Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    So if the Mets match whatever another team is offering, Stroman will stay?
    I think stroman has a target price in mind and probably do a round robin type of thing with multiple teams to see who matches, exceeds or gets closest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I donít think it is, but I think the Mets will go hard after Max and if they canít get him they will look into Stroman and others, problem may be will they be there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many are predicting that Scherzer may get 3 years $120M. I don't see the Mets doing that, especially with Degrom making less and his approaching opt out option.

I wonder if Kershaw could be signed by the Mets. MLB rumors is predicting 1 year $20M, but I think the Mets could work out a multi year deal with him, either two years or three years and bring down the annual salary some. Kershaw may be a health risk and that is something to consider. But there also may be a lot of upside. Surprised he didn't get a QO and the Dodgers have not moved to re-sign him yet. But its a thought.

On a one year deal, this would be a wash or replacement of Syndergaard. Unlike Syndergaard, Kershaw did pitch a lot in 2021, and he pitched very effectively, albeit he had some issues in the second half. Heck, if teams are willing to sign pitchers who either didn't pitch or made a cameo appearance in 2021, Kershaw is a better bet. Lots of risk but lots of upside. Mets need to take a gamble now and then IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    So if the Mets match whatever another team is offering, Stroman will stay?
    No, he would choose either the Mets or the other team which offered the most money. He may also apply a COLA to make his final decision

2 years 35 mil for Kershaw sounds good but the Dodgers might match that. We'd have to blow their offer away to have a shot.

There's some good players we need to look into hard that didn't get or couldn't get a QO. Desclafani and Matz for example... We should be able to have a good off-season without giving up the #14 pick.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 11-19-2021 at 10:40 AM.

After Noahís brilliant first two seasons, heís only made 66 starts over the past 5 years. Eclipsing 30 starts in just one season.

His fastball is too straight and he canít stay healthy. Sucks that it ended the way it did after such a promising start.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    After Noahís brilliant first two seasons, heís only made 66 starts over the past 5 years. Eclipsing 30 starts in just one season.

His fastball is too straight and he canít stay healthy. Sucks that it ended the way it did after such a promising start.

He never seemed to make the effort to become more of a pitching strategist rather just a hard thrower. His obstinance impacted his health and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    2 years 35 mil for Kershaw sounds good but the Dodgers might match that. We'd have to blow their offer away to have a shot.
    Well if the Dodgers really wanted him they could have just given him a QO and pay him only $18.4M if he accepted. So I don't see the sense of the Dodgers bidding against the Mets when they could have just had him with the QO.

However, it does raise questions why the Dodgers chose not to give him a QO. If the Mets actually were able to sign him they need to do a really exhaustive physical examination on him.

But the Mets should at least kick the tires on this one.

Yanks DFA Clint Frazier

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yanks DFA Clint Frazier

Saw that. Somebody will pick him up. I wonder, can he be drafted in Rule V, assuming nobody makes a waiver claim.

I guess the Mets didn't make any roster moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    No, he would choose either the Mets or the other team which offered the most money. He may also apply a COLA to make his final decision
    He could just as easily have a PEPSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Coke or Pepsi?

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    There's some good players we need to look into hard that didn't get or couldn't get a QO. Desclafani and Matz for example... We should be able to have a good off-season without giving up the #14 pick.
    . Agreed. After throwing away last years draft we canít afford to lose a top 15 pick. Mets have a unique opportunity to replenish the farm system with two top 15 picks and two compensation picks in a deep draft class

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    Coke or Pepsi?
    Seriously, though....the thing about taxes is overated when it comes to MLB players. A player has to file a tax return in every tax jurisdiction that he plays in, except those states and municipalities that have no income tax, e.g., Texas and Florida. So you would only be liable as a Met for roughly half of your income earned as a MLB player, unless of course your residence was NY.

If, for example, you resided in NJ, or even Connecticut, you would only be liable for NY state tax on the portion of what you earned while playing in NY, and you would not be liable any NYC tax. Naturally, as a resident of say NJ all of your income would be taxable, except NJ provides for a credit paid to other tax jurisdictions.

There is also a way of circumventing some of the tax liability. When a player signs a multiyear contract, there is often a signing bonus. IIRC, a signing bonus is not taxable in NY because the bonus was not earned for services performed. Naturally, it would not make any difference if your residence was in NY, but if you lived anywhere else, the bonus would not be taxable for NY state purposes (but would certainly be income for federal and whatever state the player resides in, assuming it has an income tax).

So when we talk contracts in terms of the tax implication of playing in one city or another, this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that MLB players get taxed wherever they play, if the jurisdiction actually has an income tax.

So playing in say Florida, you would still owe tax, both in other places you played and to the jurisdiction where your residence is located. The best scenario is to live in Florida while also playing in Florida, but would still have some tax liability in other states.

IN the end, I don't think players actually consider the tax implications in their decisions to sign with one team or another, largely because the tax differences on not that substantial, for the reasons I mentioned.

Page 23 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast