Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Justice Stephen Breyer says Biden packing the court will make people 'lose trust' in

Justice Stephen Breyer said reforming the Supreme Court will erode public faith in the institution.

"What goes around comes around. And if the Democrats can do it, the Republicans can do it," he told NPR.

One party could do it, I guess another party could do it. On the surface, it seems to me that you start changing these things around, and people will lose trust in the court," Breyer said in an excerpt of an interview with Fox News' Chris Wallace airing Sunday.

Heís absolutely right on this IMO

https://www.yahoo.com/news/justice-s...155954427.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about Republicans stealing 2 seats? Make the SC 3 Dems, 3 Reps, 3 Independents. If someone were to die or resign. Whomever is the President will have to replace them with whatever party they belonged too. They would take the advice of for example Senate and House Democrats and choose one of their considerations. Same thing if it was a Republican who resigned and a Democrat was President.

SC needs to be non political. Both sides are putting their own ideology instead of following the constitution and precedent.

The trust in the court is already pretty low. And while itís true it could be changed, doing so requires a party to hold all 3 of the Presidency, Senate, and House. So it wouldnít be as often as he believes.

All I can say is, if this conservative court does repeal Roe v Wade (as it appears they may actually do), there will almost certainly be an increase in court members the moment Dems gain all 3 again.

FDR tried to do it and his own VP considered it bs. It's cheating, lol.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    FDR tried to do it and his own VP considered it bs. It's cheating, lol.
    To quote everyone who justified McConnell blocking Obamaís nominee ďitís not cheating if itís allowed.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    To quote everyone who justified McConnell blocking Obamaís nominee ďitís not cheating if itís allowed.Ē
    Keep telling yourself it's the same thing.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Keep telling yourself it's the same thing.
    It is.

By the way, you want to talk about how amazing Florida is at handling Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Justice Stephen Breyer said reforming the Supreme Court will erode public faith in the institution.

"What goes around comes around. And if the Democrats can do it, the Republicans can do it," he told NPR.

One party could do it, I guess another party could do it. On the surface, it seems to me that you start changing these things around, and people will lose trust in the court," Breyer said in an excerpt of an interview with Fox News' Chris Wallace airing Sunday.

Heís absolutely right on this IMO

https://www.yahoo.com/news/justice-s...155954427.html

You 100% would disagree if the move swung the court from liberal to conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    What about Republicans stealing 2 seats? Make the SC 3 Dems, 3 Reps, 3 Independents. If someone were to die or resign. Whomever is the President will have to replace them with whatever party they belonged too. They would take the advice of for example Senate and House Democrats and choose one of their considerations. Same thing if it was a Republican who resigned and a Democrat was President.

SC needs to be non political. Both sides are putting their own ideology instead of following the constitution and precedent.
    How did they steal two seats?
    I get that some people say they had to put Marik Garland on, but then how do you argue again ACB, if you say they shouldn't have put ACB on because it was an election year, then how do you argue that they should have put Marik Garland on.

Also, the idea that is floated that Mitch violated the constitution because he didn't approve Garland seems weak too, the president has the right to nominate whoever they want, it doesn't say that the senate is legally required to place them on the court or even have a hearing for that matter. Just that the president has the power to nominate anyone to the position of SC Justice. And Obama did FOR SURE nominate Merrick Garland.

I don't personally consider it cheating, but I don't know how the Democrats would stop court-packing from happening in the inverse.

Arguments around term limits are much more reasonable and much more likely to get bipartisan support from the public and not just look like a naked power grab.

Also, if you want to say that McConnel went against the norms, or broke the *unwritten rules* that's fair, but he didn't cheat or violate the consitition as so many in the media insist he did.

It is.

By the way, you want to talk about how amazing Florida is at handling Covid?
    Not to bad, you know they have a higher vax rate than Illinois. And as the summer heat dissipates and people don't feel the need to hunker down inside buildings with A/C their numbers will drop. Illinois on the other hand will likely see a spike as winter comes and people spend all day indoors.

If the court was pushed to, say, 21 justices, and the GOP got control again and they wanted to shrink it back down would seniority make the difference and all the new justices would be out?

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post

No such thing as a non-political court. Itís a 6-3 Republican court and needs to be discussed in that manner. And now Breyer is waiting to see if he can get the Anthony Kennedy payout for one or more of his children.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Not to bad, you know they have a higher vax rate than Illinois. And as the summer heat dissipates and people don't feel the need to hunker down inside buildings with A/C their numbers will drop. Illinois on the other hand will likely see a spike as winter comes and people spend all day indoors.
    2nd most cases of any state per Capita, 12th most deaths per Capita. Not too bad? Try just badÖ

Were going to start seeing those numbers shift as winter comes and people in norther and Eastern states start hunkering down, we know that this virus is seasonal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast