Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Triple Crown is truly an outdated batting award

The last one who won it was Miguel Cabrera in 2012 but that wasn't even his best batting seasons. The year before and after were actually better.

Rbi, by this point is a dinosaur stat, a useful team stat, but too much has to go right for the rest of your teammates for a player to win it.

I propose a new Batting Triple Crown (yes, it won't change because tradition, but never the less)

The new Triple Crown would be leading the league in Avg/Home Runs/OBP this is pretty much the Babe Ruth award here as the man did that all, and in his finest season 1920 he put up

Avg .376 OBP .532 54 Home Runs with an OPS of 1.379

In 2012 Miguel Cabrera had 139 RBIs with an OPS of .999 (Cabrera had multiple seasons of over 1.0 his triple Crown season wasn't one of them)

In 1920 babe Ruth had 135 RBIs with an OPS of 1.379

I rest my case.

I also think the new Triple Crown should be awarded only if you do these 3 stats in the entire MLB so Vlad wouldn't win it as Soto easily has the best OBP in the league.
    Until they prove the fans wrong again

Iirc Trout was a better player during Cabrera's triple crown season but lost out on the mvp award which frustrated me

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    The last one who won it was Miguel Cabrera in 2012 but that wasn't even his best batting seasons. The year before and after were actually better.

Rbi, by this point is a dinosaur stat, a useful team stat, but too much has to go right for the rest of your teammates for a player to win it.

I propose a new Batting Triple Crown (yes, it won't change because tradition, but never the less)

The new Triple Crown would be leading the league in Avg/Home Runs/OBP this is pretty much the Babe Ruth award here as the man did that all, and in his finest season 1920 he put up

Avg .376 OBP .532 54 Home Runs with an OPS of 1.379

In 2012 Miguel Cabrera had 139 RBIs with an OPS of .999 (Cabrera had multiple seasons of over 1.0 his triple Crown season wasn't one of them)

In 1920 babe Ruth had 135 RBIs with an OPS of 1.379

I rest my case.

I also think the new Triple Crown should be awarded only if you do these 3 stats in the entire MLB so Vlad wouldn't win it as Soto easily has the best OBP in the league.
    Do you believe that being a closer is similar to pitching in relief during the 6th or 7th inning? Because hitting with RISP is much more important than hitting with the bases empty...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Do you believe that being a closer is similar to pitching in relief during the 6th or 7th inning? Because hitting with RISP is much more important than hitting with the bases empty...
    That's the thing though, the RBI doesn't tell you how often they player bat with players on base, what there AVG, OPS is, or even take into account how many batters are on base when you are up to bat.

If you want something like that than dig deeper and don't rely on a stat that's reliant on your teammates getting on base and their speed.

The RBI stat doesn't measure clutch.
    Until they prove the fans wrong again

Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    That's the thing though, the RBI doesn't tell you how often they player bat with players on base, what there AVG, OPS is, or even take into account how many batters are on base when you are up to bat.

If you want something like that than dig deeper and don't rely on a stat that's reliant on your teammates getting on base and their speed.

The RBI stat doesn't measure clutch.
    Agree on the clutch point. It measures how often your teammates get on base.

But I don't think there's really a need for a new triple crown. The triple crown doesn't really mean anything to be honest. It used to be used more and it's a cool statistical oddity, but having to select 3 hitting stats to lead the league in shouldn't really matter. It's a fun statistical oddity that used to attemot to measure how good of all around hitter you were before advanced stats kicked in. Now we have stats like ops+, WRC+ and those things that do a better job of boiling down offensive value into one metric.

It is outdated. Two very overrated and outdated stats, one that I don't even take into consideration when evaluating a hitter (RBI).

I think now the new triple crown would be some combination of wOBA, wRC+, OPS+, and ISO.

Who cares if it's outdated. It's still a very difficult feat to accomplish. Especially now that there are 30 teams.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 09-15-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Iirc Trout was a better player during Cabrera's triple crown season but lost out on the mvp award which frustrated me

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    You recall correctly. Trout should have like two or three more MVP's than he does.

"The thing we may have to accept is that red states really like this pandemic and want to keep it.”" - @LOLGOP

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Who cares if it's outdated. It's still a very difficult feat to accomplish. Especially now that there are 30 teams.
    So? It's not a meaningful measure of offensive contribution.

"The thing we may have to accept is that red states really like this pandemic and want to keep it.”" - @LOLGOP

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    The funny thing is that you're kind of arguing against your own point here. If hitting with RISP matters more, then shouldn't pitching with RISP matter more? Closers are brought in when the 9th inning begins most of the time, and not at the most crucial part of the game. If a closer is your best pitcher, then he's the guy you should bring in when there are RISP and you need an out to preserve the game, not the guy you bring in at the beginning of an inning when a team's run expectancy is at it's lowest point.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    So? It's not a meaningful measure of offensive contribution.
    Like I said, I don't care. But it's still cool when it does occur. There's hasn't been a triple crown in the National League since 1937. Hell, my dad was born in 1937 and he's 83 years old. It's the extreme rarity that makes it special.

You could base the triple crown on AVG/OBP/SLG, but this arrangement occurs much more often than AVG/HR/RBI.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Like I said, I don't care. But it's still cool when it does occur. There's hasn't been a triple crown in the National League since 1937. Hell, my dad was born in 1937 and he's 83 years old. It's the extreme rarity that makes it special.

You could base the triple crown on AVG/OBP/SLG, but this arrangement occurs much more often than AVG/HR/RBI.
    Hell, make it BB/SB/HR if all we're concerned with is rarity.

people should care... it has taken mvps away from more deserving players. Get rid of the MVP award if the triple crown is gonna dictate whos wins it.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    people should care... it has taken mvps away from more deserving players. Get rid of the MVP award if the triple crown is gonna dictate whos wins it.

A triple crown should NOT dictate who wins the MVP or the Hank Aaron Award. Blame the people who vote, not an unrelated award.

Future Hall of Shamers:

A triple crown should NOT dictate who wins the MVP or the Hank Aaron Award. Blame the people who vote, not an unrelated award.
    But if triple crown wasn’t recognized, would the voters have voted that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast