Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our O-line

Our O-line

Now lets get down to the nitty gritty. It should be more than obvious that A. James does not belong in the NFL. And that A. Leatherwood is probably better suited to play guard. We all know that R. Hudson is almost impossible to replace. But he did ask to be released or traded, so there's no use crying over spilled milk. But we do have one of the best pass blocking centers on the roster in N. Martin. I know it takes time for Martin to learn the new scheme, but how long can we wait? James was terrible last night. Two holding penalties, a bad snap, and he can't block to save his life. Giving him the contract will turn out to be the worst off season move that they made. Putting their faith and money into an unproven player is just pure folly.

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    Now lets get down to the nitty gritty. It should be more than obvious that A. James does not belong in the NFL. And that A. Leatherwood is probably better suited to play guard. We all know that R. Hudson is almost impossible to replace. But he did ask to be released or traded, so there's no use crying over spilled milk. But we do have one of the best pass blocking centers on the roster in N. Martin. I know it takes time for Martin to learn the new scheme, but how long can we wait? James was terrible last night. Two holding penalties, a bad snap, and he can't block to save his life. Giving him the contract will turn out to be the worst off season move that they made. Putting their faith and money into an unproven player is just pure folly.
    As a former O-lineman and coach his problems are fixable but he has to work on the drills to keep his feet chopping or sliding. He will engage without enough leverage and not bring his feet with him. A. Leatherwood reminds me of Upshaw and Upshaw had a stellar career at guard but I still did not see enough of Leatherwood to see him picking up a LB at the next level on run plays.

Except for Miller the whole line is brand new. Leatherwood was respectable last night against a tough defense. He did have a couple of mistakes, but "rookies" usually do. Overall I thought the kid did well. James was having a tough go of it at times, but unlike you Eric, I am willing to let him work to improve. There were moments of ugliness last night from the line, but it's all fixable. Simpson did well and as Hunter said in the game thread that guy we just signed a week ago did such a good job coming in for Goode we didn't even notice.

The one thing that concerns me most is our inability to get the run game going. Jacobs had a couple of runs, but a lot of them were shut down right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by a60rdie View Post
    Except for Miller the whole line is brand new. Leatherwood was respectable last night against a tough defense. He did have a couple of mistakes, but "rookies" usually do. Overall I thought the kid did well. James was having a tough go of it at times, but unlike you Eric, I am willing to let him work to improve. There were moments of ugliness last night from the line, but it's all fixable. Simpson did well and as Hunter said in the game thread that guy we just signed a week ago did such a good job coming in for Goode we didn't even notice.

The one thing that concerns me most is our inability to get the run game going. Jacobs had a couple of runs, but a lot of them were shut down right from the start.
    That's because they were expecting it. The Ravens game planned for Waller. Why would they not game plan for Jacobs as well? I'm not sorry we signed K. Drake. He could run the ball as well as catch it. Jacobs may have been hurting yesterday, but he did score two touchdowns. Drake is here in case of injury to Jacobs.

Quote Originally Posted by attoonly View Post
    As a former O-lineman and coach his problems are fixable but he has to work on the drills to keep his feet chopping or sliding. He will engage without enough leverage and not bring his feet with him. A. Leatherwood reminds me of Upshaw and Upshaw had a stellar career at guard but I still did not see enough of Leatherwood to see him picking up a LB at the next level on run plays.
    Leatherwood played right guard for the Crimson Tide in his sophomore year. The position is not new to him. Everyone knew he had issues with passblocking and thought they could hide them if he played right tackle. But since this is a transition to a new position he now has to learn to wipe his *** with the other hand.

Leatherwood played right guard for the Crimson Tide in his sophomore year. The position is not new to him. Everyone knew he had issues with passblocking and thought they could hide them if he played right tackle. But since this is a transition to a new position he now has to learn to wipe his *** with the other hand.
    I'm ashamed to be feeding the troll...

Leatherwood allowed one sack. one! He had a holding call on a sweep to his side and a very tough to swallow false start at the goal line. The rest of the game he did just fine.

Miller was outstanding last night. You know why? 3 years experience in the NFL! Slow your roll and let the Leatherwood grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by a60rdie View Post
    I'm ashamed to be feeding the troll...

Leatherwood allowed one sack. one! He had a holding call on a sweep to his side and a very tough to swallow false start at the goal line. The rest of the game he did just fine.

Miller was outstanding last night. You know why? 3 years experience in the NFL! Slow your roll and let the Leatherwood grow up.

"...prone to stoogery.".

I don't think Leatherwood was the problem,I think the inside got blown up by campbell,I'm not to fond of this james kid at center,I think we should try him at right guard and let martin play center.

Baltimore should field a top 5 defense this season. They blitz a lot on passing downs. I am willing to give these guys a pass and wait for them to gel. Ingognito will be back and Leatherwood needs more experience.

Why should we tolerate these sacks? B. Parker has improved during his three years in the league. Wouldn't it have been better to play him at right tackle instead of reaching for Leatherwood in the draft? TSN bio actually states that Parker has star potential. It's taken three years for him to develop it just like Miller.

Why should we tolerate these sacks? B. Parker has improved during his three years in the league. Wouldn't it have been better to play him at right tackle instead of reaching for Leatherwood in the draft? TSN bio actually states that Parker has star potential. It's taken three years for him to develop it just like Miller.
    I don't think anyone is tolerating QB sacks. There is definetely room for improvement.

Would anyone like to wager that Leatherwood will have a rookie season similar to what Parker had? But Parker had three years to develop and has improved.

Itís been one game. And we won. Letís give it a couple of games before we freak out.

And donít forget, Baltimore has a good defense. Jacobs was hurting. And Carr threw for over 400 yards.

I thought the O-Line played decent. There were several plays where Carr had a lot of time in the pocket. The ravens defense, has been known to give O-Lines trouble. Let's see how next week goes.
    RNFL

The Ravens were stacking the line just about the whole game. Considering the pressure they brought, I think they did good enough to win. It was game #1. There's always room for improvement, but to say they didn't play well is unfair.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast