Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Curious what Gleyber Torres would cost. His time in NY seems to be coming to a close if the Yankees are serious about adding a SS with Voit and DJ in tow. I would be very interested in adding him to the 3B / SS rotation at a small price. His xWOBA numbers have been remarkably consistent and I see no reason why he couldn't put up a 110 wrc+ next year. He will also be pretty cheap dollar-wise, allowing for more investment into the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by cubs1423 View Post
    Curious what Gleyber Torres would cost. His time in NY seems to be coming to a close if the Yankees are serious about adding a SS with Voit and DJ in tow. I would be very interested in adding him to the 3B / SS rotation at a small price. His xWOBA numbers have been remarkably consistent and I see no reason why he couldn't put up a 110 wrc+ next year. He will also be pretty cheap dollar-wise, allowing for more investment into the rotation.
    He really hasnít been good for a few years now. I guess if the trade loss was low he would be someone to check into. But I wouldnít give much for him. I think if he was a Cub those years most would not want him back in 2022. But maybe he is a buy low candidate.

Wouldnít mind gleybar Torres but is he coming up just bc he was a Cubs system guy or is he really going to be available? He will be 25 heís had a bad last 169 games but the two years before that he was very good. Heís not good defensively so his value is going to come from the bat.

2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Wouldnít mind gleybar Torres but is he coming up just bc he was a Cubs system guy or is he really going to be available? He will be 25 heís had a bad last 169 games but the two years before that he was very good. Heís not good defensively so his value is going to come from the bat.
    Torres should be available this winter . Yanks want a real SS and DJ isnít really a 3B . I think he will be on the move . I would want no part of him as a SS but considering the lack of options at 3B in FA , I would take a chance on Torres as a 3B . I just donít think Wisdom is a starter . The trade cost would have to be pretty low however .

If they go to FA for a 3B i take Escobar i guess . With that said it would have to be on a 1 year deal .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    Torres should be available this winter . Yanks want a real SS and DJ isnít really a 3B . I think he will be on the move . I would want no part of him as a SS but considering the lack of options at 3B in FA , I would take a chance on Torres as a 3B . I just donít think Wisdom is a starter . The trade cost would have to be pretty low however .

If they go to FA for a 3B i take Escobar i guess . With that said it would have to be on a 1 year deal .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    I would do 2 for Escobar. Or one and an option. But nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    So I am curious. Does anyone think the Cubs can compete next year without spending more than $15 to &16M on any one or two players. Maybe sign 7 or 8 guys between $10M and $16M and spend on more than $90M to $110M total. So for pitchers we would be talking Matz, Pineda, R. Hill, Woods etc. (Maybe Rodriguez as the high end guy at that $16M figure but for 4 years). As for hitters we might be talking Marte on the high end. Maybe Conforto if he is not given a QO. Maybe gets you Escobar, Marte, Canhu, Rosario, Joc, C. Taylor. Then fill the pen with guys like Tepera, Chafin, maybe Hand. Not all of these guys, obviously. Just giving some examples of guys who might be least that $16M annually.
    Some might cost more, but there are also others I either forgot about or might be made available when a team chooses to release him rather than offer arbitration.
    That sounds like a mediocre team.

We need some good players and it will cost some money to get them. We don't have much surplus value with good young rookies as we will have in a few years so for the next couple of years at least we'll need to spend our way to wins. There's not much way around that. If Ricketts decides to go cheap in payroll he'll probably get what he pays for.

Some of those guys you named are decent.
    Last edited by Stratos; Today at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    The Cubs would have to hit on so many additions and hope the success the couple of aging rookies had wasn't just a flash in the pan that its highly improbable they compete next year.

This offseason is all about foundation building.
    It's very possible they can compete next year. I think this offseason is partly foundation building, especially starting pitching, but with position players mostly stopgap guys for the next 2-3 years. Our position player foundation is in the minor leagues next year.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I think you think this way because that is how baseball was played when you and I were growing up. The cubs of our day put the same 8 guys out there day after day, including the catcher. However in 1969 they finished 9-18 to end the season and a total collapse to lose a division that they lead most of the season.

I agree they shouldnít sign strictly a bench bat. I would like to see a guy like Escobar or Taylor. For a big name, Bryant. Guys like that who can play multiple positions. Guys where you can still get Ortega, Wisdom, Schwindel, maybe Hermosillo or maybe someone else who is surprising them into the line up if they are performing while still having a spot for the FA they signed. I think the day of 155 starts fir all guys might be gone. Maybe a guy in the tram starts 155 games, but not 7. I think the ďevery dayĒ starter is now a guy who starts 140 games. On this team I see Schwindel, Happ, Contreras, Hoerner, Madrigal as guys who will start 140 games(and that is if things go well). Like to see 3 more bats brought in who also start that many games. Then that last spot gets filled by guys like Ortega, Wisdom, etc. who doesnít play is the bench. Release Heyward and deal Bote for anything. He is cheap, someone will take him fir a non prospect.
    You are exactly right about the 7 regulars. It's just what I like. I'm not opposed to a platoon system at some spots, but you know the old saying. If you have two players at a position, you don't have one good enough to be that guy. I'd still prefer the one standout player at each position.

Honestly...I would hate to see all those guys you mentioned as every day players. I'd prefer most of them on the bench, or maybe a platoon situation if we don't have a guy good enough to play every day.

Bote is a bum. However, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the PH GS against the Nationals in the bottom of the 9th. That is one of my favorite memories in a long time. Do you really think they would just release JHey?

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617