Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    So what happens if Wall wants to play and we want to sit him? Does the league get involved and make us play him?
    I think the NBPA would get involved first on the players behalf filing a grievance.

I think if Wall wants to play, the Rockets' roster isn't so deep that he couldn't find minutes. Their point guard depth is especially thin. They've got KPJ—who's pretty much just played the position for the 25-27 games he played for the Rockets last year—and DJ Augustin and a bunch of combo guards who aren't really true point guards.

Like, I don't want Wall to start, but I'm not opposed to him getting 20-25 minutes a night off the bench either if he's willing to take a reduced role so the young guys still get to shine. I have to think Silas, Stone and co. feel similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I think if Wall wants to play, the Rockets' roster isn't so deep that he couldn't find minutes. Their point guard depth is especially thin. They've got KPJ—who's pretty much just played the position for the 25-27 games he played for the Rockets last year—and DJ Augustin and a bunch of combo guards who aren't really true point guards.

Like, I don't want Wall to start, but I'm not opposed to him getting 20-25 minutes a night off the bench either if he's willing to take a reduced role so the young guys still get to shine. I have to think Silas, Stone and co. feel similarly.
    I mean he can swerve as a mentor. These young guys can learn a ton from him on the defensive end. I do see a silver lining there.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I think the NBPA would get involved first on the players behalf filing a grievance.
    Yeah I can’t imagine a guy making that much money, being healthy, and wanting to play and we just refuse him the right. How else could he possibly raise his value if he doesn’t play. End of the day I think he’ll be in the rotation

Yeah I can’t imagine a guy making that much money, being healthy, and wanting to play and we just refuse him the right. How else could he possibly raise his value if he doesn’t play. End of the day I think he’ll be in the rotation
    Yea, if he doesn't play, wants to play, and they just sit him or tell him to stay home there's gonna be issues on both ends. Then again we saw teams do that last year and not get in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    But Wall has such a high baseline athleticism, that even a reduced version is still a good athlete.
    If bought out, could see him being a good addition for the Clippers. He could also fill in for Murray in Denver. Either would be a great opportunity to rebuild his value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess to me even pre injury wall wasn't a very good defender anymore. He's was a splash play guy that racked up steals but really wasn't a very good on ball defender. Because splash plays can tilt the game more than just solid all around defense, he probably settled in as an average to slightly above average defender towards the end of his Washington days (pre injury).

Maybe I'm off base there but if I have pre injury wall as average at best on defense, I can't see post injury and aging wall even getting to that point. And when your value is tied to splash plays, which often require athleticism, it's not hard to think the drop-off impacts you more. A guy like say Chris Paul can avoid steep declines because positioning and smart plays are a big part of his game. But wall always felt like it was using his length and athleticism to jump lanes or get a chasedown block.

I'm not saying he has no value but to an extent this comes back a little to the Collin sexton convo that goes on a bunch too. John Wall plays the game like a superstar. His best skills are that of a guy who has the ball a bunch and makes things happen. But the current version of him isn't good enough to be a super star anymore. And his non superstar skills as a secondary player aren't good. He's not a great shooter or defender, and when you're talking about the 3rd or 4th best player on the court for your team, those are the skills everyone looks for.

So he absolutely can be a 2nd unit guy. If you let him go for short bursts where your studs are sitting and he can be the stud of the second unit and be the straw that stirs the drink, then he can have value. But it's when those super stars come back in that it makes it harder to play him a bunch of minutes.

I mean he can swerve as a mentor. These young guys can learn a ton from him on the defensive end. I do see a silver lining there.
    Agree. Having him as vet presence for the young guys is very valuable…

Let's get Wall to the Clippers

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I guess to me even pre injury wall wasn't a very good defender anymore. He's was a splash play guy that racked up steals but really wasn't a very good on ball defender. Because splash plays can tilt the game more than just solid all around defense, he probably settled in as an average to slightly above average defender towards the end of his Washington days (pre injury).

Maybe I'm off base there but if I have pre injury wall as average at best on defense, I can't see post injury and aging wall even getting to that point. And when your value is tied to splash plays, which often require athleticism, it's not hard to think the drop-off impacts you more. A guy like say Chris Paul can avoid steep declines because positioning and smart plays are a big part of his game. But wall always felt like it was using his length and athleticism to jump lanes or get a chasedown block.

I'm not saying he has no value but to an extent this comes back a little to the Collin sexton convo that goes on a bunch too. John Wall plays the game like a superstar. His best skills are that of a guy who has the ball a bunch and makes things happen. But the current version of him isn't good enough to be a super star anymore. And his non superstar skills as a secondary player aren't good. He's not a great shooter or defender, and when you're talking about the 3rd or 4th best player on the court for your team, those are the skills everyone looks for.

So he absolutely can be a 2nd unit guy. If you let him go for short bursts where your studs are sitting and he can be the stud of the second unit and be the straw that stirs the drink, then he can have value. But it's when those super stars come back in that it makes it harder to play him a bunch of minutes.
    I guess I’m higher on his baseline athleticism and defensive instincts than you. I feel like he could start at point guard for the Clippers and provide even playoff Rondo-level production.

I honestly don't even get why Wall is pushing to be moved. The Rockets rookies will probably be fun as hell to play with, along with guys like Wood and KPJ. And Wall would definitely get minutes with how shallow their point guard depth is. Rockets will likely be terrible, sure, but like, ride out your fat contract, prove you can still play, and then go ring chasing once it expires (or manage a buy out in the final year).

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Let’s not. Just let him get bought out by Houston so he can sign with the Mavs.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I guess I’m higher on his baseline athleticism and defensive instincts than you. I feel like he could start at point guard for the Clippers and provide even playoff Rondo-level production.

Truthfully, the Kawhi-less Clippers probably aren't a bad fit. I think they probably need his playmaking without Kawhi moreso than most teams.

So yea, I do kind of agree. On LAC without Kawhi, hes in the discussion as their 2nd best player and their best player in PG isn't super, super ball dominant. So he probably does fit okay there, just don't think there's an obvious trade option. But if he's bought out or something, then ya that's probably a solid spot.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 09-21-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Truthfully, the Kawhi-less Clippers probably aren't a bad fit. I think they probably need his playmaking without Kawhi moreso than most teams.

So yea, I do kind of agree. On LAC without Kawhi, hes in the discussion as their 2nd best player and their best player in PG isn't super, super ball dominant. So he probably does fit okay there, just don't think there's an obvious trade option. But if he's bought out or something, then ya that's probably a solid spot.

John Wall as a co star for Kawhi and Paul George is actually not a bad fit

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    All he needs to do is clip that salary in half to get a buy out lol big pun

Or another intriguing landing spot for Wall would actually be the New Orleans Pelicans

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast