Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: games.

oh, here's a fun one from june 2016:
    hextall's been here 2 years and i'm not sure why anyone would expect him to go out and get good players. how many of his trades or free agent signings have improved our active roster? neuvirth and del zotto were good gets, but del zotto is only here because of timonen's blood clots and neuvirth is the random backup goalie who happened to have a good year.

hextall's other acquisitions: schultz, medvedev, umberger, gagner, bellemare, white, emery, colaiacovo

hextall views trades and free agency as last resorts. building through the draft is a good idea, but somewhere along the line, he's decided to only build the team through draft.

we could talk about lucic or eriksson or okposo or eberle or galchenyuk or pacioretti or any number of other players, but until hextall shows the interest and ability to acquire those kinds of players, we're just wasting oxygen.

hextall is in year 3 of a 5 year plan. it does not seem like he's interested in changing the way he does business, so the best we can hope for is that his draft picks work out and that we only waste half of giroux's prime instead of all of it.
    oops.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    btw:

i'm not claiming to be a "realist" here. i'm not claiming that i'm perfectly right about every negative thing i say about this team.

i am a pessimist. i've been pessimistic about this team for at least the last 5 years, and i'm probably going to stay this way until the team proves me wrong on the ice.
    That's fair enough. I think the fact that we replaced a struggling Myers with Ellis and added Risto (and Yandle) in place of Ghost (who never cracks the lineup for more than 5 games here anymore) was a vast improvement. Again though, up-and-coming does NOT equate to being a young overall team. It is a team that is putting or has put together an identity and is ready to pursue. It can be argued that this team is only a couple offensive weapons away from being a true contender.

In Response to: "okay, so, everyone just needs to get significantly better, and then we'll be fine.
    but what's your plan when that doesn't happen? and why is *that* plan different from every other organization in the NHL?"

That wasn't the point. Also, they only need to be marginally better because each one's deficit fed into a larger overall disaster last year. The talent is obviously there and THAT is why the plan is different from every other organization in the NHL.

In Response to: "31 other teams have prospects, too. our situation is not special."

This literally defeats even discussing the youth point altogether if that's your view. That's one of the first times I think I've seen you just spew off a nonsensical statement like that. Now if you were to say none of these prospects have potential, that's a discussion point (I don't think either of us believe that no matter how pessimistic you are being lol). You could say that our prospect pool isn't that strong, which is a fair point. That said, that's not relevant to the overall point I'm trying to make. Let's just agree to disagree and change topic.

Again, fair enough that you're a pessimistic person and that's the reason for your negative view, but I feel a more realistic view is that this team is likely a top 3/4 team in the division. It's possible we end up having to blow things up completely as well, but I'd like to be optimistic going into a season and try to enjoy a few games before calling it quits. Hockey is back...for a full season hopefully...let's be excited.
    Last edited by LLMunchie619; 10-12-2021 at 08:43 PM.

This literally defeats even discussing the youth point altogether if that's your view. That's one of the first times I think I've seen you just spew off a nonsensical statement like that. Now if you were to say none of these prospects have potential, that's a discussion point (I don't think either of us believe that no matter how pessimistic you are being lol). You could say that our prospect pool isn't that strong, which is a fair point. That said, that's not relevant to the overall point I'm trying to make. Let's just agree to disagree and change topic.
    that's half of the point i was getting at. it's not that these prospects don't have potential, it's that every organization has guys like wade allison hanging around. it's not that the overall pool of talent isn't strong, it's that the individual players within that pool do not appear to be likely difference makers.

i'm not as plugged in as i used to be, but from what i can tell, our top prospects are not the NHL's top prospects. our farm system is not one of the NHL's top farm systems. i'm actually gonna look this up, now. i just found a random (semi-credible) list of the NHL's top prospects, and here's what they said about our guys:

28: Morgan Frost, Philadelphia Flyers
    Now that the Flyers have moved on from Nolan Patrick, Morgan Frost gets the pressure of being the “first-line center of the future” in Philadelphia. He got a chance to fill the role when Sean Couturier went down to injury during the second game of the 2020-21 season. However, he was lost for the season with a dislocated shoulder just two games later. Frost is the quintessential play-making center who can both score and set up his teammates. He reads the play quickly in all three zones of the ice and reacts well. This could be a make-or-break season for the 22-year-old center as he looks to live up to the expectations of being a first-round pick.– GB
    31: Cam York, Philadelphia Flyers
    Another smaller defenseman, Cam York makes up for his lack of size with what he can do on the offensive side of the puck. He had 20 points in 24 NCAA games with the University of Michigan and even made a quick jump the Flyers’ NHL squad in 2020-21, but didn’t hit the scoresheet. Still, in eight games with the AHL’s Lehigh Valley Phantoms, he had two goals and five points and should find a permanent home with the Philadelphia Flyers in the next two seasons as a second or third pairing defenseman until he gets his footing under him.– AF
    55: Tyson Foerster, Philadelphia Flyers
    A big-bodied center, Tyson Foerster dominated the OHL in 2019-20 with 80 points in 62 regular season games for the Barrie Colts. Making the jump to the AHL in 2020-21, he scored 10 goals in 24 games and that’s from a player that is also known for his playmaking abilities. He has great instincts in his own end and that kind of ability could push him over the top when it comes to the Flyers’ depth chart. He’s still just 19 years old and while it will likely take a couple more seasons for him to be a full-time Flyer, they’ve got a significant piece down the middle when it comes to Foerster.– AF
    and for the system as a whole. 7th is a bit higher than where i expected the flyers' system would be rated (i'd have guessed 10th-12th), but the difference there could be due to guys who are further away from the NHL, like andrae, brink, tuomaala, etc.

7) Philadelphia Flyers
    Previous Ranking: 8

Top Five Prospects: Emil Andrae, Bobby Brink, Tyson Foerster, Morgan Frost, Cam York (*this is in alphabetical order*)

Key Graduates/Subtractions: N/A

Key Additions: Samu Tuomaala

Despite a disappointing season, the Philadelphia Flyers still have a lot to look forward to with a prospect pool as talented as theirs. Remaining in the top-10 as a result of their scouting team is a good sign that they want to remain competitive for years to come.

Morgan Frost leads the way as he’s an impressive play-making centre with great hands, speed and edges. He’s definitely going to be in the fold for a centre spot and it wouldn’t surprise me if he makes a lasting impression on the coaching staff.

They also have a strong offensive weapon in the palm of their hand with Tyson Foerster. A right-handed shot, he boasts a powerful shot, especially on his one-timer as he likes to set up in the same office as Alex Ovechkin. He had 10 goals in 24 games with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in the AHL and continues to impress showing his goal scoring abilities.

The Flyers defense is led by the highly mobile and offensively talented Cam York who was drafted 14thoverall in 2019. A strong passer with great awareness, he isn’t afraid to join in and lead the rush. York had a really great 2020-21 season with 20 points in 24 games on a stacked Michigan team, captained Team USA to a gold medal at the World Juniors and had a successful stint with the Phantoms.

Emil Andrae has a work ethic and level of compete that sets him apart from many other defenders his size (5-foot-9). He’s always committed to putting his best foot forward and never takes a shift off.

Even without a first round pick in 2021, the Flyers continued their trend of finding great talent by selecting high flying Finnish sniper Samu Tuomaala. He has blinding speed and will make a dangerous scoring duo with Foerster in the future.

fair enough that you're a pessimistic person and that's the reason for your negative view
    on the whole, i actually track more towards cynic than pessimist. i'm pessimistic here because this particular organization has repeatedly failed to convert prospects into core contributors, and because our young players, once they get here, have tended to stagnate when they get here.

over/under:

5 more seasons for ovechkin

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    over/under:

5 more seasons for ovechkin
    Push. That's the year he breaks the record and retires.

Over/under
    40 games played for Morgan Frost

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Push. That's the year he breaks the record and retires.

Over/under
    40 games played for Morgan Frost
    damn that's tough...ima go over because its what I want lmao

over/under: provorov with 35 points

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    damn that's tough...ima go over because its what I want lmao

over/under: provorov with 35 points
    Under. Don't think the PP time is there anymore. 30? Mostly even strength.

O/U Hart 55 games played

Under. Don't think the PP time is there anymore. 30? Mostly even strength.

O/U Hart 55 games played
    Gunna go under with 52 games

O/U flyers with 4.5 20g scorers

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Gunna go under with 52 games

O/U flyers with 4.5 20g scorers
    Over? Couts-Farabee-JVR-Konecny-Giroux-Cam.
    Six guys with a legit shot.

O/U .500 pts% for games Martin Jones starts.

Over? Couts-Farabee-JVR-Konecny-Giroux-Cam.
    Six guys with a legit shot.

O/U .500 pts% for games Martin Jones starts.
    I'm going to go over. For some reason the Flyers tend to play better defense in front of their backups and Jones has the ability to play as well as Moose did.

O/U Farabee gets 29.5 goals in the regular season (he was on pace for 29.8 last year in an 82 game season)

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    I'm going to go over. For some reason the Flyers tend to play better defense in front of their backups and Jones has the ability to play as well as Moose did.

O/U Farabee gets 29.5 goals in the regular season (he was on pace for 29.8 last year in an 82 game season)
    I'm going under at 27

O/U hart with 30 wins

Trying to release the Kraken on us and they took the L for it!

https://youtu.be/WZJumax6IsM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234