Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Compensation is after 2nd round nowadays
    They both going to hit jackpot in free agency. Both are having career seasons and have history of up and down seasons. Jay's be paying full blown retail to retain them.

Semien is a 6 WAR. But a rookie like Lopez, or an Espinal would be a 2 or 3 WAR. You are paying 25 million more to gain 3 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    They both going to hit jackpot in free agency. Both are having career seasons and have history of up and down seasons. Jay's be paying full blown retail to retain them.

Semien is a 6 WAR. But a rookie like Lopez, or an Espinal would be a 2 or 3 WAR. You are paying 25 million more to gain 3 wins.
    That's the problem with only looking at the statistical difference, because IMO Semien is leagues better than Espinal. Espinal is also somewhat protected from the grind guys like Semien have to go through. If he were an everyday player, I don't think he'd be hitting in the .290s.

The drop from semien to espinal is major. Thatís like going from prime Bo to goins.

We arenít contending for the playoffs this season without semien and Ray, yet you expect to do it without them next season?

Iím hoping they retain both and fill the holes, not just create new ones.

Chance are theyll put Biggio back in 2B and jist trdae for a 3B if they cant get back Marcus. Or maybe a gap to Grosh if hes ready

Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post
    That's the problem with only looking at the statistical difference, because IMO Semien is leagues better than Espinal. Espinal is also somewhat protected from the grind guys like Semien have to go through. If he were an everyday player, I don't think he'd be hitting in the .290s.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    The drop from semien to espinal is major. Thatís like going from prime Bo to goins.

We arenít contending for the playoffs this season without semien and Ray, yet you expect to do it without them next season?

Iím hoping they retain both and fill the holes, not just create new ones.
    I echo these responses. He also hasn't missed a game all year. He played the full 162 games in 2019 when he finished Top 3 in AL WAR. The consistency is really impressive.

Also, when we start attaching monetary value to WAR, the problem for me is always the thought that adding 5 wins to a 90 win team is a lot harder than adding 5 wins to a 75 win team. There just aren't as many exceptional talents in the MLB that can put up 6-7+ WAR seasons. Supply and demand dictates those players will get paid disproportionately.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I echo these responses. He also hasn't missed a game all year. He played the full 162 games in 2019 when he finished Top 3 in AL WAR. The consistency is really impressive.

Also, when we start attaching monetary value to WAR, the problem for me is always the thought that adding 5 wins to a 90 win team is a lot harder than adding 5 wins to a 75 win team. There just aren't as many exceptional talents in the MLB that can put up 6-7+ WAR seasons. Supply and demand dictates those players will get paid disproportionately.
    Gotta agree. While everyone else in the lineup has gone through cold stretches, Semien has been the one constant. He's a must to bring back, but the only thing that concerns me are things out of our control, like him wanting to play closer to home, or wanting to play SS.

Robbie on the otherhand, I'm kinda on the fence. Not discounting the amazing season he's had, but rather what to expect long term. I'd almost be comfortable with letting him walk, resigning Matz and taking a flyer on someone like Syndergaard.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post
    I wouldn't pay Semien the 25 million. Lopez is going to be the better player.

As in Otto Lopez?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Cringe.

Cringe.
    Semien been one good year one bad year. He had OPS of .679 last year. In 2018 it was .706 OPS. In 2019 it was .892. This year it is .882.

Would you have gave Lindor his contract last year?

Semien been one good year one bad year. He had OPS of .679 last year. In 2018 it was .706 OPS. In 2019 it was .892. This year it is .882.

Would you have gave Lindor his contract last year?
    His off year was the covid season which I donít put any stock into.

Iím definitely assuming they donít give him lindor money.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Gotta agree. While everyone else in the lineup has gone through cold stretches, Semien has been the one constant. He's a must to bring back, but the only thing that concerns me are things out of our control, like him wanting to play closer to home, or wanting to play SS.

Robbie on the otherhand, I'm kinda on the fence. Not discounting the amazing season he's had, but rather what to expect long term. I'd almost be comfortable with letting him walk, resigning Matz and taking a flyer on someone like Syndergaard.
    Ray has Patrick Corbin written all over him. He's likely going to Dodgers. Especially if he wins Cy Young. Which Ray will win.

If Bauer doesn't pitch next year, he's not, his 40 million comes off Dodgers luxury tax.

His off year was the covid season which I donít put any stock into.

Iím definitely assuming they donít give him lindor money.
    Not what i asked?

Not what i asked?
    You asked if I would have signed Lindor to that contract. The answer is no, and was no at the time too. I didnít want a Lindor trade to Toronto.

But you said it in reference to semien. I would not give semien Lindor money, and I assume he wonít get any offers like that.

I would probably be aiming for a 6 year deal around 20mil-25mil annually. If he wants some type of opt out then give it to him.
    Similar idea with Ray. Try to get him on a 3 year deal around 20+mil and give him any opt outs he wants.

I donít think youíre looking for bargains with these extensions. Youíre just trying to keep them around a little longer until young guys are ready to step into their roles.

If they want to chase the big bag now and are getting the bag offered then they can walk for the pick. I donít think they market will see them as a sure bet though. Thatís why my idea is to give them all the opt outs. If they prove theyíre consistent and they think they can get the big 10 year 25 mil contract offer from the dodgers or something then go for it.

There's something to be said about promoting Lopez in that he will be much cheaper, but that also comes with way fewer XBH and no guarantee his performance will translate to the MLB level. He would definitely be a step down.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast