Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I hear ya but i just dont think hoyer gonna pull the trigger too much on everyday starters..

Contreras Schwindel Madrigal Hoerner Wisdom Happ Heyward Ortega are all most likely returning.
    So, sure they can upgrade but i think they stick with Ortega and another cheap OFer as they wait for Davis to come up, i think with all the SS in system they probably go with Hoerner for at least the year..

I dont know i just think 2022 gonna be more of a bridge year for position players to see what they have with upcoming prospects and they will spend majority of money ghis offseason on pitching

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    I think they'll sign 1 starting corner OF and at least 1 starting IF. If Nico was healthy i could see them starting him at SS, but with injury concerns with Nico and Madrigal it's a coins flip if they try to get a SS. I think at 3B they'll at least get someone to platoon if not start. Wisdom's left/right splits were exactly the same, maybe someone who can hit breaking balls because he was useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I think they'll sign 1 starting corner OF and at least 1 starting IF. If Nico was healthy i could see them starting him at SS, but with injury concerns with Nico and Madrigal it's a coins flip if they try to get a SS. I think at 3B they'll at least get someone to platoon if not start. Wisdom's left/right splits were exactly the same, maybe someone who can hit breaking balls because he was useless.
    They absolutely need to sign a SS and have Nico be the super utility guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    I support that. Nico is a great athlete. He's easily the fastest guy on the team according to the metrics, and he has been one of the top fielding 2B the last few seasons so i'm sure he can play anywhere.

Unless it is Baez of a lesser SS like Simmons, I do not see this at all. I doubt very highly that the Cubs are in on guys like Story, Correa or Seager. Unless Semien is not offered a QO or wants more than a 3 year deal, i doubt him as well. I just do not see the Cubs offering a long term offer to a guy who comes with a QO. Maybe Escobar or C. Taylor ( if he isnt given a QO) are also options. I know neither is exactly a SS, but they can probably play there some with Nico getting the majority of starts.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Unless it is Baez of a lesser SS like Simmons, I do not see this at all. I doubt very highly that the Cubs are in on guys like Story, Correa or Seager. Unless Semien is not offered a QO or wants more than a 3 year deal, i doubt him as well. I just do not see the Cubs offering a long term offer to a guy who comes with a QO. Maybe Escobar or C. Taylor ( if he isnt given a QO) are also options. I know neither is exactly a SS, but they can probably play there some with Nico getting the majority of starts.
    I'm not really sure what the Cubs will be in on or not, and I think it's important to remember that the CBA is going to be signed before anyone signs anyone. There may be no QO any longer, or draft pick compensation, or a lot of things. You take away the QO, and the Cubs' plans may change this offseason.

The Cubs should be in on those players and I hope they make that decision. I remain skeptical that Ricketts will allow the Cubs to be in a spot where they can be in on those players and have it make sense, but I'm hoping with the CBA that it may force the Cubs into a better position.

Im really interested in Chris Taylor. Think he would fit great.

Marcus Siemien on like a 4-5 year deal is an interesting target for me as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JBears79; 10-10-2021 at 03:38 PM.

Im really interested in Chris Taylor. Think he would fit great.

Marcus Siemien on like a 4-5 year deal is an interesting target for me as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Really doubt they're in on 4-5 year deals for guys over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    All depends on who he decides to hire as GM. If he has someone in his ear like a guy from an organization like the Rays, which is probably the smartest and most forward thinking organization in the game, then I can see a lot of changes being made.
    Cleveland and Minnesota are also on the cutting edge. Any of the candidates named seem like they'd get them considerably closer to the forefront.

Hope we have a good bench next year, and stock up on AAA depth. Last few years we've given away much too many AB's to bad hitters like Sogard, Descalso, and keep starting guys who struggle, like Heyward, Happ, Bote etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I support that. Nico is a great athlete. He's easily the fastest guy on the team according to the metrics, and he has been one of the top fielding 2B the last few seasons so i'm sure he can play anywhere.
    He's also the fastest guy to a season ending injury.

The Cubs practically traded for the better version of Nico so I wouldn't hesitate to think about trading him.

Great stuff guys!

Also, it's great to see rcal back in the mix. Excellent stuff my friend!

So basically you are saying they are going to spend on pitching and then waste the first year of those pitchers free agency. The players you mention for the teams offense should not stop them from adding hitting. At best you have 5 starters and a platoon. Heyward should be cut. Nico can start but play all over. A guy like Ortega or Wisdom should be platoon players. Even if Davis comes up eventually there are 2 and probably 3 players they can sign to upgrade the offense. Unless they are tanking 2022 there is no reason not to add offense. And if they are tanking there is no reason to spend big on pitching and waste a year. To me, your half in plan is the worst possible outcome for the off season. Now, that said, that could be what they end up doing. I just hate that plan and see no value or reason for it.
    Next year already a bridge year..
    They pretty much need everything on both sides, pitching and hitting, so unless they plan on signing a few significant upgrades as regulars and SP, theyll be basically wasting the first year anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Next year already a bridge year..
    They pretty much need everything on both sides, pitching and hitting, so unless they plan on signing a few significant upgrades as regulars and SP, theyll be basically wasting the first year anyways.

Most thought this was a bridge year for the Giants, Red Sox, and Mariners and they all won 90+.

Itíll be a bridge year if they refuse to add as much talent as possible because they think they need to add too much talent. Just go bring in as much value as possible and maybe the bridge year doesnít have to be a bridge year.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Most thought this was a bridge year for the Giants, Red Sox, and Mariners and they all won 90+.

Itíll be a bridge year if they refuse to add as much talent as possible because they think they need to add too much talent. Just go bring in as much value as possible and maybe the bridge year doesnít have to be a bridge year.
    Agreed. Besides that, when did Hoyer ever suggest 2022 is a bridge year anyway? To me, if you go in on pitching you also need to go in on hitting. Or do neither, sign some guys to 1 year deals to flip and tank 2022. (Which is NOT what I want, nor feel they should ever do). But it makes little sense to sign pitchers to multi year deals if you do not intend on also signing some guys for the line up. I honestly see no reason why they cannot compete for a playoff spot if they want to get close to the luxury tax. And I also do understand why as a large market team they should always be, at the very least, right up against the luxury tax. They might need some luck and might need to make some good signings or trades, but it can be done.

Agreed. Besides that, when did Hoyer ever suggest 2022 is a bridge year anyway? To me, if you go in on pitching you also need to go in on hitting. Or do neither, sign some guys to 1 year deals to flip and tank 2022. (Which is NOT what I want, nor feel they should ever do). But it makes little sense to sign pitchers to multi year deals if you do not intend on also signing some guys for the line up. I honestly see no reason why they cannot compete for a playoff spot if they want to get close to the luxury tax. And I also do understand why as a large market team they should always be, at the very least, right up against the luxury tax. They might need some luck and might need to make some good signings or trades, but it can be done.
    All Hoyer did was suggest that they're going to be looking for value, and people read into it assuming that he's already writing the year off. Cubs fans really like to ignore Hoyer's comments about tanking and what the Cubs did when he and Theo initially got here and why the baseball landscape makes that a less viable strategy. There's a lot of anchoring towards assuming that because ownership was stingy after 2018 and cut back after pandemic losses and the Cubs did the tank thing already that the team will look to minimize payroll and bottom out.

Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast