Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Highlights from Hoyer presser yesterday:

- Mentioned nothing specific about FA needs, besides looking to improve starting pitching. Said they will be active in FA this year and they have a lot of holes to fill.

- Emphasized Cubs will spend smartly this winter, and not try to "win the offseason". This means they will focus on value foremost, not simply trying to overspend and acquire better players than everyone else. Implied they aren't opposed to going after big dollar FA's if the value is sound. Said teams like SF didn't "win the offseason" last winter but made shrewd moves to improve, while others with seemingly splashy offseasons didn't make the playoffs.

- No specific timetable on Brennen Davis, said he blew past expectations this year and moved faster than expected so no reason to pigeon hole him next year because he could blow past expectations again in 2022.

- Nico was frustrated with the injuries this year, especially since he came into the season having done tons of offseason work to prepare. Journalist asked if Nico's new muscle-bound body was possibly responsible for Nico's injuries. Hoyer said it's something they've considered and they'll keep that in mind going forward, meaning finding a conditioning program that works for him whatever that may be. Says Nico's versatility make him more valuable and Nico is open to moving around or sticking to 1 position for a prolong period, whatever is needed.

- Sounds like Steele, Thompson, Mills, Alzolay are in the mix for rotation and/or pen roles next year but won't commit to any role or roster spot for anyone, Looks like Cubs will play it by ear based on performance and needs (seems reasonable). Said Mills seems to perform better as a starter than reliever. Said he likes the idea of starting young SP prospects in the pen at the MLB level to get their feet wet, it also sometimes shows them they're able to push their stuff harder in-game and not fatigue as much as they assume which they can apply to when they start.

- Said Contreras played too much this year. Problems with all the backup catchers they went through led to needing him to start more than ideal. Thinks he is an elite hitter but its hard to hit elite when your legs are tired. Said everyone really likes Chirinos who was able to settle into backup role (no hints at whether he'll be brought back).

- Said Heyward battled lots of little injuries this year, said he had his best season with the Cubs last year, wasn't able to get things going this year.

- Happy Happ was able to finish strong, thinks he can be an elite player if he's able to avoid the prolong slumps.

- Said would like Wisdom to improve on K-rate but also don't want to take away from his hitting strengths. Says he's a good defender, and has added value with his versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    - Happy Happ was able to finish strong, thinks he can be an elite player if he's able to avoid the prolong slumps.
    Lol. We've been hearing that same shtick about the entire roster since 2017, up until the point they non tendered Schwarber and traded everyone else at the deadline.

Happ still strikes out at a 30% rate. He still isn't good in the upper third of the zone or down and in. He still is strictly a platoon player. Slumps are never going away.

Team is going to be stuck in the mud if we still have the mindset of thinking that players who are inevitably going to slump for significant chunks of the season are going to turn into an "elite player."
    Last edited by cuzi; 10-07-2021 at 04:02 PM.

2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

4 potential GM names in here.

1 from the Rays, 2 from Cleveland, 1 from Minnesota. I donít believe any of them have worked with Jed/Theo in the past.

https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/st...926784512?s=21

I remember listening to the candidate from the Rays on Keith Lawís podcast a couple years ago. He seems like heíd be an impressive hire.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-09-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Rays front office alums should be priority number 1. Never heard of this Carlos Rodriguez guy but he's vp of development of the rays so that sounds juicy.

Carlos would be a great hire. His background is an area scout, and has a specialty in Latin America. Would be great to continue to crush IFA scouting and help turn the Cubs into a similar type destination as the Dodgers have been over the years. He's been VP of player development dating back to 2019. I would assume he probably played a big deal in picking players like Randy Aronzerena and Cole Wilcox in trades, which have both been home runs. Adding someone with his background to Kantrovitz and Breslow would be big.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I'm willing to give anyone from the Rays tree a shot. Since that franchise got new ownership and a new name 14 seasons ago, they've been to 2 WS (potentially a 3rd this year), 7 playoffs, and had 8 90+ win seasons. They've only been below .500 4 times. They make trades that the rest of the league questions what the hell they are doing by trading a former Cy Young with 3 years remaining on a $10M AAV contract and they still go out there and win 100 games and many would argue the best team in baseball. And they have all of this success being the little fish in a big pond with the Yankees and Red Sox dumping 4-5x as much money in their rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    6 yr 150 mill is still good imo, think that would be too rich for Ricketts liking tho
    If Giants want him back and make a reasonable offer, i think KB would be happy to stay out West.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Highlights from Hoyer presser yesterday:

- Mentioned nothing specific about FA needs, besides looking to improve starting pitching. Said they will be active in FA this year and they have a lot of holes to fill.

- Emphasized Cubs will spend smartly this winter, and not try to "win the offseason". This means they will focus on value foremost, not simply trying to overspend and acquire better players than everyone else. Implied they aren't opposed to going after big dollar FA's if the value is sound. Said teams like SF didn't "win the offseason" last winter but made shrewd moves to improve, while others with seemingly splashy offseasons didn't make the playoffs.

- No specific timetable on Brennen Davis, said he blew past expectations this year and moved faster than expected so no reason to pigeon hole him next year because he could blow past expectations again in 2022.

- Nico was frustrated with the injuries this year, especially since he came into the season having done tons of offseason work to prepare. Journalist asked if Nico's new muscle-bound body was possibly responsible for Nico's injuries. Hoyer said it's something they've considered and they'll keep that in mind going forward, meaning finding a conditioning program that works for him whatever that may be. Says Nico's versatility make him more valuable and Nico is open to moving around or sticking to 1 position for a prolong period, whatever is needed.

- Sounds like Steele, Thompson, Mills, Alzolay are in the mix for rotation and/or pen roles next year but won't commit to any role or roster spot for anyone, Looks like Cubs will play it by ear based on performance and needs (seems reasonable). Said Mills seems to perform better as a starter than reliever. Said he likes the idea of starting young SP prospects in the pen at the MLB level to get their feet wet, it also sometimes shows them they're able to push their stuff harder in-game and not fatigue as much as they assume which they can apply to when they start.

- Said Contreras played too much this year. Problems with all the backup catchers they went through led to needing him to start more than ideal. Thinks he is an elite hitter but its hard to hit elite when your legs are tired. Said everyone really likes Chirinos who was able to settle into backup role (no hints at whether he'll be brought back).

- Said Heyward battled lots of little injuries this year, said he had his best season with the Cubs last year, wasn't able to get things going this year.

- Said would like Wisdom to improve on K-rate but also don't want to take away from his hitting strengths. Says he's a good defender, and has added value with his versatility.
    I keep saying, we're not gonna see much change over with the everyday players.
    The main focus this offseason will be pitching

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

Since you say it every i10 posts off course we know your opinion. However if they do that they will have another 4th place finish. That offense sucks. Unless the pitchers they add are Scherzer, Stroman and they trade for another TOR starter then sign Iglesias and 2 more high end relievers they cannot win with that offense. And they arenít signing those pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Since you say it every i10 posts off course we know your opinion. However if they do that they will have another 4th place finish. That offense sucks. Unless the pitchers they add are Scherzer, Stroman and they trade for another TOR starter then sign Iglesias and 2 more high end relievers they cannot win with that offense. And they arenít signing those pitchers.
    Yeah, show me the last 10 times ive mentioned it with dates attached..

How many starting position players do you think theyre gonna go out and add that will make a big difference in the overall offense?

I mean i hope they can and will upgrade on a couple of the current starting players but id be surprise if they add more then two new players to the everyday lineup.

I think the smart move for a longer window going forward would be to focus more on pitching this offseason, then next year theyll have a better idea where more of their hitting prospects are at and then next offseason they can focus on some pitching and more hitting...

Next season we will probably see Davis, C.Morel, Amaya, Rivas and some others get a good look at the MLB level at some point during the season

Yeah, show me the last 10 times ive mentioned it with dates attached..

How many starting position players do you think theyre gonna go out and add that will make a big difference in the overall offense?

I mean i hope they can and will upgrade on a couple of the current starting players but id be surprise if they add more then two new players to the everyday lineup.

I think the smart move for a longer window going forward would be to focus more on pitching this offseason, then next year theyll have a better idea where more of their hitting prospects are at and then next offseason they can focus on some pitching and more hitting...

Next season we will probably see Davis, C.Morel, Amaya, Rivas and some others get a good look at the MLB level at some point during the season

There are way too many options of guys they can either sign or trade for to improve their offense. But IMO they need at least 2 new starters and probably 3. And this off season they should be able to spend $100M to improve they team. Maybe even $120M. They would still be under the LT. Whatever they spend I would like to see a 50/50 split between pitching and offense.
    If they do not improve the offense then Hoyer isnít trying to win in 2022.

I will say I doubt they sign anyone who comes with a QO.

I think they can focus on long-term signings with starting pitching and short-term (1-3 years) for position guys.

For SP i would focus on signing the best arms/talent rather than who had the best ERA/FIP in 2021. They should probably do similar for hitters too, 2021 stats aren't the most important thing. Look at talent and age, look at the past 3 or so years of stats and then project what they're most likely to do going forward. ie: Robbie Ray has a career ERA of 4.00, he has a great slider and control problems, but he didn't walk many guys this season for the first season in his career and we can't expect that to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    There are way too many options of guys they can either sign or trade for to improve their offense. But IMO they need at least 2 new starters and probably 3. And this off season they should be able to spend $100M to improve they team. Maybe even $120M. They would still be under the LT. Whatever they spend I would like to see a 50/50 split between pitching and offense.
    If they do not improve the offense then Hoyer isnít trying to win in 2022.

I will say I doubt they sign anyone who comes with a QO.
    I hear ya but i just dont think hoyer gonna pull the trigger too much on everyday starters..

Contreras Schwindel Madrigal Hoerner Wisdom Happ Heyward Ortega are all most likely returning.
    So, sure they can upgrade but i think they stick with Ortega and another cheap OFer as they wait for Davis to come up, i think with all the SS in system they probably go with Hoerner for at least the year..

I dont know i just think 2022 gonna be more of a bridge year for position players to see what they have with upcoming prospects and they will spend majority of money ghis offseason on pitching

All depends on who he decides to hire as GM. If he has someone in his ear like a guy from an organization like the Rays, which is probably the smartest and most forward thinking organization in the game, then I can see a lot of changes being made.

I hear ya but i just dont think hoyer gonna pull the trigger too much on everyday starters..

Contreras Schwindel Madrigal Hoerner Wisdom Happ Heyward Ortega are all most likely returning.
    So, sure they can upgrade but i think they stick with Ortega and another cheap OFer as they wait for Davis to come up, i think with all the SS in system they probably go with Hoerner for at least the year..

I dont know i just think 2022 gonna be more of a bridge year for position players to see what they have with upcoming prospects and they will spend majority of money ghis offseason on pitching

So basically you are saying they are going to spend on pitching and then waste the first year of those pitchers free agency. The players you mention for the teams offense should not stop them from adding hitting. At best you have 5 starters and a platoon. Heyward should be cut. Nico can start but play all over. A guy like Ortega or Wisdom should be platoon players. Even if Davis comes up eventually there are 2 and probably 3 players they can sign to upgrade the offense. Unless they are tanking 2022 there is no reason not to add offense. And if they are tanking there is no reason to spend big on pitching and waste a year. To me, your half in plan is the worst possible outcome for the off season. Now, that said, that could be what they end up doing. I just hate that plan and see no value or reason for it.

Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast