Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 381
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    10,128
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    I would just rather not keep him around any longer than currently obligated.

    Earlier Contreras was throwing everyone but Baez under the bus for slacking. And didn't Baez make some comment about getting fresh voices after going to the Mets? If that's the case then why the hell would you want to extend the guy who was on guard for all of this? From the start it felt more like a hire simply because he was familiar and part of the gang and not so much about his capabilities to actually manage a baseball team.

    We dumped Joe Maddon because he was too loose with the players and we hired David Ross? A buddy and former teammate of the entire dugout? Wtf?
    Simple answer, he probably their new sveum/renteria who will keep the seat warm until the roster established again..



    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Simple answer, he probably their new sveum/renteria who will keep the seat warm until the roster established again..



    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Neither one of those guys were allowed to finish their initial contracts let alone get extended and they had worse rosters to manage.

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    10,128
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Neither one of those guys were allowed to finish their initial contracts let alone get extended and they had worse rosters to manage.
    Most to maybe all these guys wont be around in 2-3 yrs when the roster really good again...

    Their 3 best hitters now are two 30 yo rookies and a guy who has played in 146 major league games in last 9 seasons til this one ( Ortega)..



    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Most to maybe all these guys wont be around in 2-3 yrs when the roster really good again...

    Their 3 best hitters now are two 30 yo rookies and a guy who has played in 146 major league games in last 9 seasons til this one ( Ortega)..



    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    What is your point?

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    14,890
    I have no issues with Ross. He did a fine job last year and this year he was dealt a losing hand. If Jed thinks Ross is the right messenger for this team, then fine.

    Ultimately this rebuild will dependent on their willingness to acquire talent and Jedís ability to make correct decisions.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    10,128
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I have no issues with Ross. He did a fine job last year and this year he was dealt a losing hand. If Jed thinks Ross is the right messenger for this team, then fine.

    Ultimately this rebuild will dependent on their willingness to acquire talent and Jedís ability to make correct decisions.
    Also, Jed about to hire a new GM
    So, maybe or maybe not but it could give the new GM a couple extra years to just focus on players and then see how Ross and the new players all fit together

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    61,027
    The new GM won't be hiring the next manager as long as Hoyer is here. Hoyer is the VP. He's the decision maker.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,532
    What are considered the problems with Ross? The clubhouse-under the hood stuff is just speculation and guessing until we hear something from anyone on the inside.
    What weíve seen is teams with a thin, flawed roster get out of the gate and play well for 60-70 games. Which might be something.
    He seemed to handle the bullpen well when he had one. Not watching as much, does he have any bad tendencies? He doesnít seem to bunt much with position players, which is good.
    Itís just a little hard to judge him with the goofy 60 game season last year and the decision to tank on the fly this year.
    Last edited by Cubboy; 09-25-2021 at 02:53 PM.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    61,027
    I've got zero issues with Ross. He's been fine. He mostly makes the right choices for the lineup, the BP management is mostly good. He seems to be in lockstep with baseball ops which is good. Ross is a fine manager.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,789
    Looks like another Hoyer loss; no Chafin, no Tepera. Oh, that's right, we want Cubs to lose to get that better draft pick. Never mind, Mr. Hoyer.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    47,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Looks like another Hoyer loss; no Chafin, no Tepera. Oh, that's right, we want Cubs to lose to get that better draft pick. Never mind, Mr. Hoyer.
    Every single result is immaterial right now. Unplug yourself.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,833
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I have no issues with Ross. He did a fine job last year and this year he was dealt a losing hand. If Jed thinks Ross is the right messenger for this team, then fine.

    Ultimately this rebuild will dependent on their willingness to acquire talent and Jedís ability to make correct decisions.
    I thought Ross made a lot of weird moves last year especially on the running game, but no complaints with him this year. I thought his hire was lame at the time because he was too friendly with guys, but I'm ok with an extension, there's barely anyone left from 2016 anyways. He's still probably too much of a nice guy but he's a decent manager overall it seems.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,319
    Think we can still get that 5th pick. Would be dope if we could lose at least 2 against the pirates next series.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    10,128
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Think we can still get that 5th pick. Would be dope if we could lose at least 2 against the pirates next series.
    Slight chance, problem comes not only the Pirates but the Cardinals if they clinch a WC spot will probably rest guys next weekend.

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    47,498
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Slight chance, problem comes not only the Pirates but the Cardinals if they clinch a WC spot will probably rest guys next weekend.

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Counterpoint: the Cubs will have the same pitchers

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •