Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 154 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Stuff-wise, Corbin is the Cubs type.
    Personally, want little to nothing to do with him.
    Can’t imagine another major league front office wanting Jason Heyward on the roster for any amount of money.
    Trading Heyward would purely be an accounting move. Nobody “wants” him on their team, but a handful of teams have other players they don’t want on their rosters either.

I think it’s more likely than not that the Cubs are stuck with him unless they eat the cash, but I think it’s possible they find an accounting trade that makes sense now that he’s down to 2 years left on his deal.

Maybe they can help a team stay under the tax in 2022 in exchange for that team taking on Heywards 2023 money. I wouldn’t bet on it, but once you get down to the last 2 years it starts to become a little more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Trading Heyward would purely be an accounting move. Nobody “wants” him on their team, but a handful of teams have other players they don’t want on their rosters either.

I think it’s more likely than not that the Cubs are stuck with him unless they eat the cash, but I think it’s possible they find an accounting trade that makes sense now that he’s down to 2 years left on his deal.

Maybe they can help a team stay under the tax in 2022 in exchange for that team taking on Heywards 2023 money. I wouldn’t bet on it, but once you get down to the last 2 years it starts to become a little more realistic.
    I can't see Heyward being worth much of anything. We'd have to eat virtually all of it or take on the equivalent of all of it from another bad deal.

The unfortunate reality is Heyward is a 10/5 guy. He isn’t going anywhere. He is probably at a point where he would rather Just collect his money and not “work for it”.
    He can just force them to release him and then he can go do whatever he wants

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I can't see Heyward being worth much of anything. We'd have to eat virtually all of it or take on the equivalent of all of it from another bad deal.
    Of course he’s not worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    I’ll buy you a dinner of your choosing if this happens.
    [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Of course he’s not worth anything.
    Nice guy though. Beta-male pwnage.

I feel like we talk about this every off-season and every off-season it's the same. Y'all just need to come to grips that Heyward is going to remain a Cub through the completion of his contract.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Maria SakkariAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I feel like we talk about this every off-season and every off-season it's the same. Y'all just need to come to grips that Heyward is going to remain a Cub through the completion of his contract.
    Yep. The Cubs had a legitimate window to trade him from 2019 to the 2020 trade deadline. His full NTC ended in 2018 and his 10/5 rights kicked in after the 2020 season. He was still pushing a 2 WAR player in 2018 so if they really wanted to get out from a good chunk of his contract then they probably could have found a buyer if they ate 50-60% of his remaining deal. Instead, they apparently tried to latch him to Kris Bryant when they were discussing a deal for Arenado.

At this point, talking about trading Heyward is just wasting time and energy. He's not getting traded. He decides his fate, unless that fate is getting released. And you have to wonder why not just release him after you sold the roster and are entering a rebuilding phase. It's worth swallowing pride just to open up his spot on the roster, he's getting his money either way.

This is the first real year the Cubs can move on from Heyward. It's the first time his production has been so bad he's not worth rostering while also being at a point in his contract where we can move him. They won't be able to trade him. It probably makes sense to release him and eat the money now. He might return simply because the Cubs have so many other roster spots to fill that they just shrug and say "whatever, he can be a bench bat" and go from there; but we are past the point of him being an Opening Day starter or a strong side platoon player.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    This is the first real year the Cubs can move on from Heyward. It's the first time his production has been so bad he's not worth rostering while also being at a point in his contract where we can move him. They won't be able to trade him. It probably makes sense to release him and eat the money now. He might return simply because the Cubs have so many other roster spots to fill that they just shrug and say "whatever, he can be a bench bat" and go from there; but we are past the point of him being an Opening Day starter or a strong side platoon player.
    I'm in on him getting a shot on the roster simply because he can still hit the ball 110+ mph. If you're paying him anyway, might as well see if he's open to some tweaks because the physical ability still seems to be there. Not really the time to be patient with him and give him most of the season to figure it out, but having him on the team during the first half of the year seems worthwhile to me.

Get ready to hear “strong clubhouse presence” “leadership” and all the other unprovables.
    He ain’t going anywhere.

According to Sharma, Hottovy, Andy Green, and Chris Valaika are all expected to return to the coaching staff. Valaika looks like he'll stay in his role as assistant hitting coach, but he may get consideration for the main job.

As much as I would like them to just released Heyward I think he will be the starting RF against righties early on next year . They just have so many roster spots to take care of and with Davis probably coming up in June or so , he can take over for whoever is sucking the most between Heyward and Ortega .

Even if they decided to move on it’s not like they are loaded with internal options to replace him and if they bring in a 1 year guy it will probably come with questions marks as well . Sadly I think the starting OF will be Happ / Ortega / Heyward .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Get ready to hear “strong clubhouse presence” “leadership” and all the other unprovables.
    He ain’t going anywhere.
    Meh. There are tangible skills still there between the defense and the high-end exit velocities, and his three previous seasons all saw him be at least an average hitter. I get that people are sick of the idea of Heyward amounting to anything, especially after a trainwreck of a season this year, but this is money already committed with a lot of holes to fill. If he's bought in on Stone and the new hitting infrastructure, I think there's a shot he's useful and putting up 1.5 WAR or something in a timeshare in right.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Yes, but its nowhere near gold glove caliber any more. It hasnt been gold glove caliber in 4 years.

Since 2018 he has logged 2657.2 innings in RF and has a 19 DRS in that span. In that same period Cody Belinger has 963.1 innings in RF with 17 DRS. The MLB leader in that span is Mookie Betts with 51 DRS, tied with Aaron Judge who has just about identical innings to Heyward, but Judge is in the AL and Betts has a better overall defensive grade.
    Aaron Judge will be a FA next winter. I wouldn't mind signing him to an expensive 8-year as our RF where upon he quickly regresses and underachieves in his entire tenure with he Cubs, and then since RF is blocked we trade Owen Cassie for an established quality starting pitcher who also underachieves. and Cassie goes on to MLB hitting success.

Page 2 of 154 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast