played 110 plus games twice in his career. He's never driven in 100 runs, he's hit 25 hrs 1 time, he's only scored more than 100 runs once, hit .300 once and that was the yr they knew what pitch was coming. He's been injured alot and lower back injuries, especially with his body type, don't get better as u age.

I won't argue that he's elite defensively, but so is Peraza. I have zero interesting in giving Correa 340m for 10yr when Peraza can play GG caliber defense and put up 80% of Correa's offensive numbers. I think Peraza is going to be special and i love the speed and elite athleticism that he adds. We need more guys who can take the extra base or score from 1st when a ball is in the gap, Correa isn't that guy. Correa has stolen 33 bases in his career and only 6 in the last 5 seasons. I would take Lindor 10 times out of 10 over Correa.

The fit isn't good and he could be a potential clubhouse disaster with how Judge and Stanton feel about him. Also if you give Correa the deal he's looking for your going to have to pay Judge more AAV wise and unless the luxury tax goes way up, Hal isn't spending 250-260 every yr on payroll. Were already at 220m without doing a thing, if you sign Correa, Extend Judge which is gonna cost 35M AAV at least, and get a 1st baseman which is the bare minimum we could do, we'd be pushing a 270M in payroll with an incomplete team IMO
    I get it. I understand he's an injury risk and that clubhouse chemistry can be an issue. Not to mention his financial demands. I have to believe Story is on the table then. He can be a stop gap to one of those younger guys and you can move him to 3rd base in a couple of seasons. I have to believe the Yankees do more than the rumored Andrelton Simmons.

I like Olson but it seems like the A's are going to ask a king's ransom for the guy. Got to hope they are just dumping payroll which is definitely on the table. Not sure they're going to be in Oakland much longer anyways.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2022 at 01:53 AM.

Your right about Voits power but he's not a 1st baseman, he;s a DH IMO. He's awful defensively and is an injury risk any time he moves faster than a jog around the bases. He'll make some national league team very happy assuming the get the DH.

I want nothing to due with Correa at his asking price, he's a defensive first SS. Thats great but you don't give that guy a Lindor type contract. I'm not saying he's not a good player but he isn't a top 10 player and shouldn't get payed like one

Also when your 1,2 & 5 specs are SS's that you've invested heavily in the last couple yrs, blocking that position for the next 10yrs makes no sense to me..
    Yeah, Correa is a solid player (and not just with the glove) but I'd have zero interest in him at the expected cost; especially if you have a top notch shortstop prospect that should be ready in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Cheap? Or smart? Beane built the organization on a shoe string budget. Oakland has historically been in the bottom 1/4 in payroll. Imo A's will extract max value. Time will tell. I hope you are right.
    Cheap and smart; the two are not mutually exclusive.

I like Voit and if he were left handed, he'd be fine. He's far from a gold glove 1B, but he does make the occasional good play and he can handle throws from the IF and is even capable of doing splits to stretch and catching them.

The problem is that he is subject to strikeouts on sliders from RH pitchers, as is Stanton, as is Sanchez and as is Judge and Torres to a slightly lesser degree than the other three. DJ and Gio, not as much, but still a little. So certain pitchers can dominate the lineup in key spots in a game. The point is that we all know that we have to break up the RH batters and 1B is a prime location to do it and Voit does not field any other positions. In actuality, we wanted to trade for Barnhart who's LH for catcher, but the Tigers scooped him up and we tried to sign Seager, who's LH for SS, but the Rangers overpaid for him. So, now the best option for a LH hitter is at 1B and there aren't any at SS, which is another reason that it is stupid to isgn Correa, a RH hitter to a massive 10 year contract.

Agreed, At this point i think we might be lucky to get a 100 game season. It's all going to depend on how much money each side is willing to lose. Players might be missing game checks but owners will be missing money from the MLB TV deals, advertising, slowed merchandise sales as well as all the revenue from the ball parks.

Someone is going to flinch first, i have my money on the players, but maybe they union prepared players for this happening. I hope i'm very wrong but we'll see who it plays out
    The longer it runs the stronger the resolve of the owners Imo. That’s when it could get ugly. Once games are missed I think the owners will be less likely to do a deal too much bad feeling between parties. It’s either resolved for full season or a real mess is my Pennie’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Cheap and smart; the two are not mutually exclusive.
    Agreed. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    A’s said to be “shooting for the moon,” in early Matt Olson trade talks. Can’t blame em. 39 HR. .911 OPS. 5.8 WAR. 2 years ‘til free agency.

I’d rather pay Freeman for 5-6 years than Correa for 10, and it’s not close

Quote Originally Posted by RJYANKS12 View Post
    I’d rather pay Freeman for 5-6 years than Correa for 10, and it’s not close
    Absolutely positively no doubt about it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    A’s said to be “shooting for the moon,” in early Matt Olson trade talks. Can’t blame em. 39 HR. .911 OPS. 5.8 WAR. 2 years ‘til free agency.
    If memory serves me this is an old tweet. Every team starts off asking for the moon for a player of his caliber. If they are truly motivated to move him, however, their demands will come down. If someone gives them the moon so be it. If not, and the price us realistic, he's the second best first baseman on the market.

When the lockout ends, we had better be ready to move, because 1) if Freeman leaves the Braves, he would prefer to go to the Dodgers and they might be willing to offer the 6 years that the Braves don't and 2) the Braves would be willing to trade for Olsen, who's from the greater Atlanta area and you know the A's will ask for less from the Braves than the Yankees. Perhaps, we should make a quick offer for either or both of them and immediately pivot to signing Rizzo. For instance offer Freeman 6 years and $180 million or put our best trade offer that doesn't include our top 3 prospects on the table with the A's and give them 48 hours for a response, before we pivot.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Union and owners meeting again tomorrow.
    At least it’s movement

Ignorance is bliss