Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Results 826 to 833 of 833
  1. #826
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,952
    The book is far from written on Lindor. Mets fans have short memories. Many players struggle here their first year before they go back to being themselves. It happened with Piazza. It also happened with Beltran. Both had very solid Mets careers. Iím bullish on Lindor.

    With respect to Eppler I truly hope heís completely in charge of all baseball operations as is being reported. That should include all player acquisitions, contracts, choosing his assistants, control over scouting, control over who to hire as coaches and the type of baseball philosophy they want to imprint on the organization. It should also include complete control of the minor leagues.

    I just want whoever is hired to have full ability to run things they way he/she sees fit. No interference from Alderson. You canít judge someone in a job like this unless you hand them the keys and say ďok youíre driving and thatís that.Ē


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  2. #827
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47,427
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    The book is far from written on Lindor. Mets fans have short memories. Many players struggle here their first year before they go back to being themselves. It happened with Piazza. It also happened with Beltran. Both had very solid Mets careers. Iím bullish on Lindor.

    With respect to Eppler I truly hope heís completely in charge of all baseball operations as is being reported. That should include all player acquisitions, contracts, choosing his assistants, control over scouting, control over who to hire as coaches and the type of baseball philosophy they want to imprint on the organization. It should also include complete control of the minor leagues.

    I just want whoever is hired to have full ability to run things they way he/she sees fit. No interference from Alderson. You canít judge someone in a job like this unless you hand them the keys and say ďok youíre driving and thatís that.Ē


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. But again, I remain skeptical. If Eppier is indeed running things, what the hell is Sandy doing hanging around? Why is he still lurking?

    As an analogy, itís kind of like Steve Cohenís first attempt to buy the Mets, where everything seemed to be a done deal, until Jeffrey announced that theyíd still be managing the team for the next three years. To which Steve laughed and said, no you wonít, F U, and the deal went bye bye.

    I dunno, maybe Sandy can be MLBís best paid office boy and hand holder (Stevieís) while letting the big boys do their thing?

    Stay tuned.

  3. #828
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,969
    All great thoughts. I think Alderson needs to retire, semi-retire or be retired, lol. He can be on the Mets board of trustees or directors or whatever that nonsensical board that Chris Christie is on. I think Alderson has a small ownership stake in the Mets already.

    His role as the baseball exec who was brought in to kind of grease the skids for Cohen's ownership approval was the biggest accomplishment he has had in the past 9 years barring just the 2015 season.

  4. #829
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    343
    Mets reportedly will give Eppler a four year contract.
    I'm guessing that is what Eppler negotiated and that the Mets were only willing to give one year deals to some of the other candidates.

    I don't think we will hear the names of Stearns anymore, including a year from now.
    In the end I think it worked out for the Mets. Not their first choice, but still a solid move nonetheless.

  5. #830
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    44,166
    If Eppler was only hired as GM, its very likely you hear Stearns name again next offseason. I highly doubt him they move Eppler up the ladder unless he has some kind of extraordinary results this season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-17-2021 at 07:30 PM.

  6. #831
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,058
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Mets reportedly will give Eppler a four year contract.
    I'm guessing that is what Eppler negotiated and that the Mets were only willing to give one year deals to some of the other candidates.

    I don't think we will hear the names of Stearns anymore, including a year from now.
    In the end I think it worked out for the Mets. Not their first choice, but still a solid move nonetheless.
    Supposedly Eppler best friend in baseball is Stearns .

  7. #832
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,969
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    If Eppler was only hired as GM, its very likely you hear Stearns name again next offseason. I highly doubt him they move Eppler up the ladder unless he has some kind of extraordinary results this season.
    And the beginning of his measurement period is right now. He needs to show success this offseason especially with the Angels stealing Thor away and Boras stealing Conforto away.

    1. Top of rotation starter since Thor is gone and who knows how much deGrom will pitch this coming season.
    2. A closer to either replace or work in tandem with Edwin Diaz (maybe bring back Brad Hand in that role).
    3. An outfielder preferably a CF to replace Conforto allowing Nimmo to move to a corner spot
    4. A third baseman of the highest caliber namely Bryant.
    5. Bring back Loup
    6. A mid-rotation starter with solid major league experience - bringing back Matz might be ok.

    And in the meantime moving some pieces that will be under utilized in 2022, namely Dom Smith, JD Davis and maybe Jeff McNeil. Moving these pieces wisely might yield a mid-rotation starter or improve the bullpen even more.

    I hope he is out there working already and not drowning himself in champagne.

  8. #833
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Supposedly Eppler best friend in baseball is Stearns .
    I still don't think Stearns will ever be available to the Mets. Like I said before, if Stearns were really interested I don't think the owner would have stood in his way. And...I'm sure when his contract is up he will get a new one from Attanasio.

    I think when he comes in Eppler will operate as both GM and POBO.

    Things have changed in MLB. In the early part of the century (1920's and earlier), the owner often managed the team, both on the field and in the FO. IN the 1930s thru early 1960s, the President of the club was the GM and POBO. Recall George Weiss was the President of the Mets and its GM. In fact, I don't recall the Mets ever having a GM and a POBO. In the 1970s, there was a GM and a President of the club. Now we have a President, POBO, and GM.

    Remember when the 1B coach was the hitting coach, there was only a pitching coach and a 3B coach, and no bench coach. Later, we saw a separate hitting coach and a BP coach. Then even later, we saw a bench coach and an assistant hitting coach, and I believe also a BP catcher (coach). Now we also have a quality control coach.

    More jobs for people.

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •