Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 166 1231151101 ... LastLast

2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

Working a double so Iíll fix it up tomorrow morning with a proper first post.

Discuss all upcoming possible FA and Trade news for the off-season in here. Thanks.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

I know the reasons why he probably wont but i want to go on record here and say that Jason Heyward will be traded and agree to it..
    That all.. [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I know the reasons why he probably wont but i want to go on record here and say that Jason Heyward will be traded and agree to it..
    That all.. [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Iíll buy you a dinner of your choosing if this happens.

2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Iíll buy you a dinner of your choosing if this happens.
    I wouldnít bet on it, but I think there is a decent chance that Heyward is not a Cub in 2022. To make up a number Iíd say itís about a 25% chance that they find a way to move on from him this offseason.

Payroll is so low, they could just eat the money this winter. Maybe they can dump him in a bad salary swap. I think heíd probably accept almost any trade at this point.

Regardless of if he is gone or not, he should not be an Opening Day starter.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-05-2021 at 04:50 PM.

I think Heyward plays out this next year in a platoon role and if he sucks they probably will release and eat his last year. Definitely think he makes the opening day team.

There are a few trades they could make to get rid of Heyward, but none of them are good. One would be to the Yankees for Hicks. They are owed about the same money, Hicks is just spread out over four years. Another would be a trade to the Mets for Cano.

Cano is owed a few million more, but I would rather have him over Heyward. And if he gets banned again, he is done. Another would be to Washington for Corbin. Corbin has been bad and has two years left with about the same money. Doubtful he bounces back, but it could happen.

I would rather take a chance on a starter then a position player. I don't see any of these happening, but there are options. No matter what they do, they are taking a bad contract back. They aren't going to eat the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    There are a few trades they could make to get rid of Heyward, but none of them are good. One would be to the Yankees for Hicks. They are owed about the same money, Hicks is just spread out over four years. Another would be a trade to the Mets for Cano.

Cano is owed a few million more, but I would rather have him over Heyward. And if he gets banned again, he is done. Another would be to Washington for Corbin. Corbin has been bad and has two years left with about the same money. Doubtful he bounces back, but it could happen.

I would rather take a chance on a starter then a position player. I don't see any of these happening, but there are options. No matter what they do, they are taking a bad contract back. They aren't going to eat the last two years.
    The Corbin swap is really interesting to me. Their could be something there maybe a small mechanics tweak idk. I mean he's only two years removed from being a good pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    I think Heyward plays out this next year in a platoon role and if he sucks they probably will release and eat his last year. Definitely think he makes the opening day team.
    I dunno, he seems pretty washed up. He's 32 y/o. I don't think he can even platoon anymore effectively. He probably shouldn't be on the roster next year, it's a waste of a spot.

I'd do a bad player swap or release him.

Stuff-wise, Corbin is the Cubs type.
    Personally, want little to nothing to do with him.
    Canít imagine another major league front office wanting Jason Heyward on the roster for any amount of money.
    Last edited by Cubboy; 10-05-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Just gonna point out that Heyward had the hardest hit ball of his career this year and had a couple of injuries. I think that's enough to keep him a Cub through, like, May. Don't think it's particularly crazy if he returns to a 100 wRC+ guy either given that info.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Just gonna point out that Heyward had the hardest hit ball of his career this year and had a couple of injuries. I think that's enough to keep him a Cub through, like, May. Don't think it's particularly crazy if he returns to a 100 wRC+ guy either given that info.
    Maybe if he changes his launch angle from "straight into the dirt" back to "line-drive". It's quite possible Jason just hated dirt a lot this season and wanted to punish it by hitting it with baseballs.

If he comes back on the bench i'm fine with it. Not really keen on selling guys at their all-time lows. If he still blows by June cut him.

Or cut him now, whatever. He still kinda sucks no matter what.

There is no getting rid of Heyward. Heyward can veto any trade. He's not going to ok a move to a team that is as worthless as the Cubs and any team that is hoping to compete isn't going to be looking for Jason Heyward to eat up a roster spot.

He either plays out his contract or he gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I wouldnít bet on it, but I think there is a decent chance that Heyward is not a Cub in 2022. To make up a number Iíd say itís about a 25% chance that they find a way to move on from him this offseason.

Payroll is so low, they could just eat the money this winter. Maybe they can dump him in a bad salary swap. I think heíd probably accept almost any trade at this point.

Regardless of if he is gone or not, he should not be an Opening Day starter.
    Iíd be all for just eating the contract at this point. I like what I know about him as a human being, but he makes watching the games that much worse right now.

I canít see anyone even taking him on, even if he were free. What does he even provide anymore. Honest question, is his defense even above average anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Honest question, is his defense even above average anymore?
    Yes, but its nowhere near gold glove caliber any more. It hasnt been gold glove caliber in 4 years.

Since 2018 he has logged 2657.2 innings in RF and has a 19 DRS in that span. In that same period Cody Belinger has 963.1 innings in RF with 17 DRS. The MLB leader in that span is Mookie Betts with 51 DRS, tied with Aaron Judge who has just about identical innings to Heyward, but Judge is in the AL and Betts has a better overall defensive grade.
    Last edited by cuzi; 10-05-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Damn, I didnt realize Wisdom was worth 2.4 fWAR this year. Thought it was closer to 1.5.

Regardless, shouldn't be guaranteeing him a starting spot at all this year but I think there is still a valuable bench bat career there for him.

Page 1 of 166 1231151101 ... LastLast