Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which player islands are you on?

Instead of stars, let's talk about the little guys, the disappointments, the hard cases. Here's a definition of a fantasy island, courtesy of The Ringer's Jason Concepcion:
    An NBA island is where fans of like ideals gather to profess their belief in players who are not surefire stars or rotation players, but, also, not easy-to-mark busts. These hopeful pilgrims carry the faith long after statistics, court time, and the eye test label a player a disappointment.
    - Jason Concepcion, The Ringer
    Whose island do you still own real estate on? Maybe give us a starting five of underperformers whose real estate you still believe in.

I gave away two of my starting five in the OP, but I've got a range of guys:

• Ben Simmons: The shooting is what it is, but a lot of his issues are tied to Philly. I think Simmons could terrorize the league surrounded by better shooting.
    • Shake Milton: From what I hear, he got demoted after not trying as hard as Maxey. But Milton has the stroke, along with a 7-foot wingspan that could make him a disruptive 3-and-D guy.
    • Malik Beasley: The dude can score 20 a game and shoot 40% from three. He needs to be on a team with a strong defensive culture, and where he hasn't pulled an AR-15 on anyone.
    • Lauri Markkanen: His defense and rebounding suck for a 7-footer, but Markkanen is athletic and rangy enough to play at small forward with Mobley and Allen. I could see him scoring around 20 a game in Cleveland.
    • Jusuf Nurkic: He's dealt with significant injuries for three seasons now. But when healthy and more engaged, Nurkic turns the Blazers into a passable defensive team. With Nance backing him up, Portland could finally have a good front court.

Not sure if they all quality as disappointing but I’ll go with

Zach Collins
    Larry Nance
    Spencer Dinwiddie
    TJ Warren
    Cedi Osman

Also Obi Toppin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 09-25-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Ben Simmons

Taurean Prince, I don't think he gets his due as a 3nD guy.

Mikal Bridges, he's looked at as the 4th guy in PHX. I think he could be the 3rd guy on a championship team or even get himself into the spot of a 2nd guy.

Marcus Smart, came into the league with high expectations on offense, turned himself into a great defender, evolved his offense.

Myles Turner, I think the emergence of Sabonis made people forget Turner is an elite rim protector, great roll man, and has good touch on the 3-ball.

All in all my player island group makes a good starting lineup:
    Smart
    Bridges
    Prince
    Simmons
    Turner

Great defense. Good enough on offense. This is a 2nd round/conference finals starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Ben Simmons

Taurean Prince, I don't think he gets his due as a 3nD guy.

Mikal Bridges, he's looked at as the 4th guy in PHX. I think he could be the 3rd guy on a championship team or even get himself into the spot of a 2nd guy.

Marcus Smart, came into the league with high expectations on offense, turned himself into a great defender, evolved his offense.

Myles Turner, I think the emergence of Sabonis made people forget Turner is an elite rim protector, great roll man, and has good touch on the 3-ball.

All in all my player island group makes a good starting lineup:
    Smart
    Bridges
    Prince
    Simmons
    Turner

Great defense. Good enough on offense. This is a 2nd round/conference finals starting lineup.
    I like all these guys too. Like my guys I don’t know if they can be called disappointments. I think Smart will have a big year. I could see Turner being more valuable with a better fit though his shooting is a bit overrated- even without being a very good 3 point threat he brings a lot. Bridges is just good imo.

Last edited by ewing; 09-26-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I always tend to like the guys who are good (not great) all-around players with high BBIQ who just want to win rather than stars in one area or another. Can I include a rookie?

Denzel Valentine
    Scottie Barnes
    Nic Batum
    Luguentz Dort
    Malcolm Brogdon

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I like all these guys too. Like my guys I don’t know if they can be called disappointments. I think Smart will have a big year. I could see Turner being more valuable with a better fit though his shooting is a bit overrated- even without being a very good 3 point threat he brings a lot. Bridges is just good imo.

I include Bridges and Smart just based on draft position and “spot” on their team.

Dinwiddie- he is just so damn good.
    Gary Harris- my love for him has never faded. Ton of injuries have derailed his career. He is awesome defensively, and showed at one time a capable shooter.
    Hayward- still think he is a capable one but an awesome 2.
    Draymond-I still love his passion and his IQ.
    Zubac-he is limited by the team he is on in my opinion. He is capable of much more.

Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    Dinwiddie- he is just so damn good.
    Gary Harris- my love for him has never faded. Ton of injuries have derailed his career. He is awesome defensively, and showed at one time a capable shooter.
    Hayward- still think he is a capable one but an awesome 2.
    Draymond-I still love his passion and his IQ.
    Zubac-he is limited by the team he is on in my opinion. He is capable of much more.
    I put Zubac in the same space I put Nurkic, Kanter, Boban, Robin Lopez, and a few other centers. They aren’t limited by the team. They are limited by a style that the NBA doesn’t value anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I get everyone on your list except Bridges, who hasn't really disappointed. Maybe he's coming on slower than other guys from his draft class, but he's consistently growing into the third piece behind Booker and Ayton. If necessary, I'm sure the Suns would jettison Paul in order to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I always tend to like the guys who are good (not great) all-around players with high BBIQ who just want to win rather than stars in one area or another. Can I include a rookie?

Denzel Valentine
    Scottie Barnes
    Nic Batum
    Luguentz Dort
    Malcolm Brogdon
    Valentine Island is a deep cut. I'll point out that he's already 27.
    I get everyone on your list except Dort, who showed up big in Oklahoma last season. I don't peg him as any more than a spark plug off the bench, but he hasn't disappointed at all for a 21-year-old.

It's impossible for me to not keep rooting for Markelle Fultz

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post

Denzel Valentine
    Scottie Barnes
    Nic Batum
    Luguentz Dort
    Malcolm Brogdon
    Toronto is hoping Barnes will be a star.

JV would have been a hall of famer if not for Casey.

I still think that the keys to the Jazz franchise should have been handed to AK-47....instead we got Boozer and never ran a play for AK again for the rest of his career in Utah after maxing him out. I'll never understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    I still think that the keys to the Jazz franchise should have been handed to AK-47....instead we got Boozer and never ran a play for AK again for the rest of his career in Utah after maxing him out. I'll never understand it.
    this is a good one. 2004 AK47 was just an insane player, and somehow carried that forgettable Jazz team to a winning record

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast