Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Nimmo and Alonso due for big raises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It ain’t coming out of your pocket

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    It ain’t coming out of your pocket
    That goes without being said but the Mets have to control spending just like every entity in the world.

They can only have so many $10M AAV players maybe 1 or 2 $20M AAV players (already Cano) and they already have 2 $30M AAV players in Lindor and deGrom.

They have the 3rd largest payroll in MLB despite being very close to the lower third in overall performance. Some players need to be traded.

We know that Familia will be gone as will Betances. Perhaps Familia comes back on a very much reduced AAV.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    That goes without being said but the Mets have to control spending just like every entity in the world.

They can only have so many $10M AAV players maybe 1 or 2 $20M AAV players (already Cano) and they already have 2 $30M AAV players in Lindor and deGrom.

They have the 3rd largest payroll in MLB despite being very close to the lower third in overall performance. Some players need to be traded.

We know that Familia will be gone as will Betances. Perhaps Familia comes back on a very much reduced AAV.
    The Mets have deeper pockets than anyone in baseball. Whether their owner wants to part with all that cash is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    The Mets have deeper pockets than anyone in baseball. Whether their owner wants to part with all that cash is another issue.
    They have deeper pockets, but Cohen is not making the money that Yanks or Dodgers make based on their tv rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    They have deeper pockets, but Cohen is not making the money that Yanks or Dodgers make based on their tv rights.

Also a fair point.

Mets need to brainstorm some alternative ways to have cash flow.

End blackout restrictions and let the Mets be streamable, I’m sure that’ll do something.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

I'll give u a realistic take. Mets "half ***" it by keeping most of the same players. Not filling all their needs but only 40% of them. And we get excited for the season as they sell us on the fake narrative that we can be good. And then back to 81-82 wins again next year. Rinse repeat process of being a Mets fan

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    WOW, you are missing the obvious . Of course you sign Verlander. Give him whatever he wants because forgetting Verlander's performance we get Kate Upton !!!
    Last time we got someone who had a hot wife, she threatened to **** the entire staff

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Also a fair point.

Mets need to brainstorm some alternative ways to have cash flow.

End blackout restrictions and let the Mets be streamable, I’m sure that’ll do something.

I don't think the Mets revenue stream is a factor in the team's payroll right now. There is a saying, no need to spend money to make money.

That aside, the principal factor is Cohen's willingness to spend. Like with everything else in life, there has to be moderation. So, there is a limiting factor. Cohen is not going to spend like a drunken sailor. But he can spend within reason. It remains to be seen just how far Cohen is willing to go.

I'm kind of torn either way. The Mets can go significantly over the luxury tax threshold in 2022, when one is established by the new CBA. But the risk is that having done that the team goes over again significantly in the following year(s).

Given all the money the Yankees and Dodgers and Red Sox have paid in luxury tax, the $7M or so penalty for a Met payroll of say $240M is not the end of the world.

Plus the Yankees, Dodgers and a few others have sustained success with spending. The Mets do not. 2021 is a perfect example. The Mets have the third largest payroll and still fell near the lower 1/3 of MLB performance. If I was the owner, I wouldn't give this front office that much latitude to spend.

Let's fix the front office first.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    I don't think the Mets revenue stream is a factor in the team's payroll right now. There is a saying, no need to spend money to make money.

That aside, the principal factor is Cohen's willingness to spend. Like with everything else in life, there has to be moderation. So, there is a limiting factor. Cohen is not going to spend like a drunken sailor. But he can spend within reason. It remains to be seen just how far Cohen is willing to go.

I'm kind of torn either way. The Mets can go significantly over the luxury tax threshold in 2022, when one is established by the new CBA. But the risk is that having done that the team goes over again significantly in the following year(s).

Given all the money the Yankees and Dodgers and Red Sox have paid in luxury tax, the $7M or so penalty for a Met payroll of say $240M is not the end of the world.
    Yeah I doubt the revenue becomes an issue anytime soon. It could be a good idea to at least establish some kind of infrastructure or future planning to keep up with the times…Cohen has the money to do it. The Mets are super valuable but there’s always room for more growth.

There’s absolutely a limiting factor but that factor should come at the cost of unrestricted free agents, not anything else. Spend big on a streaming service, putting a roof on Citi field, bringing analytics up to speed, hiring FO members regardless of cost, pay the minor leaguers a living wage and give them proper housing, invest in third party firms to properly vet candidates, be willing to pay up for valuable interns or have money aside to create other positions so you don’t lose another David Stearns, invest in IFA, and so on.

Cohen’s not gonna spend like a drunken sailor but there needs to be spending in areas that are important, not as expensive, and/or are one time costs. Cohen absolutely should be investing a billion dollars over X amount of time to make this club distinguishable, modern, and just overall awesome. That doesn’t have to come with “live comedy in between innings” or whatever other ******** they’re peddling.

Slight tangent aside - I said it before but as far as baseball operations go, I believe this team should push a 300-350 million dollar payroll next year. Call the Dodgers about David Price for instance, and take on his entire salary while getting them to give a good prospect in return. Same with the Nats and Corbin, Padres and Machado(?) Cubs about Heyward, and so on. Teams have done that quite a bit and the Mets have the financial might to absorb a poor contract, while still boosting the ML roster and farm system.

Cano’s coming back and the payroll is going to sit at what? 170-180MM after arbitration with plenty of room for improvement. Unless this team wants to rebuild, they’re going to have to add money and push the luxury tax. I don’t see how this team improves with only 30-40MM to work with, it’ll be marginal improvements at best…that’s also not taking into consideration Conforto and Syndergaard being QO’d and possibly accepting.

Cano’s under contract for two more years and deGrom has a player option after next year, the Mets should pay whatever penalties there are for surpassing the luxury tax and try to load up on contracts/keep a high payroll for 2-3 seasons, then reset when deGrom’s contract is clearer and Cano is off the books.

Pay the penalty for 2-3 years then slowly drop it back down. Cohen said he wanted to be like the Dodgers and has tried to imitate them, do it right this time lol.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Mets did not pick up option on Rojas, so he is out.

Mets did not pick up option on Rojas, so he is out.

I feel bad for Rojas. I'm never a fan of someone losing their job. Hopefully they re-assign him in the organization somewhere because the players clearly love him. The X's and O's just didn't suit well with him.

Definitely not a bad guy, and I'm sure he can stay in the organization, but glad he's out as manager

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be against moving him back to QCC or bench coach…but I’m genuinely not sure what other managerial options are there.

I have an interesting question.

Conforto and Syndergaard will become FAs on the day following the last game of the WS. The Mets will have a 5 day Quiet period to negotiate a contract with each, after which the two players will be able to negotiate with any club they choose.

The Mets also have the right to make a QO which, after a certain period of time, the players must accept or reject.

Normally, the QO gives the losing team certain right in connection with draft compensation, which rules vary based on the type of team, e.g., revenue receiver or payor etc. IN the case of the Mets it appears that they would only receive draft compensation if a player who was offered a QO signed for a 5 year $50M contract.

That isn't going to happen with either Conforto or Syndergaard, or at least is extremely unlikely any team would sign either for that amount. So it means the QO is useless for the Mets in this case.

The QO notwithstanding, the Mets would still have two opportunities to tender a contract/sign each of these players, once during the quiet period, and later when the two players are able to negotiate with all clubs.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Having said all this, I see no reason why the Mets should make a QO. Instead, they should simply tender a regular contract and, in the event either player does not sign a tender, the Mets can still negotiate a contract later when the players have the ability to negotiate with all the other clubs. In other words, IMO, the Mets should tender the two players the same contract they received in 2021, $12.2M for Conforto and $9.7M for Syndergaard.

Worse case scenario, after the quiet period another team offers either or both of these players a better deal. The Mets can then up their offer or match what the other team is offering. Both players grew up in the Mets system and have expressed a desire to remain a Met. That is worth something. It may not translate into much of a home discount, but clearly if a team is offer $X and the Mets match that offer, one would expect the player to accept the Met offer.

Now, assuming both players sign a one year deal, the tender, they would again be eligible for FA after the 2022 season, right. Now, I believe a player can only be offered a QO once. So, if the Mets made a QO this year, both players like Stroman would be eligible FAs after the 2022 season. However, having already used the QO, the Mets would not be able to make a QO.

There is a presumption that both players can come back in 2022 and reestablish themselves. Perhaps not both, but certainly one of the two could be in strong position to get a significant contract, like 5 years and $50M. But, having already used the QO, the Mets would get no compensation should either of these players sign elsewhere.

Bottom line: The Mets should not make a QO this year to either Conforto or Sundergaard. Tender them a regular contract, which IMO should be the same they made this year. After all, does either deserve a raise?

No doubt if the Met made a QO, both players would accept. On the other hand, it is certainly possible that the Mets could lose either or both players if they signed with other teams, the Mets having not offered a QO. But again, the Mets can simply match any competing team's offer and, realistically, I cannot envisage a team offering either player anything close to the expected $20M QO. But, in the unlikely event that should happen, again, the Mets can simply match that offer.

So, Mets should not make a QO. Tender each player less and save the QO for next year.

That is what I think.

Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast