Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 833
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,895
    Oh. Yay. More Alderson.

    Yay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    108,769
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This would actually fit in well with the culture in todayís Met clubhouse.

    https://youtu.be/o9Q0kp8CMFQ
    Imagine though? Failed too Mets prospect leads the Mets to a WS win which would be his first after what 25 years of not being able to get one in Oakland.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47,427
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Oh. Yay. More Alderson.

    Yay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My first reaction.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    309
    I think Alderson is here to stay, but on the business side. Since Beane and Alderson have had a good relationship, I'd prefer Billy Beane. Yes, he could even get an ownership percentage. What the heck, Cohen would still have controlling interest.

    It would the be up to Beane who to hire as a GM, and who to hire to replace Rojas.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47,427
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    I think Alderson is here to stay, but on the business side. Since Beane and Alderson have had a good relationship, I'd prefer Billy Beane. Yes, he could even get an ownership percentage. What the heck, Cohen would still have controlling interest.

    It would the be up to Beane who to hire as a GM, and who to hire to replace Rojas.
    I heard Art Howe is still available.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,938
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I heard Art Howe is still available.
    I'm still trying to figure out what this weird fixation with Alderson is. I get the Wilpons did him no favors but he's made the playoffs twice in 9 years as an executive here. Like, great, he helped legitimize the sale of the Mets to Cohen in the eyes of the other owners but that's enough. Did he really need to be here in any decision making capacity this year? I feel like Zack Scott could have made this team an 80 game winner on his own.

    I get Cohen likes the guy but enough with Sandy. That's what scares me about them hiring a guy like Billy Beane. I know he has had his own success but there are strong ties there and you know Beane respects Sandy as a baseball guy so his influence will still be there.

    Obviously this team isn't cleaning house but I wish they would.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    108,769
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what this weird fixation with Alderson is. I get the Wilpons did him no favors but he's made the playoffs twice in 9 years as an executive here. Like, great, he helped legitimize the sale of the Mets to Cohen in the eyes of the other owners but that's enough. Did he really need to be here in any decision making capacity this year? I feel like Zack Scott could have made this team an 80 game winner on his own.

    I get Cohen likes the guy but enough with Sandy. That's what scares me about them hiring a guy like Billy Beane. I know he has had his own success but there are strong ties there and you know Beane respects Sandy as a baseball guy so his influence will still be there.

    Obviously this team isn't cleaning house but I wish they would.
    I think if Beane would ever come here he will have final say on anything, I am sure that Sandy would be in meetings but his say will not be final and he likely will just deal with the financial aspect. With that said that would still be a problem because he is a cheap dude as well and refuses to go the extra year for guys that deserve it.

    Mets will have to blow by the luxury tax because they simply donít have or will have the payroll flexibility to stay under and add everything they need to add to become a better team.

    They need to sign another top of rotation starter be that Resigning Stroman or going for somebody else, while keeping Syndergaard hoping next year he bounces back. They need depth and guys like Walker, Megill, Peterson and Carrasco give them that after those three mention. They also have a couple of under the radar prospects that had solid years and could be options to spot start next year.

    Now they either keep Conforto and if they do thatís a lot of money because being a Boras client he will not take the QO, but Mets can also go for other outfielders and I have stated that they should go for Marte.

    I do t think they should just dump Cano and I donít know if they will re-sign Baez and if they do thatís a lot of money, but if they canít get him go after Bryant for sure.

    They will have to re-sign Loup and go after other relievers as well, canít go with the same guys.

    All that will lead them to spend big and if they donít well we will have similar issues as this year.

    Now the WC is that they have guys like McNeil, Smith and Davis as trade bait so they can add pieces through that way.

    Finally a guy like Villar needs to be resigned as well simply for depth but I would not mind him as the everyday third baseman until one of the kids is ready if they decide to keep Baez and spend big someplace else.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,938
    Yeah I dont expect the Mets to be overly aggressive in trade because they just dont have a ton of assets and I dont think that's the direction of the franchise going forward. Not to mention guys like Smith, McNeil, even Davis don't have a ton of value. Although I do think you could package Davis in a deal for something. He's still a solid bat despite his inability to play 3rd base. I think you're right that Villar has probably played himself out of bench money so maybe he stays, maybe he goes.

    I think Conforto takes the QO. He has had an awful season and no one is going to give him a multi year deal with how bad he was offensively. I'm not giving Stroman 6 years if that's what he reportedly wants. Let him go test that theory on the open market. Bryant is the guy I want. I can settle with Baez but this stretch run is not who he will be going forward. One of Marte, Bryant or Baez needs to be here. The bullpen needs reshuffling too. They have work to do. Just hope whoever comes in knows that if they want to make the playoffs they are going to have to spend money and that Cohen is lock step with those things.

    I'm not relying on McNeil or Dominic Smith to be good next year. Conforto can walk too if he somehow thinks he deserves more than the QO.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    52,610
    Beane is one of the most brilliant baseball executives of all time and people in this thread donít want him.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Beane is one of the most brilliant baseball executives of all time and people in this thread donít want him.
    Eh, what have the A's won under his tenure? They've made it as far as the ALCS once in his 24 years there. Not to mention he's a disciple of Alderson. A predominant amount of Met fans don't want Alderson's influence here anymore. I know you're one of the few exceptions to that. I think Beane could make them a playoff team but is he willing to spend money? Did he not in Oakland because they didn't have the resources or was that his philosophy?

    I wouldn't mind Billy Beane. Just don't think he would be this slam dunk hire. OTOH, I think Theo Espstein clearly is despite your objections.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-19-2021 at 08:36 AM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    7,163
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Eh, what have the A's won under his tenure? They've made it as far as the ALCS once in his 24 years there. Not to mention he's a disciple of Alderson. A predominant amount of Met fans don't want Alderson's influence here anymore. I know you're one of the few exceptions to that. I think Beane could make them a playoff team but is he willing to spend money? Did he not in Oakland because they didn't have the resources or was that his philosophy?

    I wouldn't mind Billy Beane. Just don't think he would be this slam dunk hire. OTOH, I think Theo Espstein clearly is despite your objections.
    There seems to be consensus that CLE, LA, MIL & TB have great FOs and they have a combined 1 title in the last decade. Titles being the only bar for measuring the ability of a FO seems unreasonable. I understand that is the goal but is Mike Rizzo a better exec than Beane because of his one title?

    I think Beane would be any immediate upgrade for the Mets. I believe Theo would be too. I would be happy with him either. One concern with Theo, from an ďopticsĒ standpoint, is his connection to Porter and Scott. Not sure how much the team is concerned about that, or if it would matter if the team wins. However, if the team doesnít win, the media feeding frenzy would be swift.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Beane is one of the most brilliant baseball executives of all time and people in this thread donít want him.
    Why do you say that? Because he puts catchers with bad arms on first base and turns strange motion pitchers into closers? Fine but thatís so 2003.

    The world has changed in 18 years. Old man Justice wonít cut it anymore.

    As for me, Iíd consider bringing in Wally Backman. Wouldnít that be a kick in the head?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,938
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    There seems to be consensus that CLE, LA, MIL & TB have great FOs and they have a combined 1 title in the last decade. Titles being the only bar for measuring the ability of a FO seems unreasonable. I understand that is the goal but is Mike Rizzo a better exec than Beane because of his one title?

    I think Beane would be any immediate upgrade for the Mets. I believe Theo would be too. I would be happy with him either. One concern with Theo, from an ďopticsĒ standpoint, is his connection to Porter and Scott. Not sure how much the team is concerned about that, or if it would matter if the team wins. However, if the team doesnít win, the media feeding frenzy would be swift.
    My thing is do we want to continue with Alderson disciples and organizational philosophy? Beane would essentially be an extension of Alderson, even if he has his own analytics, own ideology, etc. It's not to diminish what Beane has achieved on his own either. Like I said, I think he's is a solid GM. I'm just not sure he's the guy to bring them to the promised land. I would rather them go after David Stearns if they are bringing in Beane. Baseball is not just a young man's game on the field. It's also in the front office.

    I don't measure success solely in titles. Beane has done a lot with very little but I don't know if I want someone who is consistently using small market principles to run a big market organization. That's why I'm a lot more sold on Theo. 3 titles in 2 organizations that hadn't won in forever and he knows what it takes to win using bigger market resources.

    To me their best bet is to go with a younger GM or Theo. Alderson's influence bothers me too. He's given a lot of power in an organization which continues to have middling results during his tenure. I don't really want him involved in baseball decisions anymore.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    108,769
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Eh, what have the A's won under his tenure? They've made it as far as the ALCS once in his 24 years there. Not to mention he's a disciple of Alderson. A predominant amount of Met fans don't want Alderson's influence here anymore. I know you're one of the few exceptions to that. I think Beane could make them a playoff team but is he willing to spend money? Did he not in Oakland because they didn't have the resources or was that his philosophy?

    I wouldn't mind Billy Beane. Just don't think he would be this slam dunk hire. OTOH, I think Theo Espstein clearly is despite your objections.
    I would be ok with either of them, both should be able to transform them to consistent playoff teams and thatís a huge first step.

    I think Aldersonís influence over Beane would be small, my concern with Alderson staying here is that he is cheap and may not want to spend too much even knowing the Mets need to do it.

    Sandy needs to have as small a role as possible with the team next year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,938

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •