Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 495
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10,334
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I agree with you that they should not rule out QO guys even if the CBA doesnít change the comp structure. I just think they will rule out those guys.

    I get why they would be reluctant. A high 2nd round pick is valuable. Three of the best prospects in the Cubs system right now were 2nd round picks (Davis, Triantos, Caissie). Impactful mlb players are valuable too. I would prefer that they bring in the best FAís they can, but I donít expect them to sign players that cost them a draft pick.

    Hopefully that rule will change in the new CBA and trading of picks will also be allowed so they can both sign impactful free agents and add draft capital via trade instead of losing draft picks.
    If they do rule out QO guys, I think it's more of an excuse than it is a reason not to spend money. Who knows what their plans actually are. I think they under estimate the intelligence level of true Cubs fans. They can hood wink the casual fan, or band wagon fan all day though.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    15,014
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If they do rule out QO guys, I think it's more of an excuse than it is a reason not to spend money. Who knows what their plans actually are. I think they under estimate the intelligence level of true Cubs fans. They can hood wink the casual fan, or band wagon fan all day though.
    I disagree. I believe that could be a reason for not going after fringe QO guys like maybe Conforto, Ray, C Taylor, Syndergaard, Gray and a few others who might get a QO. There are plenty of guys similar to those guys they can get without losing a draft pick.

    However for guys like Correa, Seager, Story etc I might agree with you that them having a QO should not be a reason to not pursue them.

    Remember if the rules stay the same they not only lose the pick, they lose the money that comes with that pick. It hinders there chance at over slotting a guy later in the draft.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    He seems good. They all seemed good. Jed is really the GM anyway. The titles have changes, so the GM today was the assistant GM 10 years ago. The GM 10 years ago is the President today.
    The Rays really had ridiculous success in the minors this year, so I wonder if they just missed a big opportunity by not hiring Rodriguez, who is their VP of Player Development. But Hawkins did a ton of PD work in Cleveland as they were establishing that pitching pipeline. Had some good success hitting-wise despite the youngest group of hitters overall in minor league baseball too. Think this is a step forward, at least. Given the emphasis Jed put on player development in this hiring process, I would have to imagine that Hawkins will have a lot of say in how that part of the organization is structured. I'm also super interested in Cleveland's 40-man crunch, which Hawkins should have a lot of insight on. I *really* want Steven Kwan.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10,334
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I disagree. I believe that could be a reason for not going after fringe QO guys like maybe Conforto, Ray, C Taylor, Syndergaard, Gray and a few others who might get a QO. There are plenty of guys similar to those guys they can get without losing a draft pick.

    However for guys like Correa, Seager, Story etc I might agree with you that them having a QO should not be a reason to not pursue them.

    Remember if the rules stay the same they not only lose the pick, they lose the money that comes with that pick. It hinders there chance at over slotting a guy later in the draft.
    I can't imagine a team with this much money not being in on the Correa's, Seager's, Story's, etc of the world because of their QO. The QO shouldn't be an issue at all. Yes they lose the pick, which will probably be a nothing pick anyway. At least compared to the reward of a superstar. I'm not really concerned about the draft money either. How many times to prospects fizzle out, or just fail? It's an extremely high rate. Give me the player instead of the draft pick.

    Good to see you back in action
    Last edited by thawv; 10-13-2021 at 10:24 PM.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I can't imagine a team with this much money not being in on the Correa's, Seager's, Story's, etc of the world because of their QO. The QO shouldn't be an issue at all. Yes they lose the pick, which will probably be a nothing pick anyway. At least compared to the reward of a superstar. I'm not really concerned about the draft money either. How many times to prospects fizzle out, or just fail? It's an extremely high rate. Give me the player instead of the draft pick.

    Good to see you back in action
    I think the thing with those guys is that you're inevitably going to have to give them really long deals, and longer deals carry more risk. So, in order to make the most of the contract, you're going to have to heavily invest in the first year, which means getting *other* likely expensive players on the free agent market or via trade. It's a needle that I suppose you can thread, but most routes to that are going to involve sacrificing even more bonus pool at a time when you have a big opportunity to spend a lot in the draft under the current rules and also locking in players that are close to past peak on sizable money for a few years. When you have a lot of holes, it can be a really tall task in terms of sacrificing the future.

    Not that I'd hate it if they tried it out, but it is an approach that likely carries a lot of risk from a roster construction standpoint, so I get it.
    Last edited by NoChiInChamp; 10-13-2021 at 10:32 PM.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If they do rule out QO guys, I think it's more of an excuse than it is a reason not to spend money. Who knows what their plans actually are. I think they under estimate the intelligence level of true Cubs fans. They can hood wink the casual fan, or band wagon fan all day though.
    I assume that because they have the 7th pick it will influence how they go after QO guys. I assume if they had the 20th pick they wouldn't care quite as much. Rare opportunity for the Cubs to get some high picks.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I assume that because they have the 7th pick it will influence how they go after QO guys. I assume if they had the 20th pick they wouldn't care quite as much. Rare opportunity for the Cubs to get some high picks.
    If they have their full bonus pool and we don't have hard slotting, they could very reasonably get a top three prospect in the draft at that spot depending on the guy's bonus ask and other teams looking to cut deals.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    6,387
    Carter Hawkins, what's are the thoughts on him? I like what I've read about him.
    Screw sabermetics.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    25,433

    2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...u1lg6KlqaOay7s

    Probably a fluff piece by Wittenmeyer, but Correa talks about possibly playing his future in Chicago.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  10. #145
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    58,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Carter Hawkins, what's are the thoughts on him? I like what I've read about him.
    He comes from a good player development background which was clearly a focus in the search. The "GM" position has shifted league wide and no longer is the traditional view. Hoyer is the President of Baseball Ops and this is what the GM used to do. Hawkins will be 2nd. It's a good spot for him to learn behind an experienced guy like Hoyer (experienced in that Hoyer has been in that spot for a while; the "GM").

    He, or any of the finalists are fine picks. He will add to the good work done by Breslow, and Kantrovitz on that end. He's a Vandy guy so maybe we can bolster that relationship. If Hoyer picked him over the other 3, there's some reason. Belief they get along, have similar ideas, challenge each other...not sure. But probably worth deferring to Hoyer over whatever reason set him apart from 3 other guys with similarly good dev backgrounds.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 10-14-2021 at 04:03 AM.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    6,387
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    He comes from a good player development background which was clearly a focus in the search. The "GM" position has shifted league wide and no longer is the traditional view. Hoyer is the President of Baseball Ops and this is what the GM used to do. Hawkins will be 2nd. It's a good spot for him to learn behind an experienced guy like Hoyer (experienced in that Hoyer has been in that spot for a while; the "GM").

    He, or any of the finalists are fine picks. He will add to the good work done by Breslow, and Kantrovitz on that end. He's a Vandy guy so maybe we can bolster that relationship. If Hoyer picked him over the other 3, there's some reason. Belief they get along, have similar ideas, challenge each other...not sure. But probably worth deferring to Hoyer over whatever reason set him apart from 3 other guys with similarly good dev backgrounds.
    TY.

    May not be the exciting pick, but I feel solid about the choice.
    Screw sabermetics.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...u1lg6KlqaOay7s

    Probably a fluff piece by Wittenmeyer, but Correa talks about possibly playing his future in Chicago.
    Correa isnít stupid. Saying all the right things . Wittmeyer is a douche canoe but heís the only Chicago media guy Iíve seen openly calling out the cubs on a potential cheapness filled off-season. Honestly Correa is the perfect piece for the cubs to re-establish a winning core.

    Sign him and trade for Donaldson and that immediately puts thump in the lineup plus in a couple years when JD is gone Correa can move to third for whatever spec (Christian) comes up to play SS.
    Last edited by huff; 10-14-2021 at 09:51 AM.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    15,014
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I can't imagine a team with this much money not being in on the Correa's, Seager's, Story's, etc of the world because of their QO. The QO shouldn't be an issue at all. Yes they lose the pick, which will probably be a nothing pick anyway. At least compared to the reward of a superstar. I'm not really concerned about the draft money either. How many times to prospects fizzle out, or just fail? It's an extremely high rate. Give me the player instead of the draft pick.

    Good to see you back in action
    Good to be back thawv. And I agree with you that for guys like Seager, Correa, etcÖ they shouldnít worry about a QO. But if someone like Conforto or Gray comes with a QO, IMO the Cubs should pass on them and I am fine with them saying it is because of the loss of the draft pick. They can just sign Marte or Schwarber instead of Conforto and a similar pitcher to Gray without a QO. As long as they donít use that excuse to not spend money on someone else I am ok.

    As for the top 5 to 7 guys, I get that they should be in on them no matter if they lose a pick or not. I also doubt the pick will stop them from trying for those guys. I also doubt they end up the highest bidder. I donít see ownership spending that kind of money on one player.

    But I bet if they did somehow get one of those guys many of the people suggesting they should go get a star will be complaining about the contract, you included. I have seen some of your projections on what you would pay people. IMO it is always much lower than it will take.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    He comes from a good player development background which was clearly a focus in the search. The "GM" position has shifted league wide and no longer is the traditional view. Hoyer is the President of Baseball Ops and this is what the GM used to do. Hawkins will be 2nd. It's a good spot for him to learn behind an experienced guy like Hoyer (experienced in that Hoyer has been in that spot for a while; the "GM").

    He, or any of the finalists are fine picks. He will add to the good work done by Breslow, and Kantrovitz on that end. He's a Vandy guy so maybe we can bolster that relationship. If Hoyer picked him over the other 3, there's some reason. Belief they get along, have similar ideas, challenge each other...not sure. But probably worth deferring to Hoyer over whatever reason set him apart from 3 other guys with similarly good dev backgrounds.
    The thing that stands out is obviously the fact that Cleveland is in the conversation for best pitching infrastructure in the game, and a lot of that took place with Hawkins having a big say in player development. But I do find it interesting that Cleveland had the youngest group of hitters in minor league baseball (45.7% of their PAs were taken by guys 20 or younger; the second highest was 35.9%, Cubs were fifth at 34.5%), and their group of hitters was still 8th in wRAA per PA (Cubs were 23rd). There are some good hitters' parks in Cleveland's system (although it's a mixed bag overall), and wRAA is not park adjusted, but this is still good to see on that end. On the whole, the Cubs are still catching up to the developments of the most progressive overall organizations over the past five or so years. Cleveland has been one of the teams at the forefront of that in overall operation between player development and acquisitions. I'm excited to see what Hawkins is going to do with the resources the Cubs have relative to Cleveland. And yeah, I get that we're mad about payroll being down, but Cleveland is actually a place where the front office is always handcuffed.

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    25,433

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •