Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 118
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17,245

    Carolina Panthers

    Didn't see another place to put this discussion since we don't have an NFC South discussion thread, but does anybody else think the Panthers might be a dark horse candidate to win the South?

    Obviously the Bucs are the best team in the division, but the Panthers have an easier schedule and have drastically improved with competent QB play and an up and coming defense.

    Panthers could conceivably start 8-1 if you look at their upcoming schedule:

    vs. Eagles, vs. Vikings, @ Giants, @ Falcons, vs. Patriots

    None of those teams currently have more than a single win. They are a combined 5 - 15.

    It gets a bit tougher after that, but they can easily be looking at 10 to 11 wins.

    Unfortunately for them, the Bucs somehow have an incredibly easy schedule for most of the year. They play the Bills, but otherwise their next toughest games are 2 against the Panthers.

    Aside from those 3 games, every other team they play is either .500 or worse. They play the Jets, the Dolphins, the Colts, the Falcons, the Eagles, the Bears, the Saints, and WFT. Those 8 teams currently have a combined record of 11-21.

    Bucs will win it most likely, but if the Panthers can just take care of business for the most part, they'll have a chance at the end of the year with 2/3 against the Bucs to end it.

    That's wild.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    96,267
    The Panthers are a mirage.

    I said it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14,521
    The Panthers are flashing a year ahead of schedule. They might be a WC team if Bradford and Joe Brady keep the offense moving efficiently behind maybe the worst OL in the league, but the defense (which I knew could be legit coming into the season) is taking way too many hits early in the season and likely will fall off.

    The defense still has talent, but losing Horn, Burris (not that he's good, but we have nobody else to play FS), and now Shaq is out with a foot injury. We are weak at LB to begin with. We either need Henderson to magically develop and get up to speed or a safety to step up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17,245
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    The Panthers are flashing a year ahead of schedule. They might be a WC team if Bradford and Joe Brady keep the offense moving efficiently behind maybe the worst OL in the league, but the defense (which I knew could be legit coming into the season) is taking way too many hits early in the season and likely will fall off.

    The defense still has talent, but losing Horn, Burris (not that he's good, but we have nobody else to play FS), and now Shaq is out with a foot injury. We are weak at LB to begin with. We either need Henderson to magically develop and get up to speed or a safety to step up.
    Oof, I didn't realize Shaq is going to be out now. He was blowing up plays left and right against Dallas. He went down but I thought he returned to play. How long is he expected to be out?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Oof, I didn't realize Shaq is going to be out now. He was blowing up plays left and right against Dallas. He went down but I thought he returned to play. How long is he expected to be out?
    He is week to week. We have lost too many guys on the Defense and we cannot run the exotic blitzes without getting killed in the passing game. It showed against Dallas before Shaq was out, it will be worse now. Overcompensating for that lack of coverage is going to get us killed vs the run, especially if it is a power running team.

    We might see Chinn come back to LB with Shaq out, he is oop playing FS anyway.

    We are a year ahead of schedule in our rebuild, we might get in as a wildcard team if we can sustain anything through these injuries.

    Without the injuries we had a chance to win the NFCS. Also like MBC said we have the worst OL in the league.

    CMC is scheduled to practice tomorrow though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu View Post
    He is week to week. We have lost too many guys on the Defense and we cannot run the exotic blitzes without getting killed in the passing game. It showed against Dallas before Shaq was out, it will be worse now. Overcompensating for that lack of coverage is going to get us killed vs the run, especially if it is a power running team.

    We might see Chinn come back to LB with Shaq out, he is oop playing FS anyway.

    We are a year ahead of schedule in our rebuild, we might get in as a wildcard team if we can sustain anything through these injuries.

    Without the injuries we had a chance to win the NFCS. Also like MBC said we have the worst OL in the league.

    CMC is scheduled to practice tomorrow though.
    That's all true, but I think the defense will feast on lesser offenses. Dallas is a top 5 offense. The only other tough offense they have in the next 5 weeks is probably the Eagles and they're inconsistent right now.

    We will see, but I think they'll be more than just an early surprise at 3-0.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12,044
    I still think their defense was tougher than Tampaís and that was with the Panthers missing some players. They have a really good young QB and will be be getting CMC back. If they can keep Darnold from getting killed I think they win that division.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I still think their defense was tougher than Tampaís and that was with the Panthers missing some players. They have a really good young QB and will be be getting CMC back. If they can keep Darnold from getting killed I think they win that division.
    I definitely have more optimism now than I have since Cam got broken.

    We went from like the 30th oldest team to the youngest in the league over the past couple of years and we are still competitive which is all that can be asked for at this point. If we do win the south with this OL I will be surprised.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    That's all true, but I think the defense will feast on lesser offenses. Dallas is a top 5 offense. The only other tough offense they have in the next 5 weeks is probably the Eagles and they're inconsistent right now.

    We will see, but I think they'll be more than just an early surprise at 3-0.
    We do have a chance to be 8-1 going into the game with the cardinals, our next 5 games are very winnable.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    44,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu View Post
    We do have a chance to be 8-1 going into the game with the cardinals, our next 5 games are very winnable.
    Pssssssshhh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Pssssssshhh
    You guys are 4.5 point underdogs, so yes the game is winnable, even with all of our injuries.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    44,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu View Post
    You guys are 4.5 point underdogs, so yes the game is winnable, even with all of our injuries.
    Canít believe panthers only giving 4.5 lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,703
    I hope Fitt can work contracts as well as he works the trades.

    We need to resign Moore, Reddick, Jackson, Gilmore (if he can still play), and any OL that are available in FA.

    The rest of our FA can walk.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu View Post
    I hope Fitt can work contracts as well as he works the trades.

    We need to resign Moore, Reddick, Jackson, Gilmore (if he can still play), and any OL that are available in FA.

    The rest of our FA can walk.
    Moore is coming up to be a FA? That's a franchise tag candidate for sure if they can't work out a deal.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Moore is coming up to be a FA? That's a franchise tag candidate for sure if they can't work out a deal.
    Next year is the last year of his deal, but they have been wanting to do an extension. His numbers this year keep driving the price up.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •