Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    If the Mets don't want JD why would Oakland take him? Even with Cortes, who btw is already long in the tooth for his level (AA), it doesn't make sense. Chapman isn't making that much money, albeit more than JD.

I think the Mets would have to give up more than what you suggest. Agreed, defensively that would be a major improvement. But again, like with Baez (if he stays), there is another power hitter with low BA and OBP. We need guys who can drive in runs and you can do that just as easily with a single as with a homer, except singles are more plentiful if you are a good hitter.

Having said that Chapman is not the ideal hitter for the Mets, he is the ideal defender at 3B and I would do a deal if it were reasonable. But I'm not sure the As want JD.

Assuming Beane becomes head of baseball operations for the Mets, I would want to see what his take is on such a move for Chapman. But I think the Mets have to give up more.
    Iirc Chapman only has one year left. The A’s always make moves where they trade a star at the deadline for a young controllable player, not necessarily prospect.

Not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I think when Cohen bought the team from the Wilpons many of us were as excited about a fresh start as we were about the influx of big money into the team.

But when he brought Alderson back it was like, him again? Better than BVW but really? And now hearing that Alderson wants to bring Beane in just has that “more of the same”feel to it.

I dunno. Maybe it’s me.
    Alderson was brought in to soothe the other owners both for Cohen's history and the promise that he would not go haywire in spending. I am Ok with him staying so long as he has nothing to do with anything involving players , free agents, trades Etc.

My first choice is David Stearns but he has a year remaining on his contract and the Brewers would not him be interviewed last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Iirc Chapman only has one year left. The A’s always make moves where they trade a star at the deadline for a young controllable player, not necessarily prospect.

Not impossible.

Not sure I would characterize Chapman as ," a star" . A defensive star yes but that is all. He is a .245 lifetime hitter . Is Semian a FA and can he play 3B ? I read that the Mets want Cano to play some 3B in winter ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Alderson was brought in to soothe the other owners both for Cohen's history and the promise that he would not go haywire in spending. I am Ok with him staying so long as he has nothing to do with anything involving players , free agents, trades Etc.

My first choice is David Stearns but he has a year remaining on his contract and the Brewers would not him be interviewed last year.
    Things can be worked out but Mets would have to give them something.

Not sure I would characterize Chapman as ," a star" . A defensive star yes but that is all. He is a .245 lifetime hitter . Is Semian a FA and can he play 3B ? I read that the Mets want Cano to play some 3B in winter ball.
    Depends who you ask, I think he’s really underrated.

Career .800 OPS in Oakland, and is going into his age 29 season with superb defense. Even with his down year, he’s worth almost 4 fWAR and hit out 27 home runs. He’s still very athletic with a good eye and was worth 6-7 wins back in 2018/2019 with above average hitting.

He’s a really good player, I think he’d solve a lot of problems for this team.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

I don’t think you can keep Alderson and realistically have him stay away from baseball operations.

Even if you try to do that his sheer presence in the organization is a huge martzah ball hanging out there for anyone else who comes in to try and run operations.

Life is full of hard decisions. Cohen needs to make one here. This is either Aldersons organization, or it’s someone else’s. Don’t think you can have it both ways.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Why are the Mets always trying to hire someone who was viewed as the cutting edge guy 20 years ago?

For once I’d like the cutting edge guy of today.

They did and he felt compelled to send pictures of his junk to a reporter.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    They did and he felt compelled to send pictures of his junk to a reporter.
    That shouldn't deter them from hiring another younger baseball executive. Just do better vetting.

Considering the Mets circumstances, they should be open to almost all possibilities. No one wants to see Alderson here next year in any baseball decision making capacity with maybe the exception of you.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-27-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That shouldn't deter them from hiring another younger baseball executive. Just do better vetting.

Considering the Mets circumstances, they should be open to almost all possibilities. No one wants to see Alderson here next year in any baseball decision making capacity with maybe the exception of you.
    The whole problem with a new owner coming in, is that what familiarly does he really have with the league without Sandy by his side? It’s like a blind man with his seeing eye dog…Sandy being the only respectable high ranking and well connected FO that Cohen knew ever since becoming a part owner of the team.

Granted, Cohen is gonna learn more and more people as time goes on but, he still needs Sandy or somebody well connected at the helm, because he could go off the rails and hire somebody else who would be a disaster.

Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    The whole problem with a new owner coming in, is that what familiarly does he really have with the league without Sandy by his side? It’s like a blind man with his seeing eye dog…Sandy being the only respectable high ranking and well connected FO that Cohen knew ever since becoming a part owner of the team.

Granted, Cohen is gonna learn more and more people as time goes on but, he still needs Sandy or somebody well connected at the helm, because he could go off the rails and hire somebody else who would be a disaster.

Who knows.

Similar though perhaps not as disastrous thing happened in Buffalo when the Pegulas took over. The incumbent team president Russ Brandon basically gave Rex Ryan the cheat code for tricking the Pegulas into hiring him. In that case, Rex's failure ultimately doomed them both, and lead to the Bills signing Sean McDermott as HC and then our current GM, who coincidentally also has the surname of Beane.

Point being, Cohen as you say was new and needed a steady hand to guide him through the initial stages. As is usually the case, that "steady hand" isn't quite as steady as advertised. It's disappointing that he's once again putting faith in Alderson to find the right guy, but maybe Steve needs a couple of disasters before he finally figures it out. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

The problem with hiring a young baseball executive is that they don't have relations with other front offices. That's why you need a seasoned POBO, they have built up the relationship with other teams. Problem is seasoned FO people don't want to come here.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

The problem with hiring a young baseball executive is that they don't have relations with other front offices. That's why you need a seasoned POBO, they have built up the relationship with other teams. Problem is seasoned FO people don't want to come here.
    So young baseball executives have to sleep their way to the top?

Then hire Theo Epstein. 3 WS titles>>>No WS titles for Billy Beane. To me Beane is their third best option. Its either go with a young guy who has had a successful track record, is ahead of analytical curve, and has no connection with Alderson or go with the most established winner. Beane is neither of those things. He's a guy who has had his own success but is still tied somewhat to Alderson in terms of him being a Sandy discipline and fielding competitive teams in spite of payroll.

Yes in theory that should work here but the expectations are different in NY and he's going to have to spend money instead of building through austerity. Can Beane have success that way? 24 years of not doing those things tends to instill certain habits in someone. No one gave a **** in Oakland. People would care here.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-27-2021 at 09:04 PM.

Cohen is a spender. He doesn’t need an exec who believes in clipping coupons. He needs someone who will match his desire to spend with the right, high end talent.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Cohen is a spender. He doesn’t need an exec who believes in clipping coupons. He needs someone who will match his desire to spend with the right, high end talent.

The way I look at it there's no reason why the Mets can't be the LA Dodgers. The Dodgers do a very good job of developing their own talent and on top of that are able to spend big in FA/make big trades. That should be the long term vision of the team. As for next year, yeah you're not going to win unless you make significant improvements that will involve them spending cash. Getting to the point where you can develop players like some of the top smaller market teams while also flexing that big market muscle to acquire major league talent obviously takes time.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-28-2021 at 06:00 AM.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast