Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Buxton is cheap. But why would Minny move him?

In that case, Nimmo would move to LF, not RF. I don't think he has the arm for RF.

Personally, I would not offer a QO to either Conforto or Sybdergaard. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can tender them a contract, the same they made this year, which of course they have to agree to. Also, perhaps they can delay declaring FA. In any case, the QO doesn't do much for the Mets as neither player would bring back draft compensation.

BTW, all of these moves, including what the prior posts had, are pie in the sky. The Mets simply don't have the budget for them all. The Mets payroll would have to be in the $240M range, which will cost the Mets a hefty luxury payment.

That said, maybe in the end that is what the Mets need to do. No way out. The Mets simply do not have the payroll flexibility. So it remains to be seen what they can actually do. Maybe they can come up with some creative accounting? Or maybe, what the heck, they go for it, and damn the torpedoes full speed ahead.

In the end, I'm fine bringing back Conforto and Thor, but not with a QO. I also like Rich Hill, and perhaps also Brad Hand (but at a much lower salary). I think it is possible the Mets could let Stroman walk, depending on his asking price to sign. Not happy with Familia, but might bring him back on a 1 year deal for say $3M. Otherwise sayonara.

I don't trade Dom/Mcneil/JD unless I am getting back some value.

I guess Cano will DH?
    70% chance Minnesota moves Buxton, extension talks didn’t go anywhere and Minnesota likely realizes that the division is unwinnable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    70% chance Minnesota moves Buxton, extension talks didn’t go anywhere and Minnesota likely realizes that the division is unwinnable

Talk about a guy who is hurt all the time though. Dude has only played more than a 100 games once in his career. Love his talent and I'm sure the Twins will be motivated to move him but at what cost?

Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    This is something I could see this team doing.

Resign Baez, Stroman, Thor, and Loup

Let Conforto walk with the QO. No way he takes that because someone will give him 120-150 million dollars. Maybe and most likely more.

Trade for Buxton - The Mets love to do these type of deals. Trade for a guy with one year left. If he signs you keep him and if he walks you get ammo in the draft to replace players you trade. I can hear a version of that coming from Alderson as I’m typing. You move Nimmo to RF.

I believe this is where it could get interesting because we could swap Donaldson and Cano in the deal. Cano makes 1 million a year more, but they would get out of the contract a year earlier with Cano. Cano can be a full time DH and Donaldson can be our 3B short term. Donaldson becomes a great bat off the bench in the last couple years of the contract. Obviously more players involved. Cano, Davis, and Prospects.

1. Nimmo
    2. Buxton
    3. Lindor
    4. Alonso
    5. Baez
    6. Smith/McNeil
    7. Donaldson
    8. McCann

1 DeGrom
    2. Stroman
    3. Thor
    4. Corrasco
    5. Walker

And obviously get bullpen pieces through FA. And I think one of Smith/McNeil get traded

Of course injuries will be an issue just like they seem to be every year.

Cano has a NTC.. so you better forget about him accepting a move away from NYC to go live in MN..

Donaldson can be a target ..even with Buxton perhaps..but including Cano in equation is not..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't see why the Mets can't blow past the luxury tax in the first couple of years of a new POBO. Obviously that isn't the long term goal but I feel like the best way for the Mets to be competitive next year and in the immediate future is spending money. They're not going to be pull off some anomaly like the Giants did this year with finding guys who never hit in the majors (who have this year) and have had career resurgences. They have 4 guys on their bench alone with OPS+ plus 110 and aside from Flores, they were guys who werent playing in the majors or were playing in Korea.

The good thing is there are avenues to acquiring FA without giving up any draft picks. If they're smart, they'll use them.

This isn't a team you blow up imo. They need a few acquisitions here and there to field a potential playoff team.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-02-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't see why the Mets can't blow past the luxury tax in the first couple of years of a new POBO. Obviously that isn't the long term goal but I feel like the best way for the Mets to be competitive next year and in the immediate future is spending money. They're not going to be pull off some anomaly like the Giants did this year with finding guys who never hit in the majors (who have this year) and have had career resurgences. They have 4 guys on their bench alone with OPS+ plus 110 and aside from Flores, they were guys who werent playing in the majors or were playing in Korea.

The good thing is there are avenues to acquiring FA without giving up any draft picks. If they're smart, they'll use them.

This isn't a team you blow up imo. They need a few acquisitions here and there to field a potential playoff team.
    They have to blow past the luxury tax. Take on bad contracts to mitigate prospect return or absorb bad contracts by taking on a prospect, spending excessively in free agency, and spending as much as possible in the IFA market is the way to jumpstart a stronger minor league pipeline/major league depth.

Take on a 350 million dollar payroll for a year or two, it’ll only benefit the team in the long run.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

They not just can blow pass it they will need to do it to address many of their holes.

I don't think they'll have to QO Syndergaard to be honest. He's basically missed 2 years. Extended him the QO is a courtesy at this point.

I'd be okay with Verlander but the timing of that injury at his advanced age scares me big time. 39 year old pitchers don't come back from TJ surgery if they even ever pitch again. Doubt it would cost that much to sign him but its a lot more likely he ends up back in Houston imo.

If the DH comes into play, I re-sign Conforto and go after Castellanos. He's the best hitter on the market and that's what the Mets need.
    WOW, you are missing the obvious . Of course you sign Verlander. Give him whatever he wants because forgetting Verlander's performance we get Kate Upton !!!

I understand that the premise of this thread probably had to do with players but what is more important is to get the proper people in place , President , GM , Manager and coaches before we trade or sign anyone. DEcember is looming and this has to get done ASAP .

Yes another thread has discussed this ad nauseum but I feel it should be mentioned again in this t ," Way Early Offseason Thread "

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    WOW, you are missing the obvious . Of course you sign Verlander. Give him whatever he wants because forgetting Verlander's performance we get Kate Upton !!!
    Never was fond of Kate Upton. Blondes and big boobs are nice but don't overly do much for me. More into Latin women, dark hair, great azzes, etc. Is there a major league player with a beautiful latin wife? Then I'm in lol.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-02-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Mets are at about 135M heading into the offseason
    CBT Tax is at $210 for 2022
    Including Arb for the following players would be an additional 35M
    So that puts the Mets around $170M before any pending FA's are resigned.

So I can see the Mets 100% going over the CBT to retain Noah/Stroman if needed

Noah = 20M QO
    Stroman = 20-25M deal

So that puts us right at the cusp of the 210M CBT mark.

For this reason, I think Mets will do the following:

Non-Tender: Reduces Potential 4.8M hold
    Gsellman, Robert
    Almora, Albert
    Martinez, Jose
    Lucchesi, Joey

Trade: Reduces Potential 7.7M hold
    JD David
    Dom Smith

I think we can agree that the Mets will move on from JD Davis and likely non-tender Gsellman, that itself would keep the Mets from committing about 1.5-3.5M each.

They will trade Dom Smith due to his value being high with his 2 arb years left. Pete already spoke about wanting to be a 1B not a full time DH and I can see the Mets giving in to him.

Dom isn't a LF and I think we should move him while his value is still something.

With the Mets already at 210M they will go more over like Cohen said it makes no sense to only go over a little bit. I can see them going after Baez and one more OF to replace Conforto like Starling Marte.

I think they will the Dom trade to Aquire a 3B or OF to plug and play. A name that keeps showing up on my feed is Buxton, Twins like Jeff McNeil and I think they like Dom if that's the case. A deal built around Dom for a pending FA like Buxton could be had.

Having a OF of Buxton/Nimmo/Marte would be beautiful.

I'm sipping on wine, so def I'm reaching on some thing but I think the plug and play (Rental) trade is something the Mets do like MetsBull said.

Quote Originally Posted by knicks_champ View Post
    Mets are at about 135M heading into the offseason
    CBT Tax is at $210 for 2022
    Including Arb for the following players would be an additional 35M
    So that puts the Mets around $170M before any pending FA's are resigned.

So I can see the Mets 100% going over the CBT to retain Noah/Stroman if needed

Noah = 20M QO
    Stroman = 20-25M deal

So that puts us right at the cusp of the 210M CBT mark.

For this reason, I think Mets will do the following:

Non-Tender: Reduces Potential 4.8M hold
    Gsellman, Robert
    Almora, Albert
    Martinez, Jose
    Lucchesi, Joey

Trade: Reduces Potential 7.7M hold
    JD David
    Dom Smith

I think we can agree that the Mets will move on from JD Davis and likely non-tender Gsellman, that itself would keep the Mets from committing about 1.5-3.5M each.

They will trade Dom Smith due to his value being high with his 2 arb years left. Pete already spoke about wanting to be a 1B not a full time DH and I can see the Mets giving in to him.

Dom isn't a LF and I think we should move him while his value is still something.

With the Mets already at 210M they will go more over like Cohen said it makes no sense to only go over a little bit. I can see them going after Baez and one more OF to replace Conforto like Starling Marte.

I think they will the Dom trade to Aquire a 3B or OF to plug and play. A name that keeps showing up on my feed is Buxton, Twins like Jeff McNeil and I think they like Dom if that's the case. A deal built around Dom for a pending FA like Buxton could be had.

Having a OF of Buxton/Nimmo/Marte would be beautiful.

I'm sipping on wine, so def I'm reaching on some thing but I think the plug and play (Rental) trade is something the Mets do like MetsBull said.
    The $135M, according to Cots, includes only 8 players. You mention $35M for Arb, but you failed to detail who the players are. In any case, that would only be estimates.

Martinez will likely be non-tendered. But why get rid of Lucchesi who is making peanuts? OK, Almora, but better still trade Pillar and avoid the $3.5M option for 2022.

What about Conforto?

When you talk about getting rid of this guy or that guy, for example Gsellman, you also have to address what their replacements will make. So if you go out and replace a guy like DAvis or McNeil, both of which are not making a lot of money, with somebody like Villar, who made $3.5M, you wind without saving any money. Getting rid of players for the sake of getting rid of them is not a good strategy. If the Met feel a player is overated, say Dom or JD, they can simply tender them a low salary, or even non-tender them. They aren't going to bring back much in trade value.

Again, just making moves for the sake of making moves is not a good plan IMO. Like I have said before, this is the reverse strategy of buy low and sell high. It is actually sell low and buy high. Again, who replaces these guys. Maybe the replacement cost more.

OK, we start with $135M + your estimate of $35M (for how many players?), +$25M stro + $40M Thor and Conforto, + $30M Baez = ?? ...$265M? It adds up pretty fast.

You did not include Baez, and you are trading McNeil, so who plays 2B? Cano? or does he DH?
    Lots of variables to consider.

I'm not against going over the luxury tax threshold. Then again, it is not my money, albeit eventually the fans will have to cough up the cost. But I do want to be realistic.

I don't think the Mets are going to blow up the team.

Realistically, I think we all are coming to the conclusion that the Mets will have to blow past the luxury threshold, and some of us believe it will be by a lot.

Let's say, for arguments sake, the payroll winds up, including the benefits, at $240M. I don't know what the 2022 threshold will be, but let's use 2021's $210M. The Mets would pay 20% of the excess = $6M plus an additional 12% surtax on the overage of $10M (exceeding by $20) = $1.2M. Roughly speaking, $7.2M.

Not really a lot, that is, for one year. The problem is when you go into multiple years. And it might be like a drug where you can't off of it. That is the real danger. So, yes, going over one year is not the end of the world. But it probably means the Mets go over in 2023 as well.

A little off topic, but....

With so much talk of the luxury tax, there is an area where Cohen's money can make a difference. That is, in the minors and drafts. Typically, a team like the Mets will have about 30 scouts, not including the advance scout(s). The average salary of a scout according to what I read makes $35k a year. But let's say, for arguments sake, it is $50k with all benefits and such.

OK. it might be a bit overkill, but how about increasing the number of scouts. If I added10 scouts that would cost another $500k, maybe even more scouts could be added without decreasing results to scale. Whether that is cost effective or not is hard to say, but it doesn't affect the player salaries and the luxury tax, so there is no surtax or penalty associated with that.

The goal of course would be to make better evaluations of players overall and to expand the net of players that are evaluated and ultimately signed outside of the MLB draft. You only have to come up with one diamond in the rough to come out ahead. That also includes the Rule V draft. Roberto Clemente, for example, was a rule V pick out of the Dodgers organization. But that is another story.

Another thing that Cohen's money can do is to increase the number of minor league instructors. I don't have any stats on that but I recall from years past the Mets had one pitching and one hitting roving instructor. I'm sure it may be more now. But that would also be an area to plow some money into. The goal obviously would be to increase the development of players, especially in terms of their timeline for getting to the majors, but also to ensure that they are fundamentally sound when they reach the majors.

Also, perhaps increase the number of coaches on each minor league team.

I don't know if the Mets already do this, but I would expand the analytics/statistical section of the Mets to the minors, at least AAA. The point being that we could get a better read on players by looking at alternative statistical information, which basically in the old days for the old timers was something they already from their gut and from their experience. But today I don't think many baseball insiders have that same ability. I recall when Pete Rose managed the Reds somebody mentioned or was going to mention an analytic about Gary Redus, and before they could say anything Rose already knew the statistic. Anyway, don't how feasible it is or what it would cost, but I would look into bring analytics or sabremetics or whatever you want to call it down to the minors.
    Last edited by AUDIT; 10-03-2021 at 09:18 AM.

https://twitter.com/psltoflushing/st...374713868?s=21

Nimmo and Alonso due for big raises

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast