Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    It amazes me that guys like Rick Smits, Yao, and Detlef never really attempted 3s despite having the stoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a shame Yao's legs betrayed him and his career got cut short. Morey didn't become GM until Yao's last productive season in the league. With Morey as GM, I guarantee he would have started taking a ton of 3s, and he would have shot a solid percentage. With that in his repertoire, he would have been unguardable offensively.

It amazes me that guys like Rick Smits, Yao, and Detlef never really attempted 3s despite having the stoke
    They probably would be if they played today.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    They probably would be if they played today.
    The Blazers had some bigs with modern skills. Before the wrist injury Duckworth was a very good jump shooter. uncle Cliffs could shoot it, Sabonis,. Kersey wasn’t much a shooter but loved to grab and go off the boards and could lead a fast break.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I remember using Troy Murphy in my fantasy basketball days. He was a double-double 6'11 guy who was a career 39% 3 point shooter. Trash player, but not bad from 3.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    I remember using Troy Murphy in my fantasy basketball days. He was a double-double 6'11 guy who was a career 39% 3 point shooter. Trash player, but not bad from 3.
    Far from a trash player

A lot of players in the past who were considered "soft" or "played small" and were "trash" would be contributing and valued players now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    A lot of players in the past who were considered "soft" or "played small" and were "trash" would be contributing and valued players now.
    Don't know if that was a reference to Murphy but he wasn't soft. Being slow was more an issue for him. You are right though. Physical strength isn't as important anymore. I remember when Mike Dunleavy went 3rd overall and I was like you have to be kidding me. At 6'9 he is was just too soft. He was skilled as hell but there really wasn't a path for him to be more than a role player IMO. Today I think he is an all-star.

Don't know if that was a reference to Murphy but he wasn't soft. Being slow was more an issue for him. You are right though. Physical strength isn't as important anymore. I remember when Mike Dunleavy went 3rd overall and I was like you have to be kidding me. At 6'9 he is was just too soft. He was skilled as hell but there really wasn't a path for him to be more than a role player IMO. Today I think he is an all-star.
    You're right. I meant "trash" relative to the other names that were thrown out. He was not soft at all. I remember him for being a hustle type player who sucked on defense but was a double-double 3 point sniper.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    You're right. I meant "trash" relative to the other names that were thrown out. He was not soft at all. I remember him for being a hustle type player who sucked on defense but was a double-double 3 point sniper.
    Yep Murphy was a banger just a little slow and nailed to the ground. Definitely a nice role player

My post wasn't about Murphy. I agree about Dunleavy being a wrong era, or at least wrong coach/scheme player.

Sheed, Horry, and Odom managed to get coaches and teams who let them be themselves even with their slightly odd fit in the standard mold of 6'9"+ players for the first many decades of the NBA, but even now players are evaluated by size first and put into groups based on it. KD said one of the reasons he worked hard to be listed as no taller than 6'9" rather than the true 7' was because he didn't want to be forced to play back to the basket and defend 4s and 5s by perception.

Barkley wasn't questioned when he took outside shots because he was one of the smallest "bigs" ever. Barkley admitted he measured in under 6'4" without shoes, and it's kind of hard for most to comprehend when you put that next to Steph Curry measuring in at just under 6'3" without shoes. Curry is considered small for a point guard and is almost as tall as one of the greatest "bigs" in NBA history.

Also, throughout NBA history big physical guys who start shooting more and more facing up over their careers were considered "washed" because they were not dunking as much and not pounding it in back to the basket anymore. Blake Griffin and Chris Webber as two recent examples. When the reality is that they were likely more efficient saving the energy and the pounding their bodies took inside by shooting more from further out. Of course a lot of players like that shoot too much and take too many bad shots too.

I don't know if he'd be an all-star. I could envision him as highly thought of and similar to Danillo Gallinari.

Larry Bird was the ultimate stretch big
    he was listed as a SF but quite often was playing PF.

You know he'd be a 4 or 5 in today's game lol

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    Larry Bird was the ultimate stretch big
    he was listed as a SF but quite often was playing PF.

You know he'd be a 4 or 5 in today's game lol
    He was their PF until McHale became too good not to start.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    He was their PF until McHale became too good not to start.
    exactly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12