Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 78 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 3084
  1. #1156
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,184
    https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...M0Se5Gcog&s=19

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  2. #1157
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Do you really think they start the season with the same bums they ended the season with? I can't imagine them doing that. Fans would revolt, and the place would be 40% empty. That's not what they want. I'm sure that winning isn't the most important thing to Ricketts, but not doing anything and driving fans away will cost them millions of dollars. And THAT'S what drives this owner, and every owner in every sport. They would be taking money out of their pockets if they don't spend to win.

    The bar has been reset to a point that the fans will not go to watch a bunch of bench players marched out there masquerading as major league starters.
    Outside the 3 or 4 i mentioned, yes i do...

    Let be real, Contreras Schwindel Madrigal Hoerner Happ and Heyward are sticking, and at the very least Wisdom and Ortega will stick on the bench or Wisdom will DH.

    Hendricks Miley Steele are probably set for the rotation, id say 60/40 Alzolay remains in rotation, but there a very good chance Mills will be replaced. So, we're looking at Mills and maybe Alzolay replaced in rotation.

    So unless they shock us all and actually go out and bring in upgrades to the bulk of these players on 3+ year deals, i see them sticking with the majority over bringing in someone that could be a little better on a 1 or 2 year deal just to try and be a little bit more competitive.

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  3. #1158
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    13,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    My concern with going internally for the 5th spot is that they would be one injury away from having 2 of the Alzolay / Steele / Thompson / Mills / Abbott group in the rotation at the same time . If they want to compete that can’t happen IMO.

    Between Stroman and Gray I like Stroman better , but I am not convinced Stroman will get 5 years only with the teams that are involved . I just don’t see the Cubs willing to go to those levels at this time .

    I think they will push hard for Gray at 4 /56 instead of Stroman at 6 / 125 , and trade for another arm at the least . After that not sure . I would like another add from outside the organization but they could very well go internally .


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    That’s possible, but I’d still take Stroman at 6/125 or Gausman at 5/110 over Gray at 4/56.

    It would be great if they’d add 4 starters, but I think it’s probably unrealistic. Leaving 1 spot for Alzolay, Steele, Mills, Thompson, Kilian, Marquez to share is alright. There will be injuries and times when more than 1 from that group are in the rotation. It’s just hard to fix every problem in one offseason.

  4. #1159
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    13,695

    2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

    I think at a minimum they still add 2 more starting pitchers. I think they’ll add someone who can be a regular starter at SS. They’ll add someone who can be a 100+ game starter in the outfield. They should try to upgrade 3b, but I’m not sure they will. With the DH they should be adding at least 1 bat beyond the SS and OF addition I expect. There’s probably a 50/50 shot they trade Contreras, so they’ll need to figure out catcher if that happens. They’ll add someone with a guaranteed role in the bullpen, but not a high cost player.

    There are still a bunch of changes coming.

  5. #1160
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    15,403
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Outside the 3 or 4 i mentioned, yes i do...

    Let be real, Contreras Schwindel Madrigal Hoerner Happ and Heyward are sticking, and at the very least Wisdom and Ortega will stick on the bench or Wisdom will DH.

    Hendricks Miley Steele are probably set for the rotation, id say 60/40 Alzolay remains in rotation, but there a very good chance Mills will be replaced. So, we're looking at Mills and maybe Alzolay replaced in rotation.

    So unless they shock us all and actually go out and bring in upgrades to the bulk of these players on 3+ year deals, i see them sticking with the majority over bringing in someone that could be a little better on a 1 or 2 year deal just to try and be a little bit more competitive.

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Your post are so damn frustrating. While most post what they should do and how they can actually be good this year if they did what they said they would do….. spend money. You continually provide them cover by suggesting they shouldn’t do that and won’t do that because they can’t compete anyway. You may very well be right and they might go with that god awful team you are suggesting. But if they do, it is an insult to the fan base and TR acting like a small market team. It absolutely should not be accepted or even suggested that they do that. I am fine with either Steele or Alzolay or a combination of each of then taking the 5th spot in the rotation. I am not satisfied with each of them in the rotation and possible Mills too. I am also not so sure Heyward will be a regular or even on the team next year. The idea of them having $130M or less payroll should disgust you. It does me and most here. And yet you continue to post things not only suggesting that is what they will do, but even defending the thought process. In the end, you might be right. But NO ONE should be accepting of it or happy about it.
    Last edited by rcal10; 11-26-2021 at 05:03 PM.

  6. #1161
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    15,403
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I think at a minimum they still add 2 more starting pitchers. I think they’ll add someone who can be a regular starter at SS. They’ll add someone who can be a 100+ game starter in the outfield. They should try to upgrade 3b, but I’m not sure they will. With the DH they should be adding at least 1 bat beyond the SS and OF addition I expect. There’s probably a 50/50 shot they trade Contreras, so they’ll need to figure out catcher if that happens. They’ll add someone with a guaranteed role in the bullpen, but not a high cost player.

    There are still a bunch of changes coming.
    This is pretty much exactly what I expect. SS, outfielder someone who can play 3rd (even if on a platoon) 2 staring pitchers and a pen arm. They can get all of that with free agents or trades and still be around $185M to a high end of $200M. Which is a minimum of where this team should always be.

  7. #1162
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    15,403
    I am not good with surplus value and how to determine worth in a trade, so can someone help me on this scenario.

    Cubs trade Contreras to the Padres for Darvish, Caratini and Myers. Padres save a lot of money and then can look into adding players. Plus they get Contreras. Cubs get salary, but get a pitcher back who was very good for them in 2020 and was solid until the break last year. Not sure what happened after that. But he would be in the rotation. Cubs would get a platoon catcher back and they would get an outfield bat.
    Who has to add to this deal? I thought of adding Heyward and hosmer too, but that gets even crazier. And hosmer being paid until 2025 is a nightmare.

    Maybe something can be done around Snell and Contreras as well if the cubs took on salary(Myers would be preferred over Hosmer). Who would have to add to this one?

    Just tossing a few Padres ideas out there with a thought of dealing WC without tanking in 22’.

  8. #1163
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Your post are so damn frustrating. While most post what they should do and how they can actually be good this year if they did what they said they would do….. spend money. You continually provide them cover by suggesting they shouldn’t do that and won’t do that because they can’t compete anyway. You may very well be right and they might go with that god awful team you are suggesting. But if they do, it is an insult to the fan base and TR acting like a small market team. It absolutely should not be accepted or even suggested that they do that. I am fine with either Steele or Alzolay or a combination of each of then taking the 5th spot in the rotation. I am not satisfied with each of them in the rotation and possible Mills too. I am also not so sure Heyward will be a regular or even on the team next year. The idea of them having $130M or less payroll should disgust you. It does me and most here. And yet you continue to post things not only suggesting that is what they will do, but even defending the thought process. In the end, you might be right. But NO ONE should be accepting of it or happy about it.
    We all know what they could and should do, like i said we can spend all day giving suggestions and our hopes of moves we would like to see them make to improve...

    Heck i do hope they turnover this crappy roster and spend every penny they have to make it a winning one..

    Not that i accept it, im just looking at the reality of what i see happening over hoping and thinking that theyll do something we all want to see.

    Why should i set myself up for disappointment and suggest they should sign this guy and that guy or trade for whomever when it more likely not gonna happen or a very small chance to happen.

    Id love to see them get Seager Correa Gausman or Stroman but i just dont think that the route theyre going this offseason.

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  9. #1164
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    This is pretty much exactly what I expect. SS, outfielder someone who can play 3rd (even if on a platoon) 2 staring pitchers and a pen arm. They can get all of that with free agents or trades and still be around $185M to a high end of $200M. Which is a minimum of where this team should always be.
    That pretty much what i said [emoji2369]

    Middle infielder, 2 outfielders, 1 or 2 SP

    possibly a 3Bmen if the DH comes and Wisdom could DH

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  10. #1165
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21,136
    It's a strange feeling looking over the list of free agents and seeing Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, and Schwarber's names.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

    Angelique KerberSaul "Canelo" Álvarez

  11. #1166
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    13,695
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    We all know what they could and should do, like i said we can spend all day giving suggestions and our hopes of moves we would like to see them make to improve...

    Heck i do hope they turnover this crappy roster and spend every penny they have to make it a winning one..

    Not that i accept it, im just looking at the reality of what i see happening over hoping and thinking that theyll do something we all want to see.

    Why should i set myself up for disappointment and suggest they should sign this guy and that guy or trade for whomever when it more likely not gonna happen or a very small chance to happen.

    Id love to see them get Seager Correa Gausman or Stroman but i just dont think that the route theyre going this offseason.

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    I mean it’s more interesting to discuss ideas than it is to spend the whole day saying they aren’t getting anyone good over and over, right?

  12. #1167
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    15,403
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    That pretty much what i said [emoji2369]

    Middle infielder, 2 outfielders, 1 or 2 SP

    possibly a 3Bmen if the DH comes and Wisdom could DH

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    The payroll I am suggesting is nowhere near what you have ever talked about. Yiu jave Wissom, Ortega and Heyward in the everyday line up and Alzolay, Mills and Steele in the rotation. And then suggest maybe a few moves. That is not even close to what.CP said and I agreed with. Most often you are suggesting bargain shopping because the team is only a 60 win team anyway. If they did what I would like to see then would adding (at a minimum) one of the high end SS, either Schwarber or Marte and then someone like Escobar. Then sign Gray, Stroman and someone like Chafin. They can substitute one of those pitchers with a trade for someone like Montes, Manaea, someone in the Clev. rotation, Snell, etc,,,,) or substitute an outfielder and Escobar being signed as free agents with trading for Donaldson and Buxton.
    Not once have you ever suggested this sort of off swap. Or even acknowledged something like this would make them competitive. Instead you suggest they won’t do this so just accept it. Why get yiu hopes up. To me that is settling and making it appear yiu are fine with this. And maybe you are. Maybe you believe the BS that they are waiting to spend and will do so once the young guys are ready. Unfortunately that day hardly ever comes.

  13. #1168
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Thoughts on a Starlin Reunion?
    Zero interest, as he’s likely never to play in MLB again after multiple domestic violence incidents

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  14. #1169
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    It's a strange feeling looking over the list of free agents and seeing Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, and Schwarber's names.
    It’s more strange seeing they’re FAs with different teams as “last played with” than seeing the Cubs as that team listed.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  15. #1170
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I mean it’s more interesting to discuss ideas than it is to spend the whole day saying they aren’t getting anyone good over and over, right?
    Someone asked me my thoughts and i gave it.
    Also
    I never said they weren't getting anyone good, i just said i dont expect them to go after the big FA or replace more then a couple of their regulars and SP.




    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •