Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    I have been totally unimpressed by GTJ.....and other than the 1 crazy game he had last year I haven't seen much to make me think he should be our starting SG or play big minutes off the bench. Heck, the way OG has looked he could be the starting SG and the way Svi has played he could be the backup. Especially once Siakam, Yuta and Boucher are back and they have more guys who can score the basketball.

Who did impress me last night was Barnes...again. This time he held Beal to just 1 for 11 from the field for 7 points in ~30min! I know its preseason, but 7 pts in 30min from one of the best scorers in the NBA? Dekker stole the show in the 4th quarter raining 3's, but Barnes was the reason why they were still within striking distance in the 4th the way he took Beal out of that game ....while dropping a team high 7 dimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Precious 2022 stats prediction:
    10pts 8rb 1b 1.5s fan favourite.
    I like it Hes already one of my favorite raptors.

Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    I think if everything goes well but Siakam missing the first month is going to be hard. I think we are at around .500 with Siakam gone. I also don't know if Siakam plays the way he's been playing the last 2 years as the "go to guy" or does go back to the 2019 -all-over-the-place Siakam, going for loose balls, crashing the offensive glass, hard cutting - which opens up the floor for Barnes. OG seems to be the more 1 on 1 type of guy who has a better jump shot than Siakam.
    I agree that OG is looking like an iso option and is trying to develop into that type of guy. That will take some late-shot-clock pressure off of siakam. But also the addition of Barnes and his ball handlingÖ that will also take a bunch of pressure off of siakam.

Iím having a LOT more confidence in FVV stepping up than I had going into the offseason. Heís looking crisp on the court in preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I have been totally unimpressed by GTJ.....and other than the 1 crazy game he had last year I haven't seen much to make me think he should be our starting SG or play big minutes off the bench. Heck, the way OG has looked he could be the starting SG and the way Svi has played he could be the backup. Especially once Siakam, Yuta and Boucher are back and they have more guys who can score the basketball.

Who did impress me last night was Barnes...again. This time he held Beal to just 1 for 11 from the field for 7 points in ~30min! I know its preseason, but 7 pts in 30min from one of the best scorers in the NBA? Dekker stole the show in the 4th quarter raining 3's, but Barnes was the reason why they were still within striking distance in the 4th the way he took Beal out of that game ....while dropping a team high 7 dimes.
    I think GTjr will continue to do what he does. Hit shots, spread the floor. I donít think his contract will be an albatross.
    Just disappointing to not see him expanding his game at such a young age.

A good test of NN.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post

Its only pre season bro, give it some time. I do think GTJ needs to start over Dragic though. I dont see the point in starting Dragic if he isnt a part of future plans. Id rather let Gary find his groove with the starters and build that chemistry. He is someone that we have invested in, so we need to commit to him, and give him a larger role consistently.

I think GTjr will continue to do what he does. Hit shots, spread the floor. I donít think his contract will be an albatross.
    Just disappointing to not see him expanding his game at such a young age.

A good test of NN.
    It just seems silly that we traded Norm for him, and he seems to be the better player and on a better contract lol.

Also that neck tattoo is one of the ugliest things Ive ever seen. Its atrocious. I dont know why these young guys do stuff like that to them selves. not judging, but I am judging. He looks like an idiot. lol

I like what Flynn is flashing on mismatches. Looks like he is ready to break a guy down and get to the basket when the opportunity arises, and thatís what you need from your PG.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Its only pre season bro, give it some time. I do think GTJ needs to start over Dragic though. I dont see the point in starting Dragic if he isnt a part of future plans. Id rather let Gary find his groove with the starters and build that chemistry. He is someone that we have invested in, so we need to commit to him, and give him a larger role consistently.
    While being disappointed with GTjrís progression so far, I also agree with you here. He should be starting. I donít give af about dragic or the 2nd round pick he can be traded for.

Iíd have him at 3rd string PG.

It just seems silly that we traded Norm for him, and he seems to be the better player and on a better contract lol.

Also that neck tattoo is one of the ugliest things Ive ever seen. Its atrocious. I dont know why these young guys do stuff like that to them selves. not judging, but I am judging. He looks like an idiot. lol
    Yeah I think most of us are feeling that same thing about the Powell trade. I think we are easily in the playoffs with Powell this season. Powell also has had injuries so that could be a factor long term.

They played themselves they wanted the smaller cap hold

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    They played themselves they wanted the smaller cap hold
    Yeah they played themselves. Powell signed for cheaper and on a longer term. And ironically I think his skill set fit this group better as well.

While being disappointed with GTjrís progression so far, I also agree with you here. He should be starting. I donít give af about dragic or the 2nd round pick he can be traded for.

Iíd have him at 3rd string PG.
    right? like get the hell on already. He doesnt even look in shape to me. I seen him struggling to get back on defense a few times.

I like what Flynn is flashing on mismatches. Looks like he is ready to break a guy down and get to the basket when the opportunity arises, and thatís what you need from your PG.
    Ecart made a really good point. We could be show casing Dragic, but what for? hes a 17 year vet, teams know what they would get with him. And the less he plays now, the better chance he stays healthy for the playoffs. Any team trading for him would be more interested in his health, than what he show cases on our team.

And even though Im not a big Flynn fan, its just logical to think you want to develop your young players in a rebuild. Dragic getting minutes ahead of GTJ and Flynn makes 0 sense to me.

The trade in the moment made sense to me. Mostly for capology reasons and taking on the younger asset who is an RFA (instead of UFA). It allowed the Raptors a lot more options during the off-season. The decision to S&T Lowry for Dragic and Achiuwa destroyed any benefit of capology. But if I ask myself whether I'd rather have Holmes (the logical FA target with the money available) or Achiuwa, I'm very happy we grabbed Achiuwa. Younger asset won't mean anything unless GTJ develops more. At this point, it is hard for me to see GTJ as anything more than a floor spacers. He doesn't have the handles, vision or defensive tools to grow significantly in those areas.

Pure shooters certainly are important in the league though. And the market of paying one in the mid to upper teens is fairly consistent with what we see around the league. But yah, if we could go back in hindsight, the Powell trade didn't have the type of benefit it could have. As of today, I prefer Powell. If he starts to decline in a year or 2 or hits injuries, etc., I'll be glad to not have given him a 5 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    The trade in the moment made sense to me. Mostly for capology reasons and taking on the younger asset who is an RFA (instead of UFA). It allowed the Raptors a lot more options during the off-season. The decision to S&T Lowry for Dragic and Achiuwa destroyed any benefit of capology. But if I ask myself whether I'd rather have Holmes (the logical FA target with the money available) or Achiuwa, I'm very happy we grabbed Achiuwa. Younger asset won't mean anything unless GTJ develops more. At this point, it is hard for me to see GTJ as anything more than a floor spacers. He doesn't have the handles, vision or defensive tools to grow significantly in those areas.

Pure shooters certainly are important in the league though. And the market of paying one in the mid to upper teens is fairly consistent with what we see around the league. But yah, if we could go back in hindsight, the Powell trade didn't have the type of benefit it could have. As of today, I prefer Powell. If he starts to decline in a year or 2 or hits injuries, etc., I'll be glad to not have given him a 5 year deal.
    I don't get it Norm signed for less. How would signing GTJ for more money save cap space? I am glad we got Precious. Hes one of my fav young players on the team already. But I think we could still have made that trade even if we kept Norm.

With respect to the bolded, keep in mind that GTJ only signed for 3 years and has a player option on the 3rd year which he can very well decline. Norm is only 28, he isn't going to decline in a year or two. He signed a very team friendly deal, and is under control for 5 years vs 2 with Gary. I just think that contract he is on now, would have been a great deal for us. Hes making 15.5 mill this year. In two years when Trent Jr opts out to be a free agent, there is no way he will resign for what Norm just singed for.

You being glad we didn't sign Norm to a 5 year deal is just you trying to be positive bro, and I get that but you would have to agree that the 5 year deal he is on, is a bargain for Norm.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 10-13-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast