Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giancarlo Stanton has a fair contract

Giancarlo Stanton has a fair contract
    It likely wonít stay that way in the future, but it matches his current output.

By Erin McGarvey Sep 20, 2021, 10:30am EDT

Stanton, as youíre likely aware, has yet to surpass his 6.8 fWAR 2014 season since being traded to the Yankees. His best season in New York, 2018, he was worth 4.3 WAR. Thatís an excellent player, but well behind his career best 7.3 in 2017, his MVP season.

Yankee fans have noted Stantonís decline in value since that peak. That he is playing worse than he did at his best in Miami, and less frequently due to injuries, is undeniable ó however, that does not mean that his contract is truly overvalued, especially considering when he signed it and the players that have surpassed his total value since that point.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2021/...fernando-tatis

What say you PSD faithful?

stanton and judge are the only two yankees producing bigtime.. everyone else is under performing ...

stanton is finally staying healthy and is producing..

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I found the writing in that to be like reading a phishing scam.
    No. He isn't worth it.

6 years of inflation since he signed makes up 9 mil? On what planet does the writer live?

Sorry Doc, in no way am I shooting the messenger but opinion pieces like this are becoming stupid.
    Fangraphs decided a war of 1 was worth 9 mil? That's the writers baseline for a claim? I would question if they have watched the last 3 years.

Stanton is in this moment living up to his deal. If he bats 275, hits 35-40+ Hr drives in 100+ has an OBP of 350+, all of next year, then we can talk about living up to a deal for a season of that 10 year deal.

It's comical that the writer goes on to say, Stanton will likely be overpaid towards the end of the deal.

So if you are breaking Stanton's entire tenure as a Yankees down to a microcosm of the last month and a half? I would say yes. He's worth it. But to suggest he's worth his contract based on that is ludicrous

Ignorance is bliss

If he hits 9 HRs in the final 9 games and another dozen in the playoffs and the Yankees win the World Series, then Yes, he's worth the contract (certainly for this year).

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    If he hits 9 HRs in the final 9 games and another dozen in the playoffs and the Yankees win the World Series, then Yes, he's worth the contract (certainly for this year).

I would have to change my perspective in that light.

On this note, if he was impactful in 2 seasons that the Yankees won a WS, he is completely worth it, no questions asked.
    1 title and that performance? Worst case, I couldn't argue the contract was bad.

Ignorance is bliss

What Clown and Johnnyi,said.
    Thanx fellas you saved me a whole lot of typing
    I will say,he's been a different player since he's played the outfield

I think he's probably worth the 22m AAV the Yanks are paying him. Is he worth the whole deal that he got, hell no. I don't care who the player is, not many are worth 30M plus AAV, especially for 10+ yrs

I know this has been mentioned, but he has been a much, much better player since he's being playing in the OF

IMO, the fangraph analysis of 1 WAR being worth 9M is pretty high, there is no way a 3 war guy would be worth 27m AAV

The Yankees are paying a reduced rate, and in that context, Stanton has been fine when healthy. The Stanton bashing has been silly and overblown. Its nice to see him proving everyone wrong. He's a streaky player. That is not new.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    The Yankees are paying a reduced rate, and in that context, Stanton has been fine when healthy. The Stanton bashing has been silly and overblown. Its nice to see him proving everyone wrong. He's a streaky player. That is not new.
    Agree. Imo at $22M he is a bargain comparatively. He has carried this team down the stretch. His time in the OF is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    I have to admit that i was as frustrated with Stanton heading into the summer, as any player on our team. He was flailing away at pitches 18 inches out of the K zone. He has been a 100% different player since he started playing in the field. This is what they Yanks were hoping that Judge and Stanton would be when they traded for him
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Agree. Imo at $22M he is a bargain comparatively. He has carried this team down the stretch. His time in the OF is a bonus.
    I agree as well, 22M AAV isn't huge for the kinda player he is. He was huge in the playoffs last yr and has carried this team, with Judge, all summer.

Anytime a player of our has a huge series against Boston like he did this weekend, he takes a big jump up my favorite player list.

2 8th inning HRS to put the game out of reach, unreal . Those 2 hrs were a thing of beauty

we all forget how good stanton was in last years playoff..stanton was good his first year with the yanks.. but this almost 2 month stretch is the best stanton has played since he won the mvp with the marlins..

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I have to admit that i was as frustrated with Stanton heading into the summer, as any player on our team. He was flailing away at pitches 18 inches out of the K zone. He has been a 100% different player since he started playing in the field. This is what they Yanks were hoping that Judge and Stanton would be when they traded for him

I agree as well, 22M AAV isn't huge for the kinda player he is. He was huge in the playoffs last yr and has carried this team, with Judge, all summer.

Anytime a player of our has a huge series against Boston like he did this weekend, he takes a big jump up my favorite player list.

2 8th inning HRS to put the game out of reach, unreal . Those 2 hrs were a thing of beauty
    I love that he is playing in the OF now, and I think he always wanted to.

But with players like Stanton, you have to remember that they are streaky. You hope the streak hits during key times and the playoffs, but you can't really assure that. For example, Jeter was a notorious prime time player. But he really wasn't. His playoff stats are basically a mirror of his regular season stats throughout their career.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

The most frustrating part this season has not been pitching... the Yanks are near the best in the AL... scary..

No, it's without G and Judge... this offense is dead...with the likes of LeMahieu, Rizzo, Sanchez, and the rest.. this team should be hitting way better... but it's not. Sanchez and Torres looked only 2 years ago like they would be perrennial all-stars... lately, they can't hit.. they can't play D.. WTF happened? Gio has been hurt to this point.. Gardy's best days (which were never really great anyway) are clearly in history... Voit came back strong but has since disappeared... This team outside of G and Judge need to wake up and get back to hitting.. or this team will be out before we know it.... The pitching... Scary but I'm not worried.. they're actually healthy... HTH did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    The most frustrating part this season has not been pitching... the Yanks are near the best in the AL... scary..

No, it's without G and Judge... this offense is dead...with the likes of LeMahieu, Rizzo, Sanchez, and the rest.. this team should be hitting way better... but it's not. Sanchez and Torres looked only 2 years ago like they would be perrennial all-stars... lately, they can't hit.. they can't play D.. WTF happened? Gio has been hurt to this point.. Gardy's best days (which were never really great anyway) are clearly in history... Voit came back strong but has since disappeared... This team outside of G and Judge need to wake up and get back to hitting.. or this team will be out before we know it.... The pitching... Scary but I'm not worried.. they're actually healthy... HTH did that happen?
    You're not the first to ask that series of questions. If i had told you are pitching was going to be at the top of the AL and all the major piece had avoided any long injuries, i bet you would have bet we'd have run away with the AL.

I truly believe Torres biggest problem has been playing out of position for the last 2yrs. If he's always worried about his defense, its hard to have a balanced approach on both sides of the ball. I really hope that he preforms well down the stretch now that he's back to 2nd.

The offense has and still is extremely frustrating, the talent is all there, they just haven't preformed. If it hadn't been for Judge and Stanton we'd probably be looking at a .500 season

I give huge amounts of credit to Blake, Cressey and Briend for what they have done with the pitching all the way through the system and for keeping them mostly healthy. So many pitchers have taken huge steps forward this yr its been impressive. Now that everyone is back healthy we have more good pitching options than we have spots available. Hopefully we can continue pitching well as long as we're in it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast