Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Kirby Yates as well.
    Yates, Matz, Semien and Ray all expire (36 million combined). Obviously a few of those guys would need big raises if we retain them

Ray and Semien probably $50 mil right ($25 mil each)? Sk gotta close that $14 mil gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Ray and Semien probably $50 mil right ($25 mil each)? Sk gotta close that $14 mil gap.
    Roark closes that gap almost all by himself. But again we need to consider all the arb raises.

Thats true though I just realized he included Matz there who will be brought back.

I would estimate about the same. Who knows, maybe they both exceed 25 per season, but I think 25 is realistic to project for each.

Thats true though I just realized he included Matz there who will be brought back.
    You think that is a lock? Matz might get a decent contract in free agency with his numbers this year. And we still have Stripling. If we resign Ray, Iím not so sure they also keep Matz.

I think they'll move on from Matz, because I don't think they're going to get beat on Ray. They also still have a ton of trade ammunition.

I would suspect if not Matz then another guy at $5-8 mil. Unless they hoping for pearson to take matz role in the rotation or strip.

Yea not following this. They have to extend him to do that and it would probably work our to similar to Tatis in terms of the contracts scaling.
    You same guy who wanted Realmuto signed last off season and Kirk in minors

Not sure how thats fits in the convo.

But pretty sure I said I wanted Kirk in the minors (Ive stated multiple times I generally prefer prospects to spend a year in AAA) and Jannsen starting.

For Realmtuo, I dont think I was pushing for him to be signed as much as compared to other FA (ie DJ).

Steven Matz absolutely needs to be brought back. One could argue he has been our 2nd most valuable pitcher this year behind only Robbie Ray. During this run in the second half they are on, Matz has an ERA of 2.74 over 11 starts....while Berrios has posted a 3.34 with the Jays, Ryu has an ERA over 5 in the second half and Manoah a 3.76. People don't seem to realize that after Pearson and Hatch our minor league system isn't going to produce another SP for at least another 2 years. You also need SP depth and not just 5 arms. We are in compete mode now. You don't let a guy like Matz walk unless someone comes offering mega money.

If anything you can say what you may lose out in Semien you could gain some back in a healthy season from Springer and a full season from Teo. With Springer, Vlad, Bo, Teo, Gurriel and Grichuk they have lots of power from their everyday guys. They have depth at C. They have guys locked up in the bullpen. The main area of focus needs to be SP, and all they need to do is bring back their current staff.

I am curious if we Ryu moved in the off season to clear up 20 million to ensure we don't lose Ray, Semien or Matz. I know Ryu was great last regular season and most of this regular season, but I don't like paying a SP 20 million that I don't even trust to take the ball in a best of 7 series. (...and if we make it this year, I think that is going to be the case. ) To be fair Ray, Berrios and Manoah are all pretty darn good so the bar is now pretty high to make a post season start, but I'd rather give Matz the ball than Ryu in a playoff game right now. I think good teams have figured out they can sit on his change up and still hit his FB. The road to the World Series is going through TB...and I don't think they are going away any time soon. After what they did to him last year I don't know how Montoyo could feel good about giving him the ball again against them in the post season.

Maybebthey feel Strip can be the guy although I dont want him starting.

If Blue Jays are smart they would bring back Ray, Semien, Matz and then get rid of Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    If Blue Jays are smart they would bring back Ray, Semien, Matz and then get rid of Ryu
    I doubt anyone is taking the 2/40 left owing to him after the season he's having. I'm sure if we ate 10-15M though we could probably find a buyer

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I hope for a bounce back. Though it is tough since we are locked into him for 35/36 YO so you may expect decline and we could use that money to actually get us an ace for same AAV that aligns with your current young core

I was thinking the same thing regarding Ryu. Heís currently the problem with our budget.
    Thatís the problem adding old guys to rebuilding rosters. In the grand scheme (hindsight) I think he will have contributed very little to this team by the end of his contract.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast