Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Way Early Offseason Thread

Might as well. Season has been over. Watching Atlanta win this division burns my balls but good on them for the moves they made at the deadline. Soler has basically been a lighter version of Acuna.

So basically I want Bryant or Marte and another bat. In a perfect world, I would rather have Castellanos but he's not good defensively. I don't see them going for 3 big time FA so I guess you have to pick your poison. Re-sign Baez and trade for a lesser bat. Or let Baez walk and get one of those guys I mentioned above. I like Baez's versatility but I would like it lot more if he could play 3rd base.

Next is a SP. Gausman, Stroman, Carlos Rodon or Robbie Ray. I would bring back Rich Hill if he wants to continue pitching. Corey Kluber or Alex Wood would be nice middle of the rotation SPs as well.

Lesser tier guys I would consider are Soler, Canha. I like Chris Taylor's versatility as well.

RP I would consider Ottavino, Knebel, Collin McHugh, Archie Bradley, Darren O'Day, etc. I think the Mets need some guys who pitch from different arm angles. Get more RPMs and horizontal break on their pitches.

JD Davis has to be traded imo. I want them to buy out Cano but its unlikely. I'll miss Conforto but if he balks at the QO so be it. Let him go. Bring back Syndergaard too.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-01-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Might as well. Season has been over. Watching Atlanta win this division burns my balls but good on them for the moves they made at the deadline. Soler has basically been a lighter version of Acuna.

So basically I want Bryant or Marte and another bat. In a perfect world, I would rather have Castellanos but he's not good defensively. I don't see them going for 3 big time FA so I guess you have to pick your poison. Re-sign Baez and trade for a lesser bat. Or let Baez walk and get one of those guys I mentioned above. I like Baez's versatility but I would like it lot more if he could play 3rd base.

Next is a SP. Gausman, Stroman, Carlos Rodon or Robbie Ray. I would bring back Rich Hill if he wants to continue pitching. Corey Kluber or Alex Wood would be nice middle of the rotation SPs as well.

Lesser tier guys I would consider are Soler, Canha. I like Chris Taylor's versatility as well.

RP I would consider Ottavino, Knebel, Collin McHugh, Archie Bradley, Darren O'Day, etc. I think the Mets need some guys who pitch from different arm angles. Get more RPMs and horizontal break on their pitches.

JD Davis has to be traded imo. I want them to buy out Cano but its unlikely. I'll miss Conforto but if he balks at the QO so be it. Let him go. Bring back Syndergaard too.
    Iíll try to give my reasonable take, thatís not accounting for the DH.

Re-Sign Baez 5/125 or sign Bryant for something similar

Re-sign Stro 5/125

QO Syndergaard and Conforto (theyíll both accept)

Sign Mark Canha on a cheap 2/3 year deal worth 15MM AAV.

Sign Soler/Duvall as a platoon

Trade JD/Dom to Detroit for somebody like Grossman/Candelario or Schoop

Sign Verlander 1/20

Sign Bundy/Cobb 1/12

And fill out the bullpen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

I don't think they'll have to QO Syndergaard to be honest. He's basically missed 2 years. Extended him the QO is a courtesy at this point.

I'd be okay with Verlander but the timing of that injury at his advanced age scares me big time. 39 year old pitchers don't come back from TJ surgery if they even ever pitch again. Doubt it would cost that much to sign him but its a lot more likely he ends up back in Houston imo.

If the DH comes into play, I re-sign Conforto and go after Castellanos. He's the best hitter on the market and that's what the Mets need.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-01-2021 at 10:27 AM.

I don't think they'll have to QO Syndergaard to be honest. He's basically missed 2 years. Extended him the QO is a courtesy at this point.

I'd be okay with Verlander but the timing of that injury at his advanced age scares me big time. 39 year old pitchers don't come back from TJ surgery if they even ever pitch again. Doubt it would cost that much to sign him and its a lot more likely he ends up back in Houston imo.

If the DH comes into play, I re-sign Conforto and go after Castellanos. He's the best hitter on the market and that's what the Mets need.
    I think itís a courtesy but I also think Syndergaard has talent where heíll get that on an open market. Mets should just give him a 2/34MM and call it a dayÖI feel like a lot of the times, players in his position are more inclined to sign on for multiple years.

Yeah I think Verlander ends up in Houston or LA. Heís always been a top 3 favorite pitcher of all time for me, I just want him on the Mets. I think 2023 might be more realistic for that hope, though.

If thereís a DH, Castellanos should be a priority, I do think that JD Davis would very well put up similar offensive numbers from that spot, to where it might be kind of redundant to keep both of them. Only keep JD if there is a DH, though.

Good chance that if Castellanos opts out, that he gets hit with a QO, no? Canít the Reds still do that ?

Dom, JD, and McNeil are all bats that could very well be traded for something of value. Itís gonna take some time to really see what the trade market is looking like, so I expect a few free agent signings before the Mets even consider going down that route, at which point Iíll revisit the trade talk, depending on direction.

I like Marte and Canha for outfielders, I think signing one of them, then signing two of Schwarber, Soler, Chris Taylor, Eddie Rosario, or Tommy Pham would also be a good route to take, especially if the Mets sign Marte. Marte + Schwarber + Taylor/Soler would be awesome, imo. Or alternatively sign one of those guys and get some insurance with the expectation that Khalil Lee or Vientos is playing in the outfield.

I donít see Bryant coming here, and I think Baez is somewhat likely to re-sign, good chance the Mets go into next year without a 3rd baseman, again.

Sign Gausman, Greinke, Cobb, Stroman, or whoever. Just sign multiple guys who can provide good value and go deep into games. Mets need to have at least three guys throwing 175 innings next year if they want to get anywhere.

Bullpen is whatever, some good arms there. Couldnít hurt to sign a guy like Ian Kennedy but itís not a huge area of concern, get multiple arms with options so thereís enough to go around throughout the season.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Yeah I still don't see anyone coming close the 19 million dollar QO for a guy who has barely pitched in 2 years. Dude hasn't even thrown a breaking ball yet. Its been all fastballs and changeups. Give him a 1 year 9 or 10 million dollar deal and call it a day. I am sure he will sign.

They need a top end SP with deGrom's uncertainty. I like Gausman and Rodon more than I like Stroman but any of those guys work. Even Robbie Ray.

JD has value but McNeil and Dom have next to none right now.

Its going to be an interesting offseason that's for sure.

With the Padres possibly discussing trading Machado would you like the Mets to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    With the Padres possibly discussing trading Machado would you like the Mets to do it?

I wonder if something could be put together that would involve Cano (money offset) & one of JD/McNeil (current piece) and one of Baty/Mauricio/Vientos (future piece)? I know Cano has a NTC but SD has a lot of talent and is a great place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    I wonder if something could be put together that would involve Cano (money offset) & one of JD/McNeil (current piece) and one of Baty/Mauricio/Vientos (future piece)? I know Cano has a NTC but SD has a lot of talent and is a great place to live.
    If the Padres want that type of piece, they have to eat some of Machado's contract. Similar to what the Rockies did with Arenado. I mean he's still owed 224 million dollars if he doesn't opt out after 2023.

If the Padres want that type of piece, they have to eat some of Machado's contract. Similar to what the Rockies did with Arenado. I mean he's still owed 224 million dollars if he doesn't opt out after 2023.
    Taking Cano would be them eating some money. Machado is still a very productive player (5 WAR this year). I don't see how they don't get someone at the level of Baty/Mauricio/Vientos for Machado. Also, it is not very likely that all three of those players play together, successfully with the Mets, especially since they all have defensive question marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post

Machado ainít going anywhere

Also, two of the players COL got for Arendo turned into a decent mid-rotation starter (Gomber) and a #4 prospect in the COL system (Montero).

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Machado ainít going anywhere

You're probably right.

McNeil smith jd Davis cano and McCann should not be handed starting jobs by default in 2022. Obviously you canít replace everyone but this team needs massive wholesale changes

Rotation should be solid again though especially if Thor is brought back. Iíd try to sign verlander and then you have megill Peterson Yamato as depth

Way Early Offseason Thread

This is something I could see this team doing.

Resign Baez, Stroman, Thor, and Loup

Let Conforto walk with the QO. No way he takes that because someone will give him 120-150 million dollars. Maybe and most likely more.

Trade for Buxton - The Mets love to do these type of deals. Trade for a guy with one year left. If he signs you keep him and if he walks you get ammo in the draft to replace players you trade. I can hear a version of that coming from Alderson as Iím typing. You move Nimmo to RF.

I believe this is where it could get interesting because we could swap Donaldson and Cano in the deal. Cano makes 1 million a year more, but they would get out of the contract a year earlier with Cano. Cano can be a full time DH and Donaldson can be our 3B short term. Donaldson becomes a great bat off the bench in the last couple years of the contract. Obviously more players involved. Cano, Davis, and Prospects.

1. Nimmo
    2. Buxton
    3. Lindor
    4. Alonso
    5. Baez
    6. Smith/McNeil
    7. Donaldson
    8. McCann

1 DeGrom
    2. Stroman
    3. Thor
    4. Corrasco
    5. Walker

And obviously get bullpen pieces through FA. And I think one of Smith/McNeil get traded

Of course injuries will be an issue just like they seem to be every year.

Last edited by metsbulls1025; 10-01-2021 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    This is something I could see this team doing.

Resign Baez, Stroman, Thor, and Loup

Let Conforto walk with the QO. No way he takes that because someone will give him 120-150 million dollars. Maybe and most likely more.

Trade for Buxton - The Mets love to do these type of deals. Trade for a guy with one year left. If he signs you keep him and if he walks you get ammo in the draft to replace players you trade. I can hear a version of that coming from Alderson as Iím typing. You move Nimmo to RF.

I believe this is where it could get interesting because we could swap Donaldson and Cano in the deal. Cano makes 1 million a year more, but they would get out of the contract a year earlier with Cano. Cano can be a full time DH and Donaldson can be our 3B short term. Donaldson becomes a great bat off the bench in the last couple years of the contract. Obviously more players involved. Cano, Davis, and Prospects.

1. Nimmo
    2. Buxton
    3. Lindor
    4. Alonso
    5. Baez
    6. Smith/McNeil
    7. Donaldson
    8. McCann

1 DeGrom
    2. Stroman
    3. Thor
    4. Corrasco
    5. Walker

And obviously get bullpen pieces through FA. And I think one of Smith/McNeil get traded

Of course injuries will be an issue just like they seem to be every year.

Buxton is cheap. But why would Minny move him?

In that case, Nimmo would move to LF, not RF. I don't think he has the arm for RF.

Personally, I would not offer a QO to either Conforto or Sybdergaard. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can tender them a contract, the same they made this year, which of course they have to agree to. Also, perhaps they can delay declaring FA. In any case, the QO doesn't do much for the Mets as neither player would bring back draft compensation.

BTW, all of these moves, including what the prior posts had, are pie in the sky. The Mets simply don't have the budget for them all. The Mets payroll would have to be in the $240M range, which will cost the Mets a hefty luxury payment.

That said, maybe in the end that is what the Mets need to do. No way out. The Mets simply do not have the payroll flexibility. So it remains to be seen what they can actually do. Maybe they can come up with some creative accounting? Or maybe, what the heck, they go for it, and damn the torpedoes full speed ahead.

In the end, I'm fine bringing back Conforto and Thor, but not with a QO. I also like Rich Hill, and perhaps also Brad Hand (but at a much lower salary). I think it is possible the Mets could let Stroman walk, depending on his asking price to sign. Not happy with Familia, but might bring him back on a 1 year deal for say $3M. Otherwise sayonara.

I don't trade Dom/Mcneil/JD unless I am getting back some value.

I guess Cano will DH?

Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast