Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    No he’s not.
    And you know he won't be a candidate next Spring how?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Nick Martini starting a late-September push to be a prime candidate for a 2022 starting role in Cubs OF.
    Iowa Cubs?

2021 Chicago Cubs September IGT Thread

And you know he won't be a candidate next Spring how?
    He’s 31 and he’s not a good mlb level player at all.

Do you think teams give away starting spots to terrible players because they have one random 4 hit game? He’s been awful. You wrote that he could be a “prime candidate” to start in 2022 because he had one good game. C’mon.

He could maybe go start in Korea or in the NPB.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-29-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Nick Martini starting a late-September push to be a prime candidate for a 2022 starting role in Cubs OF.
    Lol. No hes not

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    If Duffy (or Wisdom for that matter) is the opening day 3rd baseman, then the Cubs have made the decision to punt 2022.
    Tbh idk who else they would sign to play 3rd. Baez or Bryant aren't coming back. Hoerner is broken for life.

I really hope they sign one of the big shortstops this offseason but doubt they go big for 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Tbh idk who else they would sign to play 3rd. Baez or Bryant aren't coming back. Hoerner is broken for life.

I really hope they sign one of the big shortstops this offseason but doubt they go big for 3rd.
    Eduardo Escobar could be kind of interesting. Switch hitter, has been alright each of the last four years save for the weird short season. Figure he's still the type of hitter who could get you a not-nothing prospect at the deadline.

Also kinda really into Tommy Pham. He's old, but he brings discipline and a decent number of barrels, two things the Cubs lack going into next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Lol. No hes not

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    You might be right; we'll see in about 6 months.

2021 Chicago Cubs September IGT Thread

You might be right; we'll see in about 6 months.
    He’ll be DFA’d to clear a 40 man space way before 6 months from now.

First it was Wisdom, then Duffy and now Nick Martini? If the Cubs don't plan on competing in 2022, then yeah, all three (most likely two) will be starters on that wonderfully awful 65 win team. If the Cubs plan on, at the very least, competing, then no Duffy/Wisdom and Martini will not be starters, hell they may not even be on the team next year. Same thing goes for Ortega. The only guy with a shot to be a starter on next year's team is Schwindel.
    Screw sabermetics.

First it was Wisdom, then Duffy and now Nick Martini? If the Cubs don't plan on competing in 2022, then yeah, all three (most likely two) will be starters on that wonderfully awful 65 win team. If the Cubs plan on, at the very least, competing, then no Duffy/Wisdom and Martini will not be starters, hell they may not even be on the team next year. Same thing goes for Ortega. The only guy with a shot to be a starter on next year's team is Schwindel.
    Wisdom and Ortega have a very good chance of being regular starters early next year. They need to replace so many roster spots. With Brennen Davis in the pipeline to be in mlb early next year it makes some sense to open the year with Ortega getting CF starts vs RHP and Nico or Hermosillo in CF vs lefties. I don’t believe Wisdom will be good next year, but they have a lot of greater needs than 3b. He can play decent defense and hit a bunch of homers between all the K’s. He’s probably going to get a lot of time at 3rd next year.

Martini should only start if they are desperately trying to get the #1 pick in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Wisdom and Ortega have a very good chance of being regular starters early next year. They need to replace so many roster spots. With Brennen Davis in the pipeline to be in mlb early next year it makes some sense to open the year with Ortega getting CF starts vs RHP and Nico or Hermosillo in CF vs lefties. I don’t believe Wisdom will be good next year, but they have a lot of greater needs than 3b. He can play decent defense and hit a bunch of homers between all the K’s. He’s probably going to get a lot of time at 3rd next year.

Martini should only start if they are desperately trying to get the #1 pick in 2023.
    Is Martini even optionable after this year? If not, there probably shouldn't be a spot on the 40-man for him.

btw a Duffy/Wisdom platoon might work early on in the year. it's not a traditional lefty-righty platoon, but Duffy doesn't have an obvious L/R split over his career and he complements Wisdom's gaping hole at the top of the zone pretty well. they'd need to re-sign him, though. with hoerner and madrigal on the roster, wonder if they'd just let it ride with those two and get an optionable, high contact bat to iowa to have ready when one of those two inevitably has a hamstring tear or something in may.

Problem is they can but theyre not gonna replace all 8 starters and rotation in one offseason...

Some of these guys are sticking and Wisdom a possibility

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Is Martini even optionable after this year? If not, there probably shouldn't be a spot on the 40-man for him.
    I have no idea, but I’m sure he’ll be removed from the 40 man this offseason.

Maybe they’ll give him a minor league deal, but with all the names they need to add to the 40 I can’t imagine they’d let Martini hold a spot all winter.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast