Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 833
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    108,769

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Letís see if they get who they want or they get their 5th choice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think they'll land one of those 3 guys named. Most likely Stearns because he is a Met fan and because he has the least amount of leverage. The opportunity to fix his favorite team and the money will probably lure him. Could be dead wrong on that but that's just how I see it shaking out.

    I'm fine with it if he does. He's a young guy (which that's the way baseball is trending anyways) and he's done a very good job in Milwaukee.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-20-2021 at 08:42 AM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    24,234
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I think they'll land one of those 3 guys named. Most likely Stearns because he is a Met fan and because he has the least amount of leverage. The opportunity to fix his favorite team and the money will probably lure him. Could be dead wrong on that but that's just how I see it shaking out.

    I'm fine with it if he does. He's a young guy (which that's the way baseball is trending anyways) and he's done a very good job in Milwaukee.
    David Stearns would honestly be a best case scenario. Problem is that it would most likely be a lateral move and the Mets wouldnít even be able to interview him. I donít see that happening.

    I also donít see the Athletics parting with Beane because heís been there so long, has ownership stake, and probably has a life set up for him in California. Melvin seems kind of pointless but I wouldnít be against itÖa manager with experience who also embraces analytics.

    Billy Owens still makes a ton of senseÖIím not sure why he didnít get the job the last time around but it would still make sense considering his Oakland ties, but if Cohen truly is the one running things, he might not care about Sandyís input or familiarity as much as he did last offseason.

    Epstein still seems like a long shot and Iím not crazy about bringing him in just because heís a sexy name.

    I feel like the smartest guys in baseball all have jobs already. Friedman, Zaidi, Neander, Bloom, and Stearns IMO are the smartest people in baseball, with a track record to show for it.

    Thad Levine and Chris Antonetti/Mike Chernoff are a few guys that I think will be heavily considered in the offseason.

    Jon Daniels was a Mets fan and Shehraz Rehman recently left the Rangers so maybe they come into play.

    Oh and donít be surprised if Beltran is given a job opportunity this offseason. **** it, let him be the hitting coach lol.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,938
    I don't get all the Theo hate. Yeah, I get his affiliations with people who have made some poor choices but the dude is a proven winner. Billy Beane hasn't won ****. He's made a small market team relevant but they've made the playoffs 11 times in his 24 years there and 3 of those times, they lost the 1 game WC.

    It's solid but nothing outstanding. Just get someone in here that knows what they are doing and let Alderson have as little input on baseball decisions as possible.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    9,855
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't get all the Theo hate. Yeah, I get his affiliations with people who have made some poor choices but the dude is a proven winner. Billy Beane hasn't won ****. He's made a small market team relevant but they've made the playoffs 11 times in his 24 years there and 3 of those times, they lost the 1 game WC.

    It's solid but nothing outstanding. Just get someone in here that knows what they are doing and let Alderson have as little input on baseball decisions as possible.
    Iím all for Theo but I think itís fair to want him to be carefully vetted based on the circus we had here with his cronies this year. If he checks the boxes give him whatever he wants heís option number 1 by a landslide.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    24,234
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't get all the Theo hate. Yeah, I get his affiliations with people who have made some poor choices but the dude is a proven winner. Billy Beane hasn't won ****. He's made a small market team relevant but they've made the playoffs 11 times in his 24 years there and 3 of those times, they lost the 1 game WC.

    It's solid but nothing outstanding. Just get someone in here that knows what they are doing and let Alderson have as little input on baseball decisions as possible.
    My problem with the POB or GM role is that people think itís one guy doing everything when thatís just not the case.

    What MTT said in his quoted post to you is another reason.

    Also, heís never won anything without tearing things down. I donít want to wait another 10 years. Not to mention, he doesnít have a good track record with free agent signings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47,427
    Iím thinking now about DR TRADE? Sham?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    52,610
    Theo being a part of the whole Porter thing is not a good look for Mr Cohen.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    24,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Theo being a part of the whole Porter thing is not a good look for Mr Cohen.
    Nope.

    Neither is keeping Addison Russell or trading for Chapman.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    14,242

    Heyman & Rosenthal hinting Beane to the Mets

    In nearly 500 career plate appearance in ďLate & CloseĒ situations Conforto has a 71 OPS+. (100 is average)

    He does not deserve a QO, period. Heíd be crazy not to take it if it was offered.

    The only situation, in his career, where he has over a 103 OPS+ is when the margin is greater than 4 runs. (Meaning when we are losing or winning by more than 4 runs).

    Iím tired of watching him go completely cold for long stretches of every season, or consistently come up small in big spots, I do not want him on the team next year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Letís see if they get who they want or they get their 5th choice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Itís going to be Beane. If not him it will be someone no one is looking at.

    No other self respecting baseball exec will come here while Alderson lingers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Nope.

    Neither is keeping Addison Russell or trading for Chapman.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trading for Chapman was a big part of the reason why the Cubs won the 2016 WS. I'm not buying this idea that Theo is going to be this pariah no one is going to engage with. If he told teams tomorrow that he wanted to be a team executive again, you would have more than half the league who would show significant interest and someone would pay him a small fortune to run their organization.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-20-2021 at 10:49 PM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    David Stearns would honestly be a best case scenario. Problem is that it would most likely be a lateral move and the Mets wouldnít even be able to interview him. I donít see that happening.

    I also donít see the Athletics parting with Beane because heís been there so long, has ownership stake, and probably has a life set up for him in California. Melvin seems kind of pointless but I wouldnít be against itÖa manager with experience who also embraces analytics.

    Billy Owens still makes a ton of senseÖIím not sure why he didnít get the job the last time around but it would still make sense considering his Oakland ties, but if Cohen truly is the one running things, he might not care about Sandyís input or familiarity as much as he did last offseason.

    Epstein still seems like a long shot and Iím not crazy about bringing him in just because heís a sexy name.

    I feel like the smartest guys in baseball all have jobs already. Friedman, Zaidi, Neander, Bloom, and Stearns IMO are the smartest people in baseball, with a track record to show for it.

    Thad Levine and Chris Antonetti/Mike Chernoff are a few guys that I think will be heavily considered in the offseason.

    Jon Daniels was a Mets fan and Shehraz Rehman recently left the Rangers so maybe they come into play.

    Oh and donít be surprised if Beltran is given a job opportunity this offseason. **** it, let him be the hitting coach lol.
    It would be a lateral move for Stearns, on the surface at least. But he would be coming to a bigger pond with a much greater challenge. Stearns grew up in NY and was a Mets fan growing up. The question is whether the owner would stand in the way of Stearns moving. The owner grew up in the Bronx, so I understand.

    If it were Stearns, it would probably have to be a move ala the one that brought Gil Hodges to the Mets. That is, where the Mets give up a player as a sort of compensation.

    I'm fine with Theo, but I think the better fit is Beane. Having said that, I would be fine with Stearns as well.
    With Stearns, you would not have to give up any ownership interest in the team, which would be required for Theo and Beane. But the Mets would have to lock Stearns up for a number of years at a good salary.

    From what I have read, Beane is ready and willing to jump ship in Oakland, but only to move to NY, principally the Mets. Otherwise, there is no reason for him to move. But apparently, from what I have read, he is inclined for a number of reasons to make the move, and he has a good relationship with Alderson.

    But, with Beane, it would be costly, albeit not as costly as going with Theo IMO.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    312
    Whether conforto deserves or does no deserve a QO is irrelevant. Personally, I don't make Conforto a QO, largely because there is no benefit in doing so. Nobody is going to sign Conforto for the 5 years and $50M that would yield the Mets draft compensation if they gave him a QO. So what is the point of giving him a QO? I do believe they can offer him a contract, not a QO, similar to what he is making this year. I don't believe he is required to declare FA. I think he can put it off another year. In any case, I don't see the Mets making him or Syndergaard a QO, and if either leaves, so be it.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    52,610
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Itís going to be Beane. If not him it will be someone no one is looking at.

    No other self respecting baseball exec will come here while Alderson lingers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No one wants to come here. NY is a toxic market with media and fans.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •