Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 201 of 202 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202 LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 3021
    Some details from yesterday:

Probably safe to assume ST wont start on time in February, i think now it whether or not the season will start on time.

Also, if this does go into late February or March, wonder how much it'll affect FA as we may see players choose to stay with current teams on 1 yr deals mainly because players say they prefer to have their families, and themselves situated before season starts.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

If the players want to get the owners seriously engaged , they need to decide what is the most important thing for them to have . Is it the 245 CBT or the FA after the 5th year ?

Decide , make a proposal next week that includes whatever they decide they want and a 14 team expanded playoffs. Until both sides have the most important thing for them on the table , this isnít going to move forward IMO.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

OT: Atlantic league to shelve robo umps:

I thought this was a huge potential gain for MLB, but now not sure.

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/...239724032?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan08 View Post
    OT: Atlantic league to shelve robo umps:

I thought this was a huge potential gain for MLB, but now not sure.

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/...239724032?s=20
    I don't know it this will be across all of AAA, but robo umps will be used for all games of the west division of AAA in '22.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    I don't know it this will be across all of AAA, but robo umps will be used for all games of the west division of AAA in '22.
    Robo umps are nonsense. They've had umps for 150 years, it's integral to the game. Yelling at an ump for a bad call is baseball. 30 years from now they'll bring back human ball-strike calls because its "retro".

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Robo umps are nonsense. They've had umps for 150 years, it's integral to the game. Yelling at an ump for a bad call is baseball. 30 years from now they'll bring back human ball-strike calls because its "retro".
    "Bad calls" should NOT be baseball, though. The technology is there to correct any and ALL bad calls.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    "Bad calls" should NOT be baseball, though. The technology is there to correct any and ALL bad calls.
    Iím on the side of ďjust because we can doesnít mean we shouldĒ with a lot of technology in sports. Tennis went to electronic line calling within the last two years and use the same irritating ďoutĒ audio recording at every tournament. Itís impossible to ignore even on TV and I often watch the matches at a low volume because of it. So, careful what you wish for.

There is not going to be any waxing poetic about umpires from me. Inconsistent calls, "yelling at umpires" and having umpires kick players out and grandstand themselves is not inherently baseball. It happens tangential to baseball, but it's not important to the game. I care about the players, and the athletes. A robotic umpire changes nothing. It'll be something everyone will get over incredibly quick if the technology works. Obviously that needs to be set in stone, but once that end is, it will be good for the game to have a consistent set of rules across the playing field.

This is a similar, and even worse argument in the same vein as "The DH isn't baseball". Hell, at least that changed the on field game. But we have seen, I think, that the DH did none of that, and being forced to watch pitchers flail around and get hurt just isn't fun to watch. It didn't ruin anything. After one year of not having the DH, I found myself missing it very quickly (and there was a time I'd probably have argued DH baseball wasn't as good. How silly?) Not having umpires in baseball will be a change, it might be a little weird at first, then you'll just forget and it'll be fine. It won't ruin anything. In fact, I doubt there's any real negative outcome (as long, as stated, the tech works as advertised).

Bring on consistent zones, consistent rules, and players not getting kicked out of the game because some umpire felt like he needed attention.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-15-2022 at 10:11 AM.

I think the owners just want to see what the players true offer is. Who cares if the owners thru out a junk offer. Do you guys walk into a car dealership and pay the exact price on the sticker? No you throw some stupid *** low ball offer out there.

Now I will say this process is taking longer than expected. Both sides need to get to work and freaking come to an agreement both sides can be ok with. Lock their *** in a room and donít leave till itís done.

2021-22 Cubs Off-season FA & Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    I think the owners just want to see what the players true offer is. Who cares if the owners thru out a junk offer. Do you guys walk into a car dealership and pay the exact price on the sticker? No you throw some stupid *** low ball offer out there.

Now I will say this process is taking longer than expected. Both sides need to get to work and freaking come to an agreement both sides can be ok with. Lock their *** in a room and donít leave till itís done.
    They are waiting until the 14 team playoffs is on the table for them . When a deal is reached , owners will get expanded playoffs of 14 teams and players will get one of these two IMO.

245 CBT
    FA after the 5th year .

I personally think it will be the higher CBT they will end up getting .

Last edited by Dfan25; 01-15-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Saw yesterday that Ken Hoffman ( former houston chronicle writer ) wrote something about a rumor that the Cubs actually made Correa a 7 year offer for 224 an opt out after two and 74 the first two years ( 37 on AAV )

My guess is that someone took what Levine said and turn it into the Cubs made Correa an offer , but in reality they have not .

https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status...N_dzWHHkg&s=19

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OT: I visit the DR on vacation twice a year (Punta Cana) & man what a baseball factory it has become.
    Kids eat, sleep, & dream baseball from as young as 3-4 years old. Truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    There is not going to be any waxing poetic about umpires from me. Inconsistent calls, "yelling at umpires" and having umpires kick players out and grandstand themselves is not inherently baseball. It happens tangential to baseball, but it's not important to the game. I care about the players, and the athletes. A robotic umpire changes nothing. It'll be something everyone will get over incredibly quick if the technology works. Obviously that needs to be set in stone, but once that end is, it will be good for the game to have a consistent set of rules across the playing field.

This is a similar, and even worse argument in the same vein as "The DH isn't baseball". Hell, at least that changed the on field game. But we have seen, I think, that the DH did none of that, and being forced to watch pitchers flail around and get hurt just isn't fun to watch. It didn't ruin anything. After one year of not having the DH, I found myself missing it very quickly (and there was a time I'd probably have argued DH baseball wasn't as good. How silly?) Not having umpires in baseball will be a change, it might be a little weird at first, then you'll just forget and it'll be fine. It won't ruin anything. In fact, I doubt there's any real negative outcome (as long, as stated, the tech works as advertised).

Bring on consistent zones, consistent rules, and players not getting kicked out of the game because some umpire felt like he needed attention.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    All of this!

I also suspect that there will still be 4 umps on the field at all times. The home plate will still be calling balls and strikes. Except he will be wearing an ear piece that indicates when a pitch is a strike, or a ball. However they want to do it. Each player would have to get their strike zone set to their height and batting stance. So the vertical would be different each time a new hitter steps to the plate.

There is literally nothing negative with getting the calls correct. Nothing at all. So many innings, and even games have been decided by bad balls and strikes calls. Hitting with a 1-2 count, instead of a 2-1 count is incredibly different. Same with 2-2 count instead of a 3-1 count.

Home plate umpires are wrong 14% of the time with their calls. And that includes pitches WAY off the plate, or right down the middle. They are awful, game changing, and need to be relieved of their balls/strikes duties. You would completely think that they would be so on board with this because they get exposed on a daily basis. It's just so embarrassing for them. And when these over sensitive morons get challenged on something they clearly missed, they double down and throw the player/coach, who is correct, out to of the game. It's just so shameful and bad for the game.