Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2021-2022 New Season, New Optimism

Shall we begin the next chapter in our history! Let’s talk about our team, our expectations, let’s make our guesses of our lineups, etc.

Captain: Jacob Trouba

Bold Prediction: Rangers squeak into the playoffs, advance to the second round. This team has too much talent, and a new coach that should get the best out of each individual player. Given the cap situation (and players soon to become free agents), the Rangers will be active throughout the season

The Elephant in the Room:
    Will the Rangers make a trade for Jack Eichel? Maybe, but not anytime soon. The moratorium might prove to be in the Rangers benefit, as they get to see how the team is coming together, which other teams take themselves out of the running, and most importantly how Eichel is progressing. I am firmily in the camp that Eichel > Zibanejad (especially given the age), but if it means trading away 4 assests AND not being able to resign Zibanejad I would prefer the Rangers stay pat.

The Big Question:
    Where does Chris Kreider fit? He too often fits the mold of looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. For someone with his skill set (speed, strength, shot), it's disappointing that he has not been able to put it all together. His production-0.60ppg-does not live up to his $6.5M AAV. In my opinion, he is best suited for the 3rd line to provide a bit more balance, and give the young guys a shot, but that becomes one of the leagues most expensive 3rd lines. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the Rangers may regret not dealing him during the draft a few years back (Cole Caulfield would look great in Ranger Blue)

A Move to Forget:
    I still cannot fathom that the best possible offer for Pavel Buchnevich was Sammy Blais and a 2nd Round pick. While I understand the market for him was small, the Rangers did not need to move so quickly to offload one of their more productive players. He would have been an ideal trade deadline piece to a contending team. Buchnevich was a productive, well-liked player. While he might not have had a role moving forward, he would have been a valuable asset this season, and I think we can all say that we got a bit worse getting rid of him.

Offense (LW - C - RW)
    1: Alexis Lanfreniere - Mika Zibanejad - Kappo Kakko
    2: Artemi Panarin - Ryan Strome - Vitali Kravstov
    3: Chris Kreider - Barclay Goodrow - Filip Chytil
    4. Sammy Blais - Morgan Barron/Kevin Rooney - Ryan Reaves

Defense (L-R)
    1: Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
    2: K'Andre Miller - Jacob Trouba
    3: Patrick Nemeth - Nils Lundkvist
    Reserve: Jarred Tinordi

AHL: Joel Bitetto, Libor Hajek, Zac Jones, Braden Schneider, Tarmo Reunanen

Goalies:
    1: Igor Shesterkin
    2: Alex Georgiev
    3: Keith Kinkaid

Thx Mr. W for the start and Bo for some great stuff. Here are a few points.

Before I add my two cents to the post, I have to say that I thought Gorton was one of the best GM's in all of sports and can't believe he hasn't signed on with another team yet. Some of the deals he made and players he selected are now our core. IMHO he would NEVER have settled for the paltry return for Buch. I wish he was still here. Having said that, I'm a Drury man now because he's running my team. I hope he's close to Gorton in talent evaluating and as bold and clever in trades.

I have trouble seeing Trouba here long term, so him as a C would not my first choice. I personally like Lindgren. He reminds me of Graves, who epitomized grit, leadership and effort.

Kreider is a mystery. He has as much talent as anyone on the team yet as I watch some games and think he must be a healthy scratch because I don't recall hearing his name called during the game.

Eichel is only better than Z if he's healthy. And if he does eventually get the surgery he wants, there's no guarantee he gets back to the form he flashed when drafted.

I'm with you on Buch. Not against trading him to open spots for Laf and Kakko to move up, but we should've gotten more that we did. I feel Drury made the deal impulsively, rather than waiting things out and obtaining better value.

I see Barron edging out Rooney, rather easily. And I can see Braden S. forcing his way into one of the most talented and deepest group of defensemen in the NHL. This is also one of the reasons I see Trouba moving on during or after this year.

And lastly. I hope the organization is right about Shesterkin, because I'm not really sold on him being the next big goaltending thing.

Laf and Kakko on the first line?

Laf was meh, and Kakko has shown little.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Laf and Kakko on the first line?

Laf was meh, and Kakko has shown little.
    I think it really depends on what happens with Kreider. They could keep Kreider on the top line and move Laf to the right side, but I truly believe this team is most balanced with Kreider on the 3rd line. I want to give Laf and Kakko the benefit of the doubt since they played in shortened seasons which has to stunt their development a bit.

It seems to me we have more players than we have spots. Personally I think it’s downright stupid to demote Zach Jones who had 4 pts in 10 games last year. Not that I don’t agree with you because I think you are absolutely right, spot on with line-ups. I just think we really should trade Jones, it’s not fair to him and with Fox & Lundkvist we have our fill of small d-men. I really don’t think it’s a good idea to trade for Eichel who could very well be damaged goods. I think it would be smarter to deal Jones & maybe a pick or a prospect for Alex Turcotte. Yes, Turcotte may not be ready right now but we need someone who WILL be ready should we not come to an agreement on a contract extension with Strome or Chytil proves has just not a true center. From the other side the LA Kings have Kopitar, Danault, Vilardi, Byfield, Kupari, Akil Thomas, Tyler Madden, Turcotte. They have an abundance of centers but don’t have much in the way of defensive prospects.

According to BlueshirtsForever This was the lineups for day 1 of camp

Kreider – Zibanejad – Lafrenière
    Panarin – Strome – Kakko
    Goodrow – Chytil – Kravtsov
    Blais – Rooney – Reaves
    Lindgren – Fox
    Miller – Trouba
    Nemeth – Lundkvist
    The new coach had a little fun when asked about Panarin and Zibanejad on different lines today. “I read that all summer. You guys want them as a line,” he said with a wink. “You know what, we just put some lines together – you know it’s day one, we’ll see where things go with that.