Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 65 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Sign Baez and give him opt outs so he can go back to playing ss if he desires. But if Baez comes, look for McNeil to be traded for pitching or another catcher who can catch half the games that McCann can't catch. Not someone too young because we have our top prospect Alvarez almost ready for primetime - maybe 2023 but def. by 2024.

We still have Cano and he is immovable, lol. He will likely be the DH anyway, if the NL gets it. If not, he is a bench piece if Baez comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    The fact that they offered more imo showed they were thinking that Gausman was a real possibility while Scherzer was the dream.

In the end I think the fact that they missed out on Gausman allowed them to go all out to get Max. It seems like they were ahead of any other offer and even added more this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably but I always thought their main target was one of these guys and nothing more. If not Gausman or Max then they would have circled back to Stroman (assuming he hadn't signed). Now that they got Max, I think Stroman is as good as gone.

If they do go big on another FA, its Baez or bust imo.

They could still use a mid rotation starter. Can they do it with some smart trade? They also need the lefty reliever. Peterson is likely to be asked to go to the bullpen or start the season at AAA. Rich Hill is still available as is Brad Hand and there are others out there. But the defense in the infield has improved dramatically if Baez is here. Alonso has improved in most areas on defense as well but will never be anywhere near Keith Hernandez or Don Mattingly or Jon Olerud.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Take it FWIW but this dude apparently called the exact dollar amount of Scherzer's deal with the Mets before it was reported by the bigger baseball names.

Actually looking through the history, he did not call the contract first, he just said he did... It was announced it was 3 years for about 43mil per year. So good job on him doing some easy math. Lol

https://twitter.com/timbhealey/statu...795995654?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Sign Baez and give him opt outs so he can go back to playing ss if he desires. But if Baez comes, look for McNeil to be traded for pitching or another catcher who can catch half the games that McCann can't catch. Not someone too young because we have our top prospect Alvarez almost ready for primetime - maybe 2023 but def. by 2024.

We still have Cano and he is immovable, lol. He will likely be the DH anyway, if the NL gets it. If not, he is a bench piece if Baez comes back.
    It has been reported that Baez is close to signing a 6 year deal with the Tigers for oodles of money. I am OK with McNeil at 2B and Escobar at 3B . Maybe bring back Villar . We could use another power bat . There have been mentions of Kyle Schwerber but I don't think he is a good fit. What about Solar ?

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Actually looking through the history, he did not call the contract first, he just said he did... It was announced it was 3 years for about 43mil per year. So good job on him doing some easy math. Lol
    See my post above . . It has been reported that The Tigers are close to signing Baez to a 6 year deal.

Damn losing Baez sucks. Really makes that trade a head scratcher in retrospect. Still need to add one more bat in addition to a SP and relief help.

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Damn losing Baez sucks. Really makes that trade a head scratcher in retrospect. Still need to add one more bat in addition to a SP and relief help.

While Cohen has the wherewithall there has to come a time when he says enough is enough . I don't think that he wants to spend SS money on a 2B, especially since he still has $24 million due to Cano , 9 more years of Lindor at $34 Million plus per year, $43 million for Scherzer. What if DeGrom pitches like DeGrom who can opt out after next year. You just gave Scherzer $43 million , what are you going to extend GeGrom for, $45 million per year?

Are the Mets going to have a $300 + million dollar payroll?

As the great Tim Russert said in covering an election " Pitching , Pitching , Pitching ", ( he actually said ," Florida , Florida , Florida " but I super imposed ) and the Mets need some more pitching ; another SP and bullpen help , especially LH bullpen help. I am not sure why they let Loup walk . In 2020 I loved Brad Hand , but for some reason he was not very good in 2021, both for the Nats and the Mets . RP are crap shoots except for Mariano , so maybe Hand can come back to his prior years performances. He is a FA though.

While Kenley Jensen got back his mojo in the latter part of 2021, I don't think that Eppler and Cohen will pay the big bucks for him. Lugo had a poor year in 2021, hopefully he can return to his 2020 and 2019 days , and May to his Twins days .

There are teams that have closers and ready bullpen guys ready in their minors , we do not ,, at least I think we don't ..

What about the 3 pitchers we got in the Matz trade last year from Toronto ? Are any of them ready to step up ? What about Drew Smith ? I am asking this to those whose knowledge is greater than mine on this issue ? Thoughts please .
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 11-30-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Meh, losing Baez doesn’t bother me much. Escobar will give us his offensive output. Not sure they will keep McNeil but seems more likely now and he’s not exactly a bad player.

I actually think the Mets saw the absolute best Javy Baez can do at the plate. The way he approaches hitting makes me think it’s all downhill from here for him.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post

That trade was a ****ing atrocity.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    That trade was a ****ing atrocity.

True but no every trade works out . Remember the Reds trading Frank Robinson to the Orioles for Milt Pappas. Might have been the worst trade in baseball history not counting Harry Frazee selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

I think if they signed Gausman instead of Scherzer they would be pursuing Baez . The only thing I like about not signing Baez is that it shows that the inmates are not running the asylum, Lindor cannot tell Cohen who to sign. I am also not sure that a Baez -Lindor pairing is good clubhouse chemistry for the rest of the team.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 11-30-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    True but no every trade works out . Remember the Reds trading Frank Robinson to the Orioles for Milt Pappas. Might have been the worst trade in baseball history not counting Harry Frazee selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

I think if they signed Gausman instead of Scherzer they would be pursuing Baez . The only thing I like about not signing Baez is that it shows that the inmates are not running the asylum, Lindor cannot tell Cohen who to sign. I am also not sure that a Baez -Lindor pairing is good clubhouse chemistry for the rest of the team.
    How am I gonna remember that…it was like 30 years before I was born!!

I mean, I saw that trade as a joke from the day it happened. Mets sold low on a top prospect who was coming off of surgery. They could’ve traded Mauricio or somebody and had gotten back somebody under contract or worth more. Between losing PCA and Rocker, the Mets farm really took a hit mid summer. Baez was a redundant move and was only acquired because McNeil and Lindor didn’t get along. I would honestly put that trade in the stratosphere of being as bad as the Cano deal. At least Diaz provided surplus value, and Canó was a plus player when not suspended.

I would’ve been fine with Baez on a Cespedes deal but I knew there was no chance of that happening. Oh well, I rather McNeil be given the rightful opportunity to start.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Meh, losing Baez doesn’t bother me much. Escobar will give us his offensive output. Not sure they will keep McNeil but seems more likely now and he’s not exactly a bad player.

I actually think the Mets saw the absolute best Javy Baez can do at the plate. The way he approaches hitting makes me think it’s all downhill from here for him.

Yup Escobar will give you similar offensive numbers so he replaces Baez.
    Canha replaces Conforto. Mets are better offensively based on Marte alone.

And yes I think that whole better plate discipline by Baez was a mirage of sorts, SSS thing.

Their will be guys worth signing to those type of deals in the future. If it was not for the fact that they would lose the 14th over all pick I would go hard after Correa.

Whatever they were planning on giving Baez they should turn around and try to get Bryant with it. I don’t think this offense is where it should be. We all saw what happened last year with certain players and no one is a lock to have a good year.

You have at least a 2 year window maybe 3. Don’t fall short of going all in. Obviously we shouldn’t match 7 years for Baez, but Bryant makes a ton of sense right now.

Page 65 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast