Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Shams: Rockets, John Wall working together to get him out of Houston

Rockets, John Wall agree he won’t play as sides work together on trade: Sources
    By Shams Charania

After meeting and seeing eye-to-eye on the direction of the Houston Rockets, the franchise and John Wall have agreed on working together to find a new home for the five-time All-Star guard, sources tell The Athletic.

The plan is for Wall to remain present around the Rockets entering training camp, which begins late this month, and to not play in games for Houston this season, sources said. Wall is entering his second year in Houston after spending most of his career with Washington.

In a meeting between Wall and the Rockets recently, Houston officials explained to Wall the direction of the franchise and that the team wants to protect the veteran guard’s health. The Rockets explained that the team does not want to jeopardize Wall’s fitness, and the sides agreed on the route that won’t complicate his ability to continue playing at a high level.

Sources said there are no buyout plans on the two years and $91.7 million remaining on Wall’s contract — including a $47.4 million player option for the 2022-23 season.

Wall is entering his 12th NBA season and both he and the Rockets recognize each side is in different phases. In 40 games last season, Wall averaged 20.6 points, 6.9 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 32.2 minutes per game, re-establishing himself as an effective lead guard after rehabbing knee and Achilles injuries.

The Rockets, meanwhile, are retooling around a talented young core of Christian Wood, No. 2 overall pick Jalen Green, Kevin Porter Jr., All-Rookie first-team forward Jae’Sean Tate and intriguing first-round picks Alperen Şengün, Josh Christopher and Usman Garuba. Athletic second-year forward KJ Martin has also been a bright spot of the Rockets’ rebuild. Through draft picks and free-agency moves — including signing veteran center Daniel Theis — the Rockets have the promise of a competitive, young roster.

Houston’s front office, led by general manager Rafael Stone, has added assets and franchise pieces in rebuilding in the aftermath of the James Harden trade.

The Rockets have held discussions with free-agent point guards in the marketplace in recent days, sources said.

Houston acquired Wall and a first-round pick from the Washington Wizards for Russell Westbrook prior to last season’s training camp.

Wall, 31, was an All-Star in each season from 2013-2018, earning third-team All-NBA honors in 2016-17.
    Source: https://theathletic.com/news/rockets...s/PqMYP7366g6G

Would be awesome if he got bought out.

If and when he does get bought out, which team could use him the most?

It's really dependent on his mindset moving forward. If he's trying to prove his contract worth, that he should be a starter, and wants be big homie OG to the gang affiliates he'll be wasting his time and will be out of the league soon (Marbury/Francis path).

If he just wants to win and play a major role while deferring to the better guys and adapting his game (Conley/Rose path) he would be good with Atlanta or Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Would be awesome if he got bought out.

If and when he does get bought out, which team could use him the most?
    So the Shams article claims they're NOT considering a buyout, but I just don't buy it. The only way I see a deal for Wall is if (A) the Rockets give up picks; (B) the Rockets take back bad contracts in return; and/or (C) Wall agrees to waive the $47 million player option for the last year. I won't call it impossible based on the return the Wizards got for Westbrook, but I think Wall's value is even worse, so I'll call it extremely unlikely.

That being said, in terms of teams I think could use him, I could definitely see him as a Clipper. If a trade were to happen, they feel like the most likely destination to me just from a contract and personnel standpoint. I'm sure Sixer fans will blast me, but if Philly moves on from Simmons, I do think Wall could play a role as a playmaker in Philly as long as he's willing to play second fiddle to Embiid.

In all honesty, though, having watched him last season, I wouldn't want Wall if I were a contender, certainly not for $92 million the next two seasons. I watched him last season, and he has his moments, but his playmaking and basketball IQ were kind of a huge disappointment in the small sample size I caught. The athleticism is still there despite the knee problems, but he's not a good jump shooter, and he doesn't seem to know that. It was like watching a more injury-prone version of Westbrook in many ways.

Maybe a fringe playoff team would deal for him, thinking he'll bring something to the table. Or maybe he gets bought out, and a team adds him in a low-risk vet minimum signing. But I think any team that deals for him is probably making a mistake.

That being said, this is a win/win for the Rockets. Even if he doesn't get dealt and just sits on the bench all season, this shows they're moving on from him and want to ensure Porter and Green get their minutes this year. This shows me they're serious about developing the talented young players on the team and aren't just trying to sell tickets to overrated superstars or compete for a pointless play-in spot to get their ***** kicked in the playoffs. It's a good day... minus that whole hurricane thing.

Who would want Wall at this point with that contract?

Where are all the posters that said Wall was better than Lillard b/c of his assist %?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Where are all the posters that said Wall was better than Lillard b/c of his assist %?
    I wasn't one of them but I'd certainly say there were a few years Wall was better, but not because of assists, but rather defense. Wall in his prime was a very tough defender. Not a perennial all-defensive but I would assume he had to make a couple of those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Who would want Wall at this point with that contract?
    no one, but Im guessing there will be plenty suitors if he gets bought out.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    So the Shams article claims they're NOT considering a buyout, but I just don't buy it. The only way I see a deal for Wall is if (A) the Rockets give up picks; (B) the Rockets take back bad contracts in return; and/or (C) Wall agrees to waive the $47 million player option for the last year. I won't call it impossible based on the return the Wizards got for Westbrook, but I think Wall's value is even worse, so I'll call it extremely unlikely.

That being said, in terms of teams I think could use him, I could definitely see him as a Clipper. If a trade were to happen, they feel like the most likely destination to me just from a contract and personnel standpoint. I'm sure Sixer fans will blast me, but if Philly moves on from Simmons, I do think Wall could play a role as a playmaker in Philly as long as he's willing to play second fiddle to Embiid.

In all honesty, though, having watched him last season, I wouldn't want Wall if I were a contender, certainly not for $92 million the next two seasons. I watched him last season, and he has his moments, but his playmaking and basketball IQ were kind of a huge disappointment in the small sample size I caught. The athleticism is still there despite the knee problems, but he's not a good jump shooter, and he doesn't seem to know that. It was like watching a more injury-prone version of Westbrook in many ways.

Maybe a fringe playoff team would deal for him, thinking he'll bring something to the table. Or maybe he gets bought out, and a team adds him in a low-risk vet minimum signing. But I think any team that deals for him is probably making a mistake.

That being said, this is a win/win for the Rockets. Even if he doesn't get dealt and just sits on the bench all season, this shows they're moving on from him and want to ensure Porter and Green get their minutes this year. This shows me they're serious about developing the talented young players on the team and aren't just trying to sell tickets to overrated superstars or compete for a pointless play-in spot to get their ***** kicked in the playoffs. It's a good day... minus that whole hurricane thing.
    at this point Id take any bad contract for Wall to ensure that the bolded happens. the issue is his salary is so high it would be hard to find a team with enough bad contracts to make a deal close to matching. Unless of course its a team that has enough cap space to absorb. Im not gonna get my hopes up as I know any deal with Wall will run in to hurdles and challenges, but if Stone is able to pull it off, give that man executive of the year before the season even starts lol

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I wasn't one of them but I'd certainly say there were a few years Wall was better, but not because of assists, but rather defense. Wall in his prime was a very tough defender. Not a perennial all-defensive but I would assume he had to make a couple of those teams.
    agreed, hes like the best shot blocking pg I would guess, or was. Maybe not now but in his hey day his defense was really good.

He could potentially be a value add for the Clippers, Celtics or Raptors but oof...that contract. If the reports are true that a buyout isn't on the table then I don't see how he gets moved. How do you muster up 44m to match contracts in a trade for a guy who was generally pretty awful last season?

If he was an FA at the beginning of this offseason, what type of deal does he get? I'm not sure he gets more than the full non tax payers exemption. And even at that, im not 100% sure if anyone gives him that.

So I just don't see how a trade happens that makes sense. Houston would have to attach significant assets and that would be dumb of them. They'd be better off just letting him ride the pine. Plus, the year he's off the books would give you two years to evaluate the guys they have now and figure out what they need to add around them in FA.

Only way is if he would agree to waive his option for next year, but he'd have to be an idiot to do that. He would be throwing at least $30 mill down the drain, if not closer to $40+ mill.

He was Ben Simmons before Ben Simmons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    If he was an FA at the beginning of this offseason, what type of deal does he get? I'm not sure he gets more than the full non tax payers exemption. And even at that, im not 100% sure if anyone gives him that.

So I just don't see how a trade happens that makes sense. Houston would have to attach significant assets and that would be dumb of them. They'd be better off just letting him ride the pine. Plus, the year he's off the books would give you two years to evaluate the guys they have now and figure out what they need to add around them in FA.

Only way is if he would agree to waive his option for next year, but he'd have to be an idiot to do that. He would be throwing at least $30 mill down the drain, if not closer to $40+ mill.
    no one is giving wall the full MLE. dude is about to be 31 coming off a season of .503 Ts% and 40 games played. best he could have hope for is the minimum. the websites I can look at say his defense was average last year so maybe with another off season he could get to above average defense. I can't say never cause I never would have guessed that CP3 would decline his player option, that Westbrook could be traded once much less 3 times, but I could almost never see a way that someone trades for wall. some quick math says that just to get wall you have to come up with almost 37.7 million in salary. who at this stage possibly has that much salary to move for at best an average PG and most likely a replacement level PG. like as much as I think westbrook is overrated, he is way better then wall at this point. westbrook is far more durable, has the same shooting liabilities, and is a much better scorer and creator.

assuming we are ignoring lillards rookie year, the the best year for wall was 2016-2017
    https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_...&p2yrfrom=2017
    if you want to say that Lilards far superior scoring and turnover rate is balanced by walls passing and defense its not too far off. I don't know that any other year is all that debatable though. it is kinda interesting though that wall and lillard are the same age, but lillard spent 2 more years in college

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast