Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Education

Education

It made sense to me to create a general education thread to discuss any education based things.

Number of people in college down 1.5 million over 5 years, 71% of the drop is male admissions. Women now make up nearly 60% of college students.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college...bshare_twitter

Kind of amazing that it's gotten so bad that schools are taking lesser students just because they are male.

I have two teen daughters and I really don't want them going to college where women wildly outnumber men.
    Last edited by Scoots; 09-07-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Men are still the majority in STEM fields.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Men are still the majority in STEM fields.
    Is that actually true for enrollments in the last year? And the fact that women, who make up 20% more college enrollments than men don't choose STEM fields is a very different issue than men choosing to not go to college.

Medical school has more women than men enrolling for the last 3 years and that I would call a STEM field. Computer engineering enrollment is down in general, but I don't know the gender split there.

Why do you care Scoots about the sex makeup of a school your daughters will go to?
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Number of people in college down 1.5 million over 5 years, 71% of the drop is male admissions. Women now make up nearly 60% of college students.

Kind of amazing that it's gotten so bad that schools are taking lesser students just because they are male.

I have two teen daughters and I really don't want them going to college where women wildly outnumber men.
    To your last sentence, why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

People are finding alternatives to education because we realize itís a scam.

Everybody should be mandated to go to college but it should be free.

I dropped out (Iíll probably go back) because itís so expensive and thereís no point in me paying full price in tuition when classes arenít even 100% in person. Paying 100% of the cost when I only get 60% of the resources? No thanks.

On top of that, people are realizing that computer based programs like QA, Data analytics, science, and so on, are much better alternatives. You donít have to worry about going into debt because these learning institutes give you programs then take out a percentage when you get a job.

On top of that, more people are realizing the value in trade schools.

I blame boomers for shoving college down our throats even though their experience was night and day vs ours.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Do you think they are going to turn into Lezbos?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Why on earth not?

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Why do you care Scoots about the sex makeup of a school your daughters will go to?
    If Scoots is like most fathers, he doesn't want his daughters going to any school where there are men students. Certainly not where is lots of competition for dates and the pressure to do a little extra to get a date.

Dads just remember what they were like and don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post
    If Scoots is like most fathers, he doesn't want his daughters going to any school where there are men students. Certainly not where is lots of competition for dates and the pressure to do a little extra to get a date.

I will wait for Scoots to answer.

For anyone that would think what you have proposed that perhaps do a better job at being a male example to your daughters.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Thats a really weird way to put that. But im actually on your side here.... kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post

What wrong with ďa little extraĒ? Those Dad are raising some entitled girls

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    People are finding alternatives to education because we realize itís a scam.

Everybody should be mandated to go to college but it should be free.

I dropped out (Iíll probably go back) because itís so expensive and thereís no point in me paying full price in tuition when classes arenít even 100% in person. Paying 100% of the cost when I only get 60% of the resources? No thanks.

On top of that, people are realizing that computer based programs like QA, Data analytics, science, and so on, are much better alternatives. You donít have to worry about going into debt because these learning institutes give you programs then take out a percentage when you get a job.

On top of that, more people are realizing the value in trade schools.

I blame boomers for shoving college down our throats even though their experience was night and day vs ours.

Lets not go as far as to call college a scam.

These vocational schools are not just a coincidence in their affordability and earning potentail.

Truth is we need as many programmers and people to fill tech jobs as possible. You are seeing the same thing with medical. As many community colleges and vocational schools now are adding nursing programs. Its not because "college is a scam" its because these job markets desperately need more labor and it forces companies to be less picky on their hirings.

The tech industries only bottle neck is skilled labor. While other less needed jobs dont go to trade schools because it would only flood the labor force of that sector.

Is that actually true for enrollments in the last year? And the fact that women, who make up 20% more college enrollments than men don't choose STEM fields is a very different issue than men choosing to not go to college.

Medical school has more women than men enrolling for the last 3 years and that I would call a STEM field. Computer engineering enrollment is down in general, but I don't know the gender split there.
    Well theres a lot of theories to this.

If you look at the 80s(or early 90s) its actually the highest % of women in the field for computer science.

This is actually a massively talked about subject in gender studies. Because a lot of evidence points to the evolution of the PC as being a huge factor in the massive drop in female labor in the computer science sector.

A lot of people who study gender would argue that it was the subconscience societal decision to label computers a boy thing that lead to the huge drop of women in the field. Basically parents were more likely to buy their sons a PC then their daughters leading to a disproportianate amount of interest from the sexes.

Granted equity should never be a realistic standard IMO but its an interesting way to look how "gender stereotypes" can influence decision making.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast