Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Education

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Ah, right. Jim Crow was only about lynching. I must've been sick that day in history class when they taught that the only bad things during Jim Crow was the lynching.
    With that response is it fair to assume that you agree with Biden that the GA voting laws are similar to the 1870 era southern voting laws?
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    With that response is it fair to assume that you agree with Biden that the GA voting laws are similar to the 1870 era southern voting laws?
    Wait, so it wasn't about lynching?

"`Can you explain this gap in your resume?`

`Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemic”" - @LOLGOP

Wait, so it wasn't about lynching?
    Let's play your game. Do you think the GA voting laws are similar to the 1870 Jim Crow era? Simple yes or no. No lynchings required. Yes or no.
    Last edited by dbroncsinmo; 09-24-2021 at 01:18 AM.

Let's play your game. Do you think the GA voting laws are similar to the 1870 Jim Crow era? Simple yes or no. No lynchings requires. Yes or no.
    Yes.

A cornerstone of Jim Crow was "separate but equal." The fact that Georgia, and much of the rest of the south, are doing everything they can to make minority voters wait in long lines to vote and limit early voting is a perfect example of this.

I used to live in a suburb of Atlanta, voted in multiple elections in a city called Sandy Springs. The median household income there is over $76,000; almost 20% of households there make over $200,000 a year. It's the the ninth-most affluent area in the United States. 19% of the population is black. The longest line I ever waited in to vote was maybe five minutes, if I happened to go at an especially busy time. Voting was an absolute breeze.

If I had lived half an hour south and had to vote in Union City, GA, it would've been a different story. Median household income is $45,000. 86% of the population is black. It took some people in Union City more than five hours just to get in the door to vote.

The total number of registered voters in Georgia have increased by nearly 2 million people since 2013; by contrast, the total number of polling places has declined by nearly 10%. The metro Atlanta area has almost half the population of the state and only 38% of the polling places. After 7pm on election day, the average wait time to vote in an area more than 90% nonwhite was 51 minutes; if you lived somewhere 90% white it was only 6 minutes.

So sure, we can call it "equal" in that a polling place exists for them to vote in, but much in the same way the drinking fountains and bus seats and seating areas in diners made things harder if you were a person of color, just getting into the building to cast your vote as is your right is made significantly harder by the decisions officials in Georgia make.

It's not like it's some big revelation that this is their goal, either. They tried the same **** in North Carolina, they just weren't smart enough to hide their reasons for doing it.

`Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemic”" - @LOLGOP

Yes.

A cornerstone of Jim Crow was "separate but equal." The fact that Georgia, and much of the rest of the south, are doing everything they can to make minority voters wait in long lines to vote and limit early voting is a perfect example of this.

I used to live in a suburb of Atlanta, voted in multiple elections in a city called Sandy Springs. The median household income there is over $76,000; almost 20% of households there make over $200,000 a year. It's the the ninth-most affluent area in the United States. 19% of the population is black. The longest line I ever waited in to vote was maybe five minutes, if I happened to go at an especially busy time. Voting was an absolute breeze.

If I had lived half an hour south and had to vote in Union City, GA, it would've been a different story. Median household income is $45,000. 86% of the population is black. It took some people in Union City more than five hours just to get in the door to vote.

The total number of registered voters in Georgia have increased by nearly 2 million people since 2013; by contrast, the total number of polling places has declined by nearly 10%. The metro Atlanta area has almost half the population of the state and only 38% of the polling places. After 7pm on election day, the average wait time to vote in an area more than 90% nonwhite was 51 minutes; if you lived somewhere 90% white it was only 6 minutes.

So sure, we can call it "equal" in that a polling place exists for them to vote in, but much in the same way the drinking fountains and bus seats and seating areas in diners made things harder if you were a person of color, just getting into the building to cast your vote as is your right is made significantly harder by the decisions officials in Georgia make.

It's not like it's some big revelation that this is their goal, either. They tried the same **** in North Carolina, they just weren't smart enough to hide their reasons for doing it.
    I am extremely familiar with Georgia. I travel there at minimum once per month and have been doing that for at least 15 years. I have a close friend and many business associates that live in both areas you are talking about.

What you are leaving out is that both cities are in the same county. Fulton. Couldn't those in Union City make a 30 minute drive and save themselves 3 hours? Or is that 30 minute drive to damn hard? And please....don't pull out the 'black people don't have transportation' argument that dbroncos and valade have been pushing forever. Because that rhetoric ******** is actually as racist as Jim Crow laws.

I am extremely familiar with Georgia. I travel there at minimum once per month and have been doing that for at least 15 years. I have a close friend and many business associates that live in both areas you are talking about.

What you are leaving out is that both cities are in the same county. Fulton. Couldn't those in Union City make a 30 minute drive and save themselves 3 hours? Or is that 30 minute drive to damn hard? And please....don't pull out the 'black people don't have transportation' argument that dbroncos and valade have been pushing forever. Because that rhetoric ******** is actually as racist as Jim Crow laws.
    If you're that familiar with Georgia, then you know that MARTA is a joke.

And while they're in the same county, it doesn't mean you can just go vote in any polling place you feel like. I could no more have voted in Union City than they could've in Sandy Springs.

"ELECTION DAY VOTING

On Election Day, you must vote at your assigned precinct and present a photo ID."

https://sos.ga.gov/index.php/electio...ote_in_georgia

Also, depending on the time of day, that 30 minute drive down 285 could be awful. But also pointless.

If you're that familiar with Georgia, then you know that MARTA is a joke.

And while they're in the same county, it doesn't mean you can just go vote in any polling place you feel like. I could no more have voted in Union City than they could've in Sandy Springs.

"ELECTION DAY VOTING

On Election Day, you must vote at your assigned precinct and present a photo ID."

https://sos.ga.gov/index.php/electio...ote_in_georgia

Also, depending on the time of day, that 30 minute drive down 285 could be awful. But also pointless.
    Fair enough. That's pretty ******. and yes...drive time in ATL is horrific. Most places are not that strict in terms of precinct. In MO, I can vote anywhere in my county.

I agree that is ********. However, I disagree that it is anywhere even near the hemisphere of Jim Crow laws.

Fair enough. That's pretty ******. and yes...drive time in ATL is horrific. Most places are not that strict in terms of precinct. In MO, I can vote anywhere in my county.

I agree that is ********. However, I disagree that it is anywhere even near the hemisphere of Jim Crow laws.
    It was just this last election that you were able to do that in St. Louis Co. If you can do it in St. Charles County, that would be news to me.

Regardless, keeping people from voting was a significant part of Jim Crow. They may not be using dogs and billy clubs to do it, but that doesn't mean the desired outcome or the effect is any different.

It was just this last election that you were able to do that in St. Louis Co. If you can do it in St. Charles County, that would be news to me.

Regardless, keeping people from voting was a significant part of Jim Crow. They may not be using dogs and billy clubs to do it, but that doesn't mean the desired outcome or the effect is any different.
    Here's the thing man. Nobody is keeping anyone from voting. Voting is available to everyone. It might be more difficult for one to vote over the other, but the ability to vote is absolutely there. No bats to the knees, and no guns to the heads. Everyone is free to vote. This is nothing anywhere near Jim Crow.

Here's the thing man. Nobody is keeping anyone from voting. Voting is available to everyone. It might be more difficult for one to vote over the other, but the ability to vote is absolutely there. No bats to the knees, and no guns to the heads. Everyone is free to vote. This is nothing anywhere near Jim Crow.
    Except for felons. Or people that can't wait in line for five hours to vote. Or people that relied on early voting locations that have now been closed.

No one was being stopped from riding the bus. Everyone was free to ride it, they just had to sit in the back. Or give up their seat if it was full. But there would be other buses eventually, sometimes you just had to wait longer. It might be more difficult to get to work or home if you're black, but the ability to ride the bus was absolutely there.

Lol. What do those things have to do with Jim Crow?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Ive never seen you admit you were wrong. Like never, just cheeky one liners

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Either you have vision problems and/or you just are not reading a lot of posts. Try a search on wrong, sorry, etc.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Only you would argue that intentionally forcing black people to have to drive 30 mins out of their way is not racist while saying that is unfair to black people is.

The point isn’t that they can or cannot do it, the point is white people don’t have to, so why do they?

That was literally Jim Crow lol.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Only you would argue that intentionally forcing black people to have to drive 30 mins out of their way is not racist while saying that is unfair to black people is.

The point isn’t that they can or cannot do it, the point is white people don’t have to, so why do they?
    This genius actually thinks that white people don't live in Union City.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast