Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 57 of 104 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 855 of 1552
  1. #841
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    101,400
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Two things:

    1. There are professional, licensing consequences involved for doctors and pharmacists involved in violating the law. That is done by the state.

    2. Imagine a state doing this with any other Constitutional right. Report on a news story and you can be sued for $10,000. Go to a church and you can be sued for $10,000. If you can be sued, lose, and have to pay attorneys fees, then there is no universe in which you can call that a right you have the free exercise of.
    Imagine a bounty on those precious 2nd Amendment rights.

  2. #842
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    41,248
    Someone is arrested for a crime against you and exercises their right to remain silent? Sue them for $10,000!

  3. #843
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    101,400
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Someone is arrested for a crime against you and exercises their right to remain silent? Sue them for $10,000!
    Arrest me for a crime! $10,000 please!

  4. #844
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    43,981
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Two things:

    1. There are professional, licensing consequences involved for doctors and pharmacists involved in violating the law. That is done by the state.

    2. Imagine a state doing this with any other Constitutional right. Report on a news story and you can be sued for $10,000. Go to a church and you can be sued for $10,000. If you can be sued, lose, and have to pay attorneys fees, then there is no universe in which you can call that a right you have the free exercise of.
    Donít be mistaken: heís against this law. Heís just going to argue vehemently for it and with everyone who is for itÖ

  5. #845
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Is there any reason, other than fear, to think this court will overturn Roe v Wade?

    Do we know when the Minnesota case is on the schedule?
    Trump literally said he wouldnt nominate any justice unless they would overturn it.

    The only reason it wouldnt at this point is the politucal backlash it would receive before the midterms.

  6. #846
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    101,400
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Trump literally said he wouldnt nominate any justice unless they would overturn it.

    The only reason it wouldnt at this point is the politucal backlash it would receive before the midterms.
    Yea Iím not surprised they voted against his petulant attempts to retain power. But the Federalist Society is in favor of eliminating abortion. That is one of their planks.

  7. #847
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    43,981
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Trump literally said he wouldnt nominate any justice unless they would overturn it.

    The only reason it wouldnt at this point is the politucal backlash it would receive before the midterms.
    I donít know if it will happen, but anyone acting like it isnít at least a distinct possibility is naive at this point.

  8. #848
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    108,519
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Trump literally said he wouldnt nominate any justice unless they would overturn it.

    The only reason it wouldnt at this point is the politucal backlash it would receive before the midterms.
    Always was one of those that believed that republicans never really wanted to overturn RvW because itís always used as the hook to get conservatives to vote for them.

    Though I think they would not do anything to try and revoke current laws like in Texas either.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #849
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    101,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Always was one of those that believed that republicans never really wanted to overturn RvW because itís always used as the hook to get conservatives to vote for them.

    Though I think they would not do anything to try and revoke current laws like in Texas either.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are always other red meat issues for the base if they got rid of Roe.

  10. #850
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    41,248
    Plus, they'll just run on making sure people can't pass abortions rights again. We start giving pregnant people more autonomy than a corpse and then where will we be?


    "`Can you explain this gap in your resume?`

    `Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemicĒ" - @LOLGOP

  11. #851
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,251
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    No, but Iím not claiming to. Iím claiming I think they will (or might) decide a certain way. Are you saying you have zero ability to form an opinion on something that may happen in the future? If the Supreme Court rules the Mississippi law is OK would you think it more likely theyíll uphold Texasí law or overturn Roe?
    Are you under the impression that upholding the Texas law (or not taking the case) is the same as overturning Roe v Wade?

    Right now I don't think the court is going to overturn Roe v Wade.

  12. #852
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,251
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Two things:

    1. There are professional, licensing consequences involved for doctors and pharmacists involved in violating the law. That is done by the state.

    2. Imagine a state doing this with any other Constitutional right. Report on a news story and you can be sued for $10,000. Go to a church and you can be sued for $10,000. If you can be sued, lose, and have to pay attorneys fees, then there is no universe in which you can call that a right you have the free exercise of.
    1. But those consequences are several steps from the performing of abortions. Not that it's reasonable, just that it's an argument.

    2. You can be sued while exercising other protected rights too. It's just going to be an interesting argument.

  13. #853
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,251
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Imagine a bounty on those precious 2nd Amendment rights.
    People are regularly sued for exercising those rights

  14. #854
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,251
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Donít be mistaken: heís against this law. Heís just going to argue vehemently for it and with everyone who is for itÖ
    Do you only talk about things you agree with and support?

    For instance, can you say anything positive and supporting of any team in the NFL that is not the 49ers? Can you talk about the aspects of a play called by a coach on an opposing team without supporting the team?

  15. #855
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    41,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Are you under the impression that upholding the Texas law (or not taking the case) is the same as overturning Roe v Wade?

    Right now I don't think the court is going to overturn Roe v Wade.
    I'd love to hear how it would not be overturning Roe.


    "`Can you explain this gap in your resume?`

    `Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemicĒ" - @LOLGOP

Page 57 of 104 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •