Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    In the Alderson/Beane system, does it make the slightest bit of difference who sits in the managerís chair?

Bob Melvin

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I have to presume that Alderson/Cohen would want to resort to cronyism, just for the fact that itís easier to vet and the familiarity aspect has some benefits.

Callaway, Porter, and to a lesser degree - Scott, were all outside hires. Considering the shitstorm that is the media, Iím sure the Mets would want somebody who is both qualified and has a good reputation, for both manager and GM/POBO.

So Iím gonna go out on a limb and say the next manager/GM/POBO will have to fit this criteria;

-Is already familiar with Alderson/Cohen or somebody high with respect in the Mets organization, so that they know theyíre not hiring somebody whoís going to be arrested for tax fraud or drug smuggling.

Ie, Beane or Owens. Or Bob Melvin for the manager side.

-Has already established themself in whatever role theyíre already in/has a track record of success, or at least prior experience in one of those roles. I doubt the Mets will want to go with an experiment this time around. No Porter, Rojas, Beltran, Scott, Callaway, etc.

Somebody like Stearns or Epstein. Maybe a Rick Renteria, Brad Ausmus, or something.

-Somebody without a cloud of controversy hanging over them in any aspect. I doubt they go after a Jeff Luhnow or bring back Beltran to manage.

-Truly understands new school baseball and doesnít build a roster or manage according to either feel or blind matchups. L/R splits are like the most basic analytic matchups that people defer to, but itís deeper than that.

All in all I think considerations will come down to the following names;

For manager: Bob Melvin, Rick Renteria, Brad Ausmus, Joe Maddon, Miguel Cairo, Will Venable, Joe McEwing, Joe Espada, and Kevin LongÖBeltran is a long shot.

For GM/POBO: Chernoff, Josh Byrnes, Chris Antonetti, Billy Owens, Billy Beane, David Stearns, Amiel Sawdaye, Theo Epstein, and Matt Arnold.

Iím probably missing a few names but Iím guessing this is how itíll all shake out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you suggesting that Beane isn't qualified? Seriously?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Are you suggesting that Beane isn't qualified? Seriously?
    Please tell me where I said that

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Please tell me where I said that

I have to presume that Alderson/Cohen would want to resort to cronyism

I have to presume that Alderson/Cohen would want to resort to cronyism
    Yeah. Which is why Beane is a perfect candidate.

Familiarity with Alderson, proven track record of winning, and has been in the game long enough for people to respect him.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Yeah. Which is why Beane is a perfect candidate.

Familiarity with Alderson, proven track record of winning, and has been in the game long enough for people to respect him.

I donít think you understand the meaning of cronyism.

He doesnít

Although Beane and Alderson have a good relationship, I'm not sure that means that much anymore. Cohen will keep Alderson on the business side and he certainly will listen to what Alderson's opinion is baseball wise. But by the same token, Alderson's track record of hiring is pretty damning and it wasn't a matter of cronyism since all those failed hirings were from the outside.

So while it is a positive that Beane and Alderson have worked together in the past and have a good relationship, I don't think that would preclude somebody like Stearns coming in and being given full responsibility with virtually no strings attached and virtually no responsibility for reporting to Alderson.

What I am saying in a nutshell is that I think in the eyes of Cohen Alderson's stock has diminished, but Cohen still has confidence in Alderson but only for the business side not for the baseball side.

The whole reason Beane is being suggested is because of his familiarity with Alderson, not because of his qualificationsÖ.IMO at least.

Beane IS qualified but I donít think that matters much. Might not be the best example of cronyism.

Hiring Bryn Alderson is however, cronyism.

Jeff Wilpon being the President of Baseball operations is Cronyism because the only reason he got the job was because of his dad.

Beane being one is a smart baseball move because he is qualified taking a franchise that was poorer than poor and making them a perennial winner.

Jeff Wilpon being the President of Baseball operations is Cronyism because the only reason he got the job was because of his dad.

Beane being one is a smart baseball move because he is qualified taking a franchise that was poorer than poor and making them a perennial winner.
    Jeff Wilpon being the POBO = Bryn Alderson being an assistant GM.

Beane is qualified but hasnít won **** with the Aís. Whether or not thatís his fault is up in the air but fact is, heís being considered because of his ties to Alderson. Itís one of the first things mentioned in virtually any article about him.

And all this time I thought it was because of his background as a minor league catcher.

Jeff Wilpon being the POBO = Bryn Alderson being an assistant GM.

Beane is qualified but hasnít won **** with the Aís. Whether or not thatís his fault is up in the air but fact is, heís being considered because of his ties to Alderson. Itís one of the first things mentioned in virtually any article about him.
    Bryn is a qualified scout, promoted to Director of Professional Scouting by your favorite GM, Brodie.

Quit while you're ahead.

Bryn is a qualified scout, promoted to Director of Professional Scouting by your favorite GM, Brodie.

Quit while you're ahead.
    I thought Brodie sucked?

Doesnít change that Alderson was the one to promote Bryn.

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast